ESPN: Bills' backup plan for Byrd underwhelming

Pitta

Really! I have a friends who are Giants fans, Jets fans, Miami fans, etc. We all talk smack about each other teams. While from time to time, the comments can become annoying especially after such a long run of no playoffs, we should all know deep down that it is really just all in fun. When you can no longer realize that, it's time to find a new pass-time.

Sports writers and fans from other teams are going to take jabs at our team. As far as I am concerned, it's their job. If NE starts losing, I'm pretty sure some of us might take a shot or two at a NE fan. This stuff should just role off your back. Of course that doesn't mean you can't return the favor when their team screws the pooch.

Edited by Rockinon

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This article would be more compelling if it were written after final cuts. There's a lot that can happen between now and then.

exactly, as they will probably draft safety Ha ha Clinton-Dix with that #9.

This team would be the same without draft DB's in the first round all the time.

While I'll admit to being under-impressed by Williams and Meeks as rookies, I really don't see how the Bills could have done much more to prepare for Byrd's departure... A 4th and a 5th round pick as insurance against losing a player you thought you would retain is not terrible planning...And I'm not going to put a tremendous amount of worry into how the two kids looked as rookies trying to adjust from College to Pettine's system...Both Duke and Meeks have excellent athletic ability and they started a combined 60 games in College...There is some potential there...That being said I'm certain another vet will be signed, or the Bills will Draft another Safety...Maybe both... B-)

The backup plan for Byrd is actually pretty good. He's being replaced by a higher draft pick with better athletic skills who showed well at the position last year.

The better question is about the backup plan for replacing A Williams at SS. There are worse places to start than a returning 3 year veteran who has shown flashes, including some big play ability, and two second year players.

Besides, I'm not sure any "backup" plan for a departed All Pro would be adequate a mere three weeks after losing him. Let's see how it plays out before judging.

GO BILLS!!!

We're picking Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. That's our backup plan. Searcy/Duke Williams/Meeks aren't starting players. Aaron Williams should stay at SS, not move to FS

The chances of the Bills using a 1st round pick on a Safety are not very good...They're almost non-existent and would only happen in a trade down scenario...IMHO of course... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

We're picking Ha-Ha Clinton Dix. That's our backup plan. Searcy/Duke Williams/Meeks aren't starting players. Aaron Williams should stay at SS, not move to FS

I sincerely doubt it...they not draft solely based on need, but they aren't going to reach for a guy they don't feel deserves to be picked at 9. They'll most likely go BPA, which is, IMO, the correct way to draft.

you mean like the whole 11 months since he was drafted?

I think he means Aaron Williams.

While I'll admit to being under-impressed by Williams and Meeks as rookies, I really don't see how the Bills could have done much more to prepare for Byrd's departure... A 4th and a 5th round pick as insurance against losing a player you thought you would retain is not terrible planning...And I'm not going to put a tremendous amount of worry into how the two kids looked as rookies trying to adjust from College to Pettine's system...Both Duke and Meeks have excellent athletic ability and they started a combined 60 games in College...There is some potential there...That being said I'm certain another vet will be signed, or the Bills will Draft another Safety...Maybe both... B-)

You were under-impressed by two players that took virtually zero snaps last season? Do tell.

For american males aged 18-34, we're the team that hasn't made the playoffs in 14 years, and hasn't won a playoff game since the 90s.

For non american males or women aged 18-34, did the Bills make the playoffs in the last 14 years?

The backup plan is sound as far as I can tell. Aaron Williams to FS where he played well early in the season last year and Searcy or maybe we pick up someone for SS.

I sincerely doubt it...they not draft solely based on need, but they aren't going to reach for a guy they don't feel deserves to be picked at 9. They'll most likely go BPA, which is, IMO, the correct way to draft.

I think he means Aaron Williams.

Oh, Aaron Williams who we had not seen play safety until 8 months ago? That makes much more sense (not directed at you B).

Oh, Aaron Williams who we had not seen play safety until 8 months ago? That makes much more sense (not directed at you B).

I would much rather keep A. Williams at SS and have Duke battle it out with a FS we draft in first 3 rounds.

There is no easy way to replace Byrd as many here would like to believe but what's done is done.

should we try and bring Leonhard back as a "veteran" safety blanket? I think he said '14 was giong to be his last season.

Edited by bobobonators

Aaron Williams can make plays and he's a few years younger than Byrd. Byrd has had injury issues, especially recently. Williams can make the move to FS and either Duke Williams, Searcy or Meeks will step into the SS role. They should bring in someone else via the draft to compete too.

The backup plan for Byrd is actually pretty good. He's being replaced by a higher draft pick with better athletic skills who showed well at the position last year.

The better question is about the backup plan for replacing A Williams at SS. There are worse places to start than a returning 3 year veteran who has shown flashes, including some big play ability, and two second year players.

Besides, I'm not sure any "backup" plan for a departed All Pro would be adequate a mere three weeks after losing him. Let's see how it plays out before judging.

GO BILLS!!!

Doesn't Aaron Williams play strong safety?

I find Byrd to be underwhelming. Williams was just fine with Searcy and Byrd isn't great in run support, which Williams and Searcy are.

I wouldnt say I found Byrd underwhelming but I def think he is overrated a bit by some fans. Aaron Williams will be just as good if not better then Byrd at FS and one of Duke, Meeks, or Searcy will win the SS job.I actually think Searcy could play well in this defense as Swartz tends to play his SS closer to the line where he excels but from what I read the coaches like him in the role he was in last year so he may stay there. Like it or not the Bills drafted Duke and Meeks for this reason so they at least have a couple young players on the roster they anticipated moving into the starting role if Byrd left. They didnt have anyone in place if Levitre left so I dont think the situations are the remotely the same

Aaron Williams can make plays and he's a few years younger than Byrd. Byrd has had injury issues, especially recently. Williams can make the move to FS and either Duke Williams, Searcy or Meeks will step into the SS role. They should bring in someone else via the draft to compete too.

I'd much rather keep A. Williams at SS. I've read many comments about how simple it seemingly is to move a player from SS to FS and have him succeed.

IMO, FS position is much more instinctual than physical. And like we know, instincts can't be taught - you either have them or you don't. Byrd had them. He was able to diagnose passing plays very well and was usually in the right place at the right time.

SS is more of a masher-type position which relies more on physical strength and tackling skills than coverage skills.

Can A. Williams play FS? Possibly. But it could also be a disaster.

This. DW was actually highly regarded as an NFL safety prospect. He slipped for character reasons and those have been resolved - this is per Duke's HC at Nevada who is Bill Polian's son Brian in an interview I heard after the draft.

I'm excited to see Duke play (if he does end up starting). I never saw him play in college, so unfortunately i can't formulate my own opinion. I have read very positive reviews on his play from his college days.

Doesn't Aaron Williams play strong safety?

Even though Pettine uses his safeties interchangeably AT TIMES, Williams was our "center fielder" with Searcy assuming SS coverage responsibilities most of the time. A Williams manned Byrd's spot all through OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and regular season until he had to go back to CB when injuries struck last year. When Byrd returned, A Williams took over for Searcy at SS, which makes sense because you want your best players on the field.

Given his superior athletic ability and ball skills as well as Searcy's preferable size and experience at SS, I'd be surprised if A Williams lined up anywhere but FS most of the time.

GO BILLS!!!

It's only underwhelming because it's an unknown. If the Byrd "replacement" ends up being a first ballot Hall of Fame safety and plays 10 years of Pro Bowl level football for the Bills, then it appears "better".