Anyone know where to stay in Boston?

I am going to go to a red sox game this year, I know nothing about the city. I would like to stay somewhat near the city with maybe train access to Fenway park. I don't need a 5 star hotel, just a nice place to stay near some attractions near by. I dont mind doing some walking. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Edited by westside

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go to a red sox game this year, I know nothing about the city. I would like to stay somewhat near the city with maybe train access to Fenway park. I don't need a 5 star hotel, just a nice place to stay near some attractions near by. I dont mind doing some walking. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Hi Westy - good seeing you around brother.

I like staying in the Back Bay. From there you can walk or take the T. If your primary concern is cost, use a site like priceline.

Yep. I'm a Boston vet, and the Back Bay is by far my favorite area to stay. Lots to do and see, great restaurants and bars, easy to get to Fenway. I love the Back Bay area.

Just to add to what has already been said, subway access to Fenway will be fairly simple if you stay anywhere in the city. Back Bay would likely wind up being just a walk, so it does have that going for it.

I am a die hard Red Sox fan. Going to fenway park is on my bucket list. I have always been interested in American history. So, what better place than Boston?

Thanks Chef, at least this advice is for something good. Is there any hotels anyone can recomend in the back bay? Is a safe area? I will probably be going by myself, so I would want a hotel in a area with stuff for a guy to do. Thanks everyone.

Edited by westside

I love Boston. What don't you like about it? I mean, I don't know if I would love living there, but I've visited dozens of times and always enjoyed myself.

my wife loves Boston after our last visit. i hated it. overpriced rooms. overpriced beers. hotel staff pointing us to a chain restaurant. too many touristy spots. Cheers, really? getting lost 12 times. silly, precious wharf area. Legal Seafoods, blech: service was terrible, food just as bad.

now, the North End was good, particularly Regina's pizza.

but, to me, it came off as a town that comes off as feeling superior, without any real reason to feel superior about itself, perhaps, kinda like a Toronto with a better history.

took 3 days to find a $3 beer, and trust me, i looked. wasn't until we were tipped off to some upstairs joint that didn't have a name that we finally found something.

bah!

left me with a real bad taste.

jw

of all the places i've visited in the U.S., from Key West to Seattle, Bangor to San Diego, Boston ranks as my absolute worst. ... oh wait, nearly forgot: Wilmington, NC.

Edited by john wawrow

Wow John, that sucks. I am mostly going to see the sox play. Anything after that is a bonus.I was thinking about driving down around Portland maine for a day trip. I heard it is pretty nice there.

Key west is on my list. How would you rate it John? It seems like a really laid back place. Which I would love.

I am a die hard Red Sox fan. Going to fenway park is on my bucket list. I have always been interested in American history. So, what better place than Boston?

Thanks Chef, at least this advice is for something good. Is there any hotels anyone can recomend in the back bay? Is a safe area? I will probably be going by myself, so I would want a hotel in a area with stuff for a guy to do. Thanks everyone.

The Mandarin Oriental and The Fairmont Copley Plaza are both very, very nice. Pricey, but nice. I've gotten lucky in the past using Priceline.com and found myself getting cheap rooms at both of those hotels. I'm a huge Sox fan myself, and trust me, just being at Fenway Park for a ballgame and walking around Yawkey Way and Lansdowne before it starts makes the trip well worth it no matter what else you do.

my wife loves Boston after our last visit. i hated it. overpriced rooms. overpriced beers. hotel staff pointing us to a chain restaurant. too many touristy spots. Cheers, really? getting lost 12 times. silly, precious wharf area. Legal Seafoods, blech: service was terrible, food just as bad.

but, to me, it came off as a town that comes off as feeling superior, without any real reason to feel superior about itself, perhaps, kinda like a Toronto with a better history.

took 3 days to find a $3 beer, and trust me, i looked. wasn't until we were tipped off to some upstairs joint that didn't have a name that we finally found something.

bah!

jw

of all the places i've visited in the U.S., from Key West to Seattle, Bangor to San Diego, Boston ranks as my absolute worst. ... oh wait, nearly forgot: Wilmington, NC.

