ESPN: Bills' backup plan for Byrd underwhelming

Pitta

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only underwhelming because it's an unknown. If the Byrd "replacement" ends up being a first ballot Hall of Fame safety and plays 10 years of Pro Bowl level football for the Bills, then it appears "better".

If the queen had a dick she's be the king.

To be fair to ESPN, SS is second only to TE as the weakest position on the team. That does not mean things can change and the young players can develop. But as it looks right now the second safety spot whether in coverage or run support is below average to horrible.

This article would be more compelling if it were written after final cuts. There's a lot that can happen between now and then.

Great point. There will be more players with real skills getting released as the offseason progresses for all kinds of reasons. Post draft releases can get really interesting.

If Williams ends up being better than Bryd as some have suggested that's great, but the question is if who ever takes the spot opposite of Williams is better than Bryd. I like the young group we got, but to rely on 2nd year or rookies with zero snap experience can't make us a better team next year. I still think we're going in the right direction. Go Bills

What amazes me is fans still whining about Byrd. He is gone, he was vastly overpaid, he didn't want to be here ... oh and he is gone so time to move on.

We still have people lamenting players that walked over a decade ago, and your surprised there's lingering discussion of how an all pro was handled the last two weeks?

I wished Buffalo could have signed Jairus, but the price would have been too high. I believe the Bills made a good decision. Jarius missed the first 5 games of the season, giving a good sample of games to compare the bills pass defense with him and without him.

Combined opponents QB stats Without Jarius (5 games)....106-197 54% ,1307 yards, YPA 6.6, YPG 261, 9 INT, 9TD . QBR 70.8 , 2 wins 3 losses

Combined opponents QB stats With Jarius (11 Games)......204-364 56%, 1964 yards, YPA 5.4, YPG 178 14 INT,19TD. QBR 72.6% 4 wins 7 losses

I do not see any improvement when he returned that justified the money he was asking. The plan they had last year to replace him produced similar results they got with him. JMO

WHOA WHOA WHOA! I see you only have 9 post on TBD so let me inform you now. We don't use stats here as an actual measure of a players talent/worth. We only go on what we think of the player and how the organization does things. :flirt:

Not to mention we were without Gilmore for the first 5 weeks. So that was with Williams at CB and Leonhard at safety (and I believe searcy and mckelvin on the other side of the ball).

I am nearly at the point where ESPN should get the same status BleacherReport does around here.

At least B.R. tries to make us feel better. ESPN only covers the Bills when we sign some high profile name in the off-season or they have nothing else to write about so they just figure "Let's blast the Bills some more"

Edited by The Wiz

At least B.R. tries to make us feel better. ESPN only covers the Bills when we sign some high profile name in the off-season or they have nothing else to write about so they just figure "Let's blast the Bills some more"

It's not their job to "try to make us feel better," and that article is hardly "blasting the Bills."

We heard you the first time. If my memory is active this is time 639.

Well then can the repeated Byrd threads. If its allowed that there is thread after thread after thread whining about Byrd being gone, Buffalo sucks because they didn't keep byrd blah blah blah then I have a right to respond on them. And K-9 hit it on the head, 639? Hell I have a long way to go to catch up

We still have people lamenting players that walked over a decade ago, and your surprised there's lingering discussion of how an all pro was handled the last two weeks?

Yeah I forget, sorry. I am shocked someone still isn't whining about RJ, JP or Trent leaving