Why no love for Carrington?

oman128

Carrington had a breakout year in 2012 playing DT, plus he was great at blocking kicks, so it's a mystery why we didn't resign him. If he didn't get hurt in 2013, I think he'd be signed already to a good contract.

I know we signed Branch, as a backup but I figure Carrington is better than Bryant and Stefan and can play DT or DE. Plus I figure Kyle Williams has 2 or 3 years before he retires or gets traded, same for Branch. It would be good to have an experienced backup rather than a rookie.

Finally, I don't see Carrington breaking the bank and is good depth. he's been on the market for a week and still not signed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrington had a breakout year in 2012 playing DT, plus he was great at blocking kicks, so it's a mystery why we didn't resign him. If he didn't get hurt in 2013, I think he'd be signed already to a good contract.

I know we signed Branch, as a backup but I figure Carrington is better than Bryant and Stefan and can play DT or DE. Plus I figure Kyle Williams has 2 or 3 years before he retires or gets traded, same for Branch. It would be good to have an experienced backup rather than a rookie.

Finally, I don't see Carrington breaking the bank and is good depth. he's been on the market for a week and still not signed.

Well, no, he's not better than Branch. He and his agent, Eugene Parker (shocking, I know), turned down the offer he was given, he tore one of his quadriceps (lord knows how mobile he is now), and, no offense, but rumors of his "breakout season" are greatly exaggerated. So, any 'love' for him would have been surprising, IMO.

His loss, as far as I'm concerned. Have fun in Oakland, but would love to have you back.

I would say Alex Carrington is receiving about as much love as he and his career deserve, so far. I know they are not the most credible sources/sites...but I have seen Schefter and others tweet about him visiting the Rams, Raiders and Steelers. I would take him back on a decent deal, but won't lose sleep if he signs elsewhere. Not a big loss for Buffalo.

"Rams interested in Carrington."

http://fansided.com/...lex-carrington/

"Carrington visits with Oakland."

http://www.nationalf...ed-Raiders.html

"Carrington's visit with Steelers goes well."

http://www.behindthe...-visit-steelers

EDIT: Apparently we can add Pettine and the Browns to the list...

http://www.dawgsbyna...alex-Carrington

One more interesting article..."Alex Carrington not visiting Rams, raising questions about his free agency strategy"

http://www.behindthe...alex-Carrington

Edited by Bob Malooga

Carrington has been screwed by the Bills. His best position is DE. He would be a good player to bring back at DE. Of course he can then go down and pass rush from DT position and play Hughes at DE. I hope they bring him back. If not they will have to add a DE in the draft.

Its a change in the game. 5-6 years ago was the top for the DE. 10-12 years ago was in its best light and he would have been signed quickly for good money. Today's DE's are athletic and play all over the field without just rushing the QB. Combine that with the attempt at LB a few years ago and you can see he is limited in his ceiling. He was only starting after big waste Mark Anderson went down.

why does anybody even pick Parker as an agent..seems all he does is make dealing with teams a chore...

He gets his clients paid and doesn't care what fans think about those players he represents. Peters, Crabtree, Byrd, etc.

Carrington is an average NFL player best suited to being a 5 technique DE. Buffalo won't be playing that scheme and they've already paid 3 DT's.

Carrington has been screwed by the Bills. His best position is DE. He would be a good player to bring back at DE. Of course he can then go down and pass rush from DT position and play Hughes at DE. I hope they bring him back. If not they will have to add a DE in the draft.

Why? Teams need to cater their scheme to depth players?

He gets his clients paid and doesn't care what fans think about those players he represents. Peters, Crabtree, Byrd, etc.

Carrington is an average NFL player best suited to being a 5 technique DE. Buffalo won't be playing that scheme and they've already paid 3 DT's.

Carrington was the second player he had get injured on the last year or franchise tag. Byrd could be considered his3rd if you say that the injury lowered his value.

Whaley said they offered him a contract but after signing Branch I don't think they will fight for him or overpay. He and Parker are exploring the market and will find a better offer.

Only because the Bills probably pulled their offer. Yet no one seems to want him, probably because he and his agent are delusional regarding what he's worth at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Carrington fires him, as several other players have.

Carrington screwed himself. Or more precisely, Parker did. F them both.

I would love to have Carrington back on a 1 year "prove it" deal. I think he has some potential and would provide excellent depth for our d line. Hell he'd probably start oppositie Mario when we go 4-3, I know he was at the top of the depth chart last season before his unfortunate injury. Although with the Branch re-signing this seems unlikely at best.