Are the Quarterbacks going to start dropping?

Bridgewater and Bortles will still go in the top ten but I think Manzeil stops to bottom of first round and maybe top of second

IMO he is a third round pick but bc of position he plays and who he is he will go much higher then he should

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to read too deep into everything but I think that Cassel staying in Minnesota is a good thing. I thought that he was destined for Houston. I think that Houston probably goes QB now which will hopefully force the hand of 2 of the other 3 in the top 5 teams seeking QB.

Bridgewater and Bortles will still go in the top ten but I think Manzeil stops to bottom of first round and maybe top of second

IMO he is a third round pick but bc of position he plays and who he is he will go much higher then he should

I think vast majority of Scouts rate Manziel higher than Bortles...And I mean the vast, vast majority...The thing that will push JF down is the fact that you have to have a plan for him and he's not going to fit every Offense whereas Bortles is more of the prototype...But I'm getting the vibe from the people I follow closely, and I think K-9 will back me up on this, that Bortles is getting beat up a bit in the evaluation process, and most people feel he would have been better served by staying in school...On the other hand most feel JF is ready for the NFL, but he's such a unique totally different QB it scares some off him a bit...

Here's a little quote from 30 year NFL Scout Greg Gabriel on Johnny Football..."Overall, Manziel is unique. He is not for everyone. The team that drafts him has to have a plan and play to his strengths. He is not nor will he ever be a conventional pro style drop back passer. While Manziel lacks ideal NFL quarterback size, there are top quarterbacks in the league that also possess less than ideal size. Drew Brees is list as being 6’0, but he isn't. Russell Wilson is under 5’11. If I had to compare Manziel to another NFL quarterback I would say he is part Wilson, part Brees and part Brett Favre. It obviously remains to be seen if he will have the success of those players."

Edited by KOKBILLS

I agree with KOKBILLS on this one, as there is No Way Manziel makes it out of the top ten.

If he does make all the way to the 9th pick, then the Bills might have to rethink the entire EJ thing. They can also screw some team to the wall for picks, as they would be crazy to not trade back at this point in picking up multiple picks for Johnny Football.

10,000 yards of offense in two seasons with the Aggies. I would bet the farm some clubs have this kid as their #1 overall over Clowney.

Found these...

"I’ve been saying 4 weeks and I will say until I believe differently, but the Texans are taking a quarterback. I’ll be shocked if they don’t."

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) March 3, 2014

"I told you last week Texans wouldn't be signing Matt Cassel. And they won't be trading for Ryan Mallett, either."

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) March 9, 2014

No one follows the Texans as closely as McClain...He's very well respected... B-)

Yea I've seen McClain doing the "Texans are going Quarterback" rounds. But equally he has consistently said "they haven't decided who yet." Which means they haven't fallen in love with one..... I think they probably will go Quarterback now Cassel has re-signed in Minnesota but I think they will be forcing a pick rather.

Yea I've seen McClain doing the "Texans are going Quarterback" rounds. But equally he has consistently said "they haven't decided who yet." Which means they haven't fallen in love with one..... I think they probably will go Quarterback now Cassel has re-signed in Minnesota but I think they will be forcing a pick rather.

Well...

To be honest I could really care less about the Texans...Though obviously as a Bills fan I hope they take a QB...Just thought it was interesting that just about everybody and their mother seems to be trying to push "Clowney to the Texans" when the reality is still QB...And according to McClain at least it's been QB...Trying to push the "3 QB's wont go in the top 8" agenda becomes awfully hard, if not impossible, if the Texans go QB at #1 overall...It becomes nearly impossible if the Texans go Bortles at #1 overall...

The national media nowadays is doing a real poor job of actually looking at each team and what is really happening on the ground...Like last year with the Bills and Tavon Austin...The Bills were going QB...If you followed the team like most of us did you knew that...Yet report after report was Austin to the Bills...The best info comes from the local guys with inside connections and a real feel for the pulse of the franchise...Or Jay Glazer...That guy is money... :lol:

And again I'm not saying any of these QB's deserve to go #1 overall...Just saying that in 2014 QB desperation often trumps the big board... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Found these...

"I’ve been saying 4 weeks and I will say until I believe differently, but the Texans are taking a quarterback. I’ll be shocked if they don’t."

