Today I cried.....

One thing comes to mind:

When I was growing up, I had a Jim Kelly home jersey--the "cheap" kind, with the numbers painted on. I could have cared less if it was cheap, to me it was priceless. I must have worn it 6 days a week, and the only reason I didn't wear it seven was because Saturday was laundry day. I wore and washed it so much the numbers peeled off. So I got another one the next year, because I just couldn't go without my Kelly jersey those days. The jersey probably cost around 50$ back then--which for a kid with a dad who had just been laid off was (I realize now) quite a bit of money. Eventually, the numbers peeled off that second jersey too. The name faded off the back, and that was the last jersey I ever owned--17 years ago.

Since then, I've debated many times about buying another jersey. 2 things have held me back. I'm a grown man now, married, with real life expenses like car payments and a mortgage. The thought of spending 75-100$ on a shirt with another mans name on the back--a man who is younger than me by a decade--seems extravagant at best and pathetic at worst. But even if I decided to buy a jersey, the more pressing issue has always been WHAT jersey to buy?

At one point I thought a Poz jersey would be nice. But seeing those around the stadium now just seems ridiculous. Will the same hold true for Alonso in 5 years? I hope not, but if history is any indication, we'll be seeing his name on the back of a Steelers jersey by 2018. Good thing I never got another QBs jersey--from Bledsoe to Edwards to Losman to Flutie to Manuel to Fitzpatrick. Each have had windows where they looked like they could be great... and some of them even were great for a few games... hell Manual might even become great eventually... but none of them transcend the field, transcend the team, or transcend the sport.

So, today I'm going to spend the 150$ to get the only jersey a Bills fan should ever own:

http://www.shopthebi...ntic-royal.aspx

The authentic version of the jersey I wore as a kid. And I'll wear this one every game day for the rest of my life. Maybe that's excessive, but I don't much care. Jim Kelly has always been the Bills to me, and he always will be. So when the Bills are struggling through another 5-11 tragedy this year, at least I can look down at that jersey and remember the days when Ralph Wilson Stadium was Rich Stadium, when December games were about securing home field advantage if not the division, and a trip to the Super Bowl was just a few wins away.

And when the Bills finally do win the Super Bowl, I'll be proud to be celebrating in a Jim Kelly jersey. Hopefully he'll be watching it too, in good health. But if he's not, I'll at least be able to remember him in that moment, because he deserves that too, as much as any of us fans.

Just like all of you, the Bills are a part of my life. As a cancer survivor, cancer is part of my life.

I'm proud to call Jim Kelly my hero.

Now I cried twice. What a beautiful sentiment, thanks for sharing. Stay gold Johnny...stay gold.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone interested, I just googled "cancer of the jaw treatment option".

There is some interesting information out there. I work in medical devices and in cancer, but in other areas of the body. You can find lots of information on recurrent cancer treatments. What I think has been kept private is what stage of cancer was Jim dx? Stage 1-4, were there lymph nodes involved, and has it mets'd to another area of the body. I believe if it did not travel into the lymph nodes, that oral cancer does not normally travel to other areas. We have to hope as he can beat this if just in the jaw, and nowhere else.

He may have to receive a partial resection of his jaw. I believe now they have some plastic surgery options if he does require a resection. Who cares what you look like if you can maintain your health.

We're pulling for you Jimbo, and for everyone at TBD, thanks for these meaningful posts. There are a lot of caring people following this website. It just reminds me how much I miss Buffalo at times. The best part of Buffalo are the people from there. My wife always laughs at me as anytime I meet someone from Buffalo down here in FL, She states it's like you guys are a fraternity. She's right.

God bless to all those who stated their losses to cancer.

MGK

One thing comes to mind:

When I was growing up, I had a Jim Kelly home jersey--the "cheap" kind, with the numbers painted on. I could have cared less if it was cheap, to me it was priceless. I must have worn it 6 days a week, and the only reason I didn't wear it seven was because Saturday was laundry day. I wore and washed it so much the numbers peeled off. So I got another one the next year, because I just couldn't go without my Kelly jersey those days. The jersey probably cost around 50$ back then--which for a kid with a dad who had just been laid off was (I realize now) quite a bit of money. Eventually, the numbers peeled off that second jersey too. The name faded off the back, and that was the last jersey I ever owned--17 years ago.

Since then, I've debated many times about buying another jersey. 2 things have held me back. I'm a grown man now, married, with real life expenses like car payments and a mortgage. The thought of spending 75-100$ on a shirt with another mans name on the back--a man who is younger than me by a decade--seems extravagant at best and pathetic at worst. But even if I decided to buy a jersey, the more pressing issue has always been WHAT jersey to buy?

At one point I thought a Poz jersey would be nice. But seeing those around the stadium now just seems ridiculous. Will the same hold true for Alonso in 5 years? I hope not, but if history is any indication, we'll be seeing his name on the back of a Steelers jersey by 2018. Good thing I never got another QBs jersey--from Bledsoe to Edwards to Losman to Flutie to Manuel to Fitzpatrick. Each have had windows where they looked like they could be great... and some of them even were great for a few games... hell Manual might even become great eventually... but none of them transcend the field, transcend the team, or transcend the sport.

So, today I'm going to spend the 150$ to get the only jersey a Bills fan should ever own:

The authentic version of the jersey I wore as a kid. And I'll wear this one every game day for the rest of my life. Maybe that's excessive, but I don't much care. Jim Kelly has always been the Bills to me, and he always will be. So when the Bills are struggling through another 5-11 tragedy this year, at least I can look down at that jersey and remember the days when Ralph Wilson Stadium was Rich Stadium, when December games were about securing home field advantage if not the division, and a trip to the Super Bowl was just a few wins away.