I'll concede that the hotels are pretty damn overpriced, but you face that in virtually any big city. Particularly Boston though, since it is smaller than New York and therefore doesn't have as many options hotel-wise. I think the dining is fairly priced and out of this world. I would stay away from Legal Seafood. It's just okay, more of a chain. Some of the best seafood I've ever had in my life has been in Boston, though. Island Creek Oyster Bar, Neptune Oyster and Pauli's are great in the North End. Atlantic Fish Company in Back Bay is very good. Also a couple along the waterfront (Which is an excellent area to be) that I can't recall the names of. Try those local choices rather than Legal.

Overall, I find Boston to have a very similar feel to Chicago, another city I absolutely love. Scaled-down versions of New York City with more college-like atmospheres, unique cuisine and historical hot spots. I love the feeling of being in a "Big" city, yet still being able to get away from the hustle and bustle without actually being away from it. I think Boston provides that.

Edited by Lt. Dan's Revenge

Wow John, that sucks. I am mostly going to see the sox play. Anything after that is a bonus.I was thinking about driving down around Portland maine for a day trip. I heard it is pretty nice there.

Key west is on my list. How would you rate it John? It seems like a really laid back place. Which I would love.

Portland's an old town. drove through it. looked kind of ragged and depressed. if you're into shopping, drive up to Freeport to LL Bean Store.

just got back from Key West. it's over-priced, too, but for good reason. the place is small. the beauty of Key West is that there's nothing to do there but eat and drink and soak up the sun in the winter time. and that's not a bad thing. it's an adult vacationland, though many of the drinks are watered down and overpriced.

if you ever get to Key West, go off the beaten path and find Don's Million Dollar Bar. it's a hole-in-the-wall place run by a South Buffalo guy. his place attracts locals, cabbies, strippers, bartenders as opposed to the tourist crowd. also has the cheapest beers in Key West -- $3.50.

if you go to Key West, you need to stay overnight in order to enjoy it. my wife and i stayed on points, which is what made it affordable -- particularly during peak season -- January-March. otherwise, you're in for a minimum $200 a night.

we stayed on points, too, in Boston. best part of the trip as far as i was concerned, was leaving.

jw

bah!

jw

They don't call them mass holes for nothing.

The Mandarin Oriental and The Fairmont Copley Plaza are both very, very nice. Pricey, but nice. I've gotten lucky in the past using Priceline.com and found myself getting cheap rooms at both of those hotels. I'm a huge Sox fan myself, and trust me, just being at Fenway Park for a ballgame and walking around Yawkey Way and Lansdowne before it starts makes the trip well worth it no matter what else you do.

I'll concede that the hotels are pretty damn overpriced, but you face that in virtually any big city. Particularly Boston though, since it is smaller than New York and therefore doesn't have as many options hotel-wise. I think the dining is fairly priced and out of this world. I would stay away from Legal Seafood. It's just okay, more of a chain. Some of the best seafood I've ever had in my life has been in Boston, though. Island Creek Oyster Bar, Neptune Oyster and Pauli's are great in the North End. Atlantic Fish Company in Back Bay is very good. Also a couple along the waterfront (Which is an excellent area to be) that I can't recall the names of. Try those local choices rather than Legal.

Overall, I find Boston to have a very similar feel to Chicago, another city I absolutely love. Scaled-down versions of New York City with more college-like atmospheres, unique cuisine and historical hot spots. I love the feeling of being in a "Big" city, yet still being able to get away from the hustle and bustle without actually being away from it. I think Boston provides that.

went to Neptune. shrug.

best places to eat are in the North End. some of the best Italian food around.

as for big cities, i love big cities, and i wouldn't hesitate to spend $220 a night at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott any time, then consider ever going back to boston.

don't take this personally, Lt Dan. this is not at all directed at you. it's simply a reflection of the revulsion i have for Boston, which i have real difficulty explaining, but it ranked as my worst vacation.

jw

Key west is small and sucks.

Best part of key west is the drive getting there. Once you're there, you're like "where is it?", "this is it?"

Dont go to Key west.

bah!

jw

Listen to you. Not liking something because is comes off as feeling superior. :lol:

$3 beers?? :sick:

Edited by Chef Jim