Bills acquire WR mike Williams

Hope you're wrong, or we're going for Ebron. We need more Offensive weapons.

That post was actually an initial, gut reaction to the move and based less on what the Bills would do at 9 and more on what I thought it meant TB would do at 7, namely, draft Evans before we could. That said, I don't think this move should preclude the Bills from taking him at 9 if he is there. For many reasons - his overall potential, college production, mismatch possibilities, immediate impact, pure measurables, ceiling as a franchise #1 WR, We don't have anyone like him and few other teams do either. But that assumes they are sold on Evans. I am, I don't know if they are.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I was totally kidding. Someone woke up on the sensitive side of the bed. I agreed with your post about this being low risk.

Oh yeah?

My apologies for misrepresenting your intentions. I am probably overly sensitive to "misrepresentation" since people like to twist words around here.

I can't imagine why they would blow big bucks on a RB right now. Unless, of course, they are looking to shop Spiller (or maybe offers are already on the table). CJ2K would break the bank. I don't like it one bit.

The way the RB market is, I think CJ2K could be had for about 4M a year with incentives... I would prefer to not shop Spiller, but I fear we won't be able to keep him around... Signing Johnson could give us a back up plan if Spiller rolls... Lots of angles to look at, but I stockpiling weapons is a great idea if it comes at a reasonable price. Can you imagine if we sign Johnson and one of the top 3 tackles falls to 9??? Not trying to be a homer too bad here, but I think this is the year we get over the .500 hump and slide into the playoffs

Man, I'm late to the party. But I did have the chance to look things over and deliberate before I joined in the fray.

I love the move. Because of his contract set-up, he has a very low number for this year, and that has the very last of his guaranteed money. If Over the Cap is right (and they are usually pretty good) while his contract number is high (6.8 million cap hit), he can be cut without a dime of dead money. This means that A) He has a Pro Bowl season that justifies paying that much or B)He under-performs or is average and we cut him or C) He is average and we renegotiate his contract. In any case, we add a veteran to a position that sorely needed one.

For people who are saying "He's not a "open even when covered"" guy, watch this reel from 2012:

Admittedly, that is a lot of Vincent Jackson, but Williams knows how to position his body well to make the catch and has a truly dangerous vertical jump. Looking over his measurables he reminds me a lot of Sammy Watkins. He looks a hair slower (4.5 s to 4.4) while being a hair bigger (6'2 rounded as opposed to 6'1 rounded).

All for the cost of a 6th round pick.

thanks for posting that. I really like how he battles for the ball, making catches on balls that should've been INTs.

This is like holding a lit bomb. He just can`t stay out of trouble. Coming back home ,with the homies ,spells trouble. Some things you just can`t fix. Hope I`m wrong.

You said homies. Ahahhahahaha. Do homies still exist ?

Which one of his transgressions was comparable to a lit bomb ?

Young guy w money gets DUI ? Like 50% of your homies haven't done the same ?

Man, I'm late to the party. But I did have the chance to look things over and deliberate before I joined in the fray.

I love the move. Because of his contract set-up, he has a very low number for this year, and that has the very last of his guaranteed money. If Over the Cap is right (and they are usually pretty good) while his contract number is high (6.8 million cap hit), he can be cut without a dime of dead money. This means that A) He has a Pro Bowl season that justifies paying that much or B)He under-performs or is average and we cut him or C) He is average and we renegotiate his contract. In any case, we add a veteran to a position that sorely needed one.

For people who are saying "He's not a "open even when covered"" guy, watch this reel from 2012:

Admittedly, that is a lot of Vincent Jackson, but Williams knows how to position his body well to make the catch and has a truly dangerous vertical jump. Looking over his measurables he reminds me a lot of Sammy Watkins. He looks a hair slower (4.5 s to 4.4) while being a hair bigger (6'2 rounded as opposed to 6'1 rounded).

All for the cost of a 6th round pick.

Great post.

For anyone doubting this, just check out this portion of that highlight reel:

He out jumps the CB in the endzone for the score. Full extension type out jumping. He used every inch of his 6'2" frame and 34 inch vertical

There is almost zero risk for the Bills with this move. Only costs 1.8 million; that is nothing for a potential #1 WR... yes, I do think he has the potential to be a #1

Mike Williams is my favorite 6th round pick of the Bills of last decade

I don't know what's being discussed on WGR, or what was talked about in the other 20 pages of this thread that I'm not going to go back and read, but this could have perhaps been a sheer genius move, because it puts a hole at WR that TB would likely try to draft at #7 to replace, with Evans. I would have liked to have had Evans, but MW is still a skilled WR who would likely deliver similar results in this next season. Since TB now drafts Evans (hypothetically, of course), the #2 tackle prospect who some had projected them to take could definitely slip to us. So we upgrade our WR corps and force a better player to fall to us, all for the price of a 6th round pick!