Geoff Schwartz OG - Bills are interested

MClem06

"Bills are interested in speaking to guard Geoff Schwartz." - Patrick Moran, Buffalo Sports Daily

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/28/4856386/chiefs-show-interest-in-bringing.html

Seems like an intriguing proven guy to replace the whole that is on the line since Levitre left. He helped AP rush for his record year at Minnesota and was the best lineman for KC last year.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bills are interested in speaking to guard Geoff Schwartz." - Patrick Moran, Buffalo Sports Daily

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/28/4856386/chiefs-show-interest-in-bringing.html

Seems like an intriguing proven guy to replace the whole that is on the line since Levitre left. He helped AP rush for his record year at Minnesota and was the best lineman for KC last year.

I don't dislike it but I am hoping for RT above LG in free agency. LG can be had in rounds 2-3 a lot more easily than RT IMO. Now Schwartz AND Collins would be interesting to me.

I'm all for it, but do we want to pay him Levitre money? Is that suddenly acceptable salary for a guard, a year later, now that we've seen the perils of setting up an affordable turnstile at that position?

It would be interesting to see the discussion around here concerning that. So many posters here asserted that you simply don't give that kind of money to an OG.

Schwartz has a LOT of size over Andy, and is a different kind of blocker at the position, so maybe the Bills will feel that, yes, this is the kind of guy we want to pay elite guard money to.

We'll see.

I don't dislike it but I am hoping for RT above LG in free agency. LG can be had in rounds 2-3 a lot more easily than RT IMO. Now Schwartz AND Collins would be interesting to me.

Not disagreeing, but the iron is hot as regards free agents, and it's less of a gamble. Money is money and if the guy is a failure, he'll be cut before he sees all of it. But this is a guy with experience in the league, coming highly rated from a winner. It's not a simple "he comes from the Steelers, he must be good" a la Legursky.

Also, you're competing with all 31 other teams for draft picks and hoping that your choice doesn't go before your slot, or maneuvering to increase certainty. Then the kid has to learn and develop. I don't hate the strategy and I'd draft one reguardless (see what I just did there).

Also, what if you miss in the draft - either by losing out on the guy you wanted, or reaching? Then we're back to the bargain bin...

article shows that Schwartz might want multiple millions but that the Chiefs at this point are only 9.62 mil under the cap...oddly enough to the right in the article it has a headliner of Byrd being a good fit for Chiefs...if they cant afford 2-4 mil / year for an OL'man how do they suppose the Chiefs could afford 8 - 11 mil / year for Byrd??..lol...

is it my eyes or does my font look different in certain spots here ^...?

Edited by Tsaikotic

They could and should have made a run at Schwartz last offseason. Instead, they suffered through a season with no LG, and now they're going to have to pay quite a bit more to get him. It's the same shortsightedness that we've seen time and time again from the Bills - they are always a penny wise and a pound foolish...

Anyhow, glad they're trying to fill the hole, even if it's a season late.

While I'd prefer a RT as well, I don't think one precludes the other. I also like a LOT of the RT prospects in the draft...imagine getting a guy like Jack Mewhort or Morgan Moses in round 3...

I'm all for it, but do we want to pay him Levitre money? Is that suddenly acceptable salary for a guard, a year later, now that we've seen the perils of setting up an affordable turnstile at that position?

It would be interesting to see the discussion around here concerning that. So many posters here asserted that you simply don't give that kind of money to an OG.

Schwartz has a LOT of size over Andy, and is a different kind of blocker at the position, so maybe the Bills will feel that, yes, this is the kind of guy we want to pay elite guard money to.

We'll see.

I would say that Scwartz would be worth closer to Vasquez money than Levitre money:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/louis-vasquez/

I'd like to get him for less though...

If possible, would really like to see Schwartz 2.0 come to Buffalo to help this Offensive line and give EJ some real veteran help and size, while Drafting another Guard...IMHO, Offensive line outside of Wood and Glenn was the worst unit on the field, closely followed by the WR corp...so, getting a proven guy in Schwartz and then spending a 3rd on a Guard would be great....I know the BILLS like that J.J. Ugga (sp?) but they NEED another proven Guard to do it all, run and pass block that isn't beyond his best years yet....

We'll see.

Not disagreeing, but the iron is hot as regards free agents, and it's less of a gamble. Money is money and if the guy is a failure, he'll be cut before he sees all of it. But this is a guy with experience in the league, coming highly rated from a winner. It's not a simple "he comes from the Steelers, he must be good" a la Legursky.

Also, you're competing with all 31 other teams for draft picks and hoping that your choice doesn't go before your slot, or maneuvering to increase certainty. Then the kid has to learn and develop. I don't hate the strategy and I'd draft one reguardless (see what I just did there).

Also, what if you miss in the draft - either by losing out on the guy you wanted, or reaching? Then we're back to the bargain bin...

I just think between Su'A-Filo, Jackson, Yankey, Turner and Richardson you can certainly get 1 in the 2nd and they will be a day 1 starter. Gabe Jackson is one of my favorite players in the draft. I think that there are some really good options there that can play. If you are looking at a tackle I guess that you are hoping for Morgan Moses who may or may not be there.

They could and should have made a run at Schwartz last offseason. Instead, they suffered through a season with no LG, and now they're going to have to pay quite a bit more to get him. It's the same shortsightedness that we've seen time and time again from the Bills - they are always a penny wise and a pound foolish...

Anyhow, glad they're trying to fill the hole, even if it's a season late.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with money--they obviously felt like they had a guy that could do the job...criticize their evaluation if anything (and I do)

http://www.kansascit...n-bringing.html

He's going to replace the whole line?

I saw this on Walter Football as well but haven't been able to track down anything about it. Can anyone find a link that speaks more about this or was it said on a radio show?

It would be a great signing and sounds like one of the guys Whaley was talking about when mentioning that they would be aggressive. As for the wanting RT or LG he can actually play both which allows for some flexibility in the draft. Whatever the bpa is at either of those positions can be selected and Schwartz can play the other spot.

He took over as the Chiefs’ right guard in Week 12 because of an injury to Jon Asamoah, starting five of the next six games, only resting for the Week 17 game against San Diego. Schwartz showed his versatility in that game, however, as he played right tackle. He played in 14 games total last season, including three at left guard, where he also made one start.

It also appears that he played some rt for the Panthers. It does appear that G is his best position but RT isn't out of the question.

While I'd prefer a RT as well, I don't think one precludes the other. I also like a LOT of the RT prospects in the draft...imagine getting a guy like Jack Mewhort or Morgan Moses in round 3...

I would say that Scwartz would be worth closer to Vasquez money than Levitre money:

http://www.spotrac.c.../louis-vasquez/

I'd like to get him for less though...

I'd like to, too, but is that realistic? I suppose it could be if you guarantee more of it -

Something like a $6MM bonus, 4 year deal with a roster bonus in there in year 2 - basically insurance against loafing in year 1, and guarantee the first year. Team option for year 5 at a nice raise?

Overdorf, move over, I'm taking your f---ing job.