And when the Bills finally do win the Super Bowl, I'll be proud to be celebrating in a Jim Kelly jersey. Hopefully he'll be watching it too, in good health. But if he's not, I'll at least be able to remember him in that moment, because he deserves that too, as much as any of us fans.

Just like all of you, the Bills are a part of my life. As a cancer survivor, cancer is part of my life.

So many excellent thoughts up here.

But this one really tugged at the ole heartstrings.

Thank you Johnny .

Joining in this community and wishing JK and family all the best thoughts and prayers for recovery and strength. Without question my number one sports hero of all time and yet such a mixed blessing life.

The good Lord never promised a smooth journey whan you choose to walk with him, yet does promise a time when all tears will cease to be.

My dad just had very successful kidney and lymph node treatment at Roswell and swears by that place and the professionals thet work there.. I don't understand why Jim doesn't check them out. Aren't they the best in the world?

Man this really sucks. I hope by God that Jim can make it to Andre's induction ceremony. I am choking up already just thinking about it. God bless.

Edited by jethro_tull

Cancer is a brutal, frightening disease. It can affect almost every part of the body. Fortunately, real progress is being made in its treatment. Let's hope that they caught it early enough. The first time required surgery with no additional treatment, which indicates that the lymph nodes were not involved. This time it appears that they detected it before it spread to the lymph nodes. But upon a second occurrence, chemotherapy and radiation are automatic.

Obviously, Jim is scared, the family is scared. But, his type of cancer has been successfully treated before. Jim is an extremely resilient individual, so if anyone can beat it, he can.

Cancer is a brutal, frightening disease. It can affect almost every part of the body. Fortunately, real progress is being made in its treatment. Let's hope that they caught it early enough. The first time required surgery with no additional treatment, which indicates that the lymph nodes were not involved. This time it appears that they detected it before it spread to the lymph nodes. But upon a second occurrence, chemotherapy and radiation are automatic.

Obviously, Jim is scared, the family is scared. But, his type of cancer has been successfully treated before. Jim is an extremely resilient individual, so if anyone can beat it, he can.

No doubt that they are making great progress.

Do you know that it hasn't spread to the lymph nodes? I'm not really sure what is going on. He seems to be in the hospital for the third time this week, but I'm not sure what treatments he's getting.

I met Jim Kelly as a child and he couldnt have been nicer. Very down to earth. Always available to the public. Took the time to sign everything we brought. ( Football, a picture of him, 2 Bills rain jackets, etc.) My father had a physical condition as a child that left him crippled and he seemed to give special attention to him, calling him Bubba and so on. I hope he can beat this thing. Id take another ten years of no playoffs for this team if thats what it took for him to pull through. This team would not be the same without his constant support and love. Jim is obviously known for one hell of a tough guy and quarterback but a hell of an inspirational speaker too. Love you Jim Kelly. Thanks for everything youve done for our team and the area. I feel theres nothing anyone can do to equal what you've given of yourself on and off the field. You can pull through this!

If positive, the risk for male breast cancer is higher. Also, a positive male can pass the gene to his child.

Yeah, I emailed my sister after the above discussion, and her test came back negative, so great news. She doesn't have the gene............She said I'm still supposed to go, which I have replied Why?!?

One thing comes to mind:

Excellent and touching post.

http://www.nflshop.com/Buffalo_Bills_Jerseys/Mitchell_And_Ness_Jim_Kelly_Buffalo_Bills_Super_Bowl_XXV_1990_Authentic_Throwback_Jersey_-_White

No doubt that they are making great progress.

Do you know that it hasn't spread to the lymph nodes? I'm not really sure what is going on. He seems to be in the hospital for the third time this week, but I'm not sure what treatments he's getting.

Unfortunately I'm only guessing. None of the reports that I've read have indicated what stage the cancer has reached or whether it's reached the lymph nodes. Not sure why none of the people covering the story haven't asked the doctors. That would be my first question......unless they're waiting for some tests to come back.

This truly is ominous. For a recurrence so soon after resection. Makes one wonder about the completeness of the original resection--and the decision not to recommend adjuvant chemo/radiation.

I hope for the best...

I always wonder when chemo/radiation is not recommended the first time around. Cancer is such a hard to detect, ****&y disease, that I wonder why they don't do chemo/radiation every time to kill it off. I'm not a doctor, so I'm sure there is a medical reason. I know chemo in some instances has been linked with causing leukemia, but I think in most instances it destroys the cancer. Hopefully he is getting chemo this time, and they caught it before it spread too far. God Bless Jim in his 2nd round with cancer. Hope he KO's the Cancer!

Also, here are some links for anyone interested in donating to cancer research:

https://www.stbaldricks.org/donate

http://www.cancerres...g/giving-to-cri

http://www.self.com/health/2012/10/cancer-charities-rankings-slideshow#slide=1

Edited by RyanC883

Yeah, I emailed my sister after the above discussion, and her test came back negative, so great news. She doesn't have the gene............She said I'm still supposed to go, which I have replied Why?!?

You could be a carrier of the gene even if one parent had it.

Your post would carry much more gravitas if you knew what adjuvant therapy actually is. (Hint: it's neither radiation or chemo)

You're joking, right?

I hope he's joking. Xrt and chemo are frequently used in the adjuvant setting....and also in definitive treatment plans...and also in the neo-adjuvant setting. Too many variables/disease types to say which and when here. But, that 'hint' is non-factual.

Unfortunately I'm only guessing. None of the reports that I've read have indicated what stage the cancer has reached or whether it's reached the lymph nodes. Not sure why none of the people covering the story haven't asked the doctors. That would be my first question......unless they're waiting for some tests to come back.

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know why a reporter isn't writing a story with the known facts, either. Everything we are getting seems to be a tweet here, and a blog post there, etc.