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) March 3, 2014

"I told you last week Texans wouldn't be signing Matt Cassel. And they won't be trading for Ryan Mallett, either."

— John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) March 9, 2014

No one follows the Texans as closely as McClain...He's very well respected... B-)

Agreed. There's no way Houston doesn't take a QB. They don't have one!

I just don't see it...I think at least 1 QB drops like a stone.

Maybe so...But there is still the chance Carr replaces the one that drops...Not that I would take him that high...But there is a lot of buzz about Carr moving up according to Charles Davis...And normally I would not think much about it...But I do think Davis usually gets good information...So...This thing is far from over and teams have plenty of time to talk themselves into taking a QB high... B-)

Not only will he not drop out of the 1st round, in my humble opinion, he will go #1 overall. He will be a good to very good QB immediately. Who knows, after that.

His pocket awareness, athletic ability, will make us wish that we had him rather than EJ (who can still be a good QB ).

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd revisit this as I've seen a number of mock drafts in the past week that do have a shaken up Quarterback order.

The one consensus among them all seems to be that if the Texans hold station at #1 they will select Blake Bortles with the pick. After that is where it gets interesting. Almost every other mock I've seen from the past week has either Manziel or Bridgewater (or in a couple of cases both!) slipping out of the top 10. However, every mock I've seen still has at least 2 QBs off the board before the Bills pick, and most still have 3 - with Derek Carr seemingly back in the top 10 mix - at least with the "mockers".

I think 2 going in the top 8 now looks the Bills' worst case scenario, whereas their best case is obviously all 4 (Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel and Carr) going inside the top 8 and pushing the other talent down. I think a lot is dependant on two things... 1. Do Houston move back? 2. If they don't and they take Bortles then I think Jacksonville's pick becomes key. If they go QB that might make the Browns, Raiders, Buccs and Vikings a little edgey about whether waiting until the second round might leave them looking for a supposed second tier prospect.... in that scenario I can see all 4 of the perceived top QBs going before the Bills pick. That should be enough to guarentee Evans is still on the board but it might throw up the intriguing scenario where Watkins is too giving the Bills a choice to make. I'd still go Evans but I know a lot of people love Watkins.

I thought I'd revisit this as I've seen a number of mock drafts in the past week that do have a shaken up Quarterback order.

The one consensus among them all seems to be that if the Texans hold station at #1 they will select Blake Bortles with the pick. After that is where it gets interesting. Almost every other mock I've seen from the past week has either Manziel or Bridgewater (or in a couple of cases both!) slipping out of the top 10. However, every mock I've seen still has at least 2 QBs off the board before the Bills pick, and most still have 3 - with Derek Carr seemingly back in the top 10 mix - at least with the "mockers".

I think 2 going in the top 8 now looks the Bills' worst case scenario, whereas their best case is obviously all 4 (Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel and Carr) going inside the top 8 and pushing the other talent down. I think a lot is dependant on two things... 1. Do Houston move back? 2. If they don't and they take Bortles then I think Jacksonville's pick becomes key. If they go QB that might make the Browns, Raiders, Buccs and Vikings a little edgey about whether waiting until the second round might leave them looking for a supposed second tier prospect.... in that scenario I can see all 4 of the perceived top QBs going before the Bills pick. That should be enough to guarentee Evans is still on the board but it might throw up the intriguing scenario where Watkins is too giving the Bills a choice to make. I'd still go Evans but I know a lot of people love Watkins.

I think Houston would be crazy to not take Clowney at #1 and then a QB in the 1st pick of the 2nd. Word is they love Garropolo.

I hope we trade back if a bunch of QBs are taken in the top 8.

Curious as to why? If QBs are taken in the top 8 that means that some very good players (top 1 or 2 at their position) will be available at 9.

I see the other possibility. If any of the 3 drop and are available at 9 I think the prospects of moving back are higher.

Curious as to why? If QBs are taken in the top 8 that means that some very good players (top 1 or 2 at their position) will be available at 9.

I see the other possibility. If any of the 3 drop and are available at 9 I think the prospects of moving back are higher.

Or we could just take one

Don't understand how a team who had some of the worst QB play in the league last year could not be at least thinking of taking one of the top 3 QB's if they drop