Replace Byrd with the Champ

Obviously several factors come into play (his price tag and would he come), but I think the Bills should go after Champ Bailey. He's not the same cornerback as he was, but even if he is a step slower than his 4.28 40, he's plenty face to be a FS. The guy knows everything about secondary play and it's been a successful transition from aging corner to FS in the past (Rod Woodson, Aeneas Williams, Troy Vincent, even Byrd from college).

On top of the fact he would be a good centerfield, what Bailey could bring as a leader to young players would be invaluable. Also, the old Bills would let Byrd go and then use their 1st round pick to replace him. Bringing in Bailey allows the team to address other needs in the draft. Thoughts?

I agree about Leadership, but after watching him in the playoffs, I think that he has not aged well!

Agreed about his corner play but at FS, you don't need the physical skills. It's more about instinct and ball skills. Aaron Williams is our thumper back there. But IMO, Bailey could be a guy who could get you 5 ints as a FS.

That would be great. Is he a Free Agent? I think the Broncos will focus on trying to get to the Superbowl one more time. This will be Mannings last hurrah unless he get hurt during the regular season.

That would be great. Is he a Free Agent? I think the Broncos will focus on trying to get to the Superbowl one more time. This will be Mannings last hurrah unless he get hurt during the regular season.

Yeah, they released him but he has no plans on retiring. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2014/03/05/longtime-cornerback-champ-bailey-released/6104473/

I agree about Leadership, but after watching him in the playoffs, I think that he has not aged well!

A tad harsh. Not many corners can play at his level after 15 years in the league. I think he slowed up a bit because he had that lisfranc injury.

By the way, I read he still wants to play corner, so I doubt we make a run at him.

A tad harsh. Not many corners can play at his level after 15 years in the league. I think he slowed up a bit because he had that lisfranc injury.

By the way, I read he still wants to play corner, so I doubt we make a run at him.

His agent needs to get in his ear. I think Champ the S has more value than Champ the corner at this point. S is more forgiving on your body and it doesn't just rely on physical skills, which are slipping for a guy who is 35.

No thanks, he's done IMO. This is a young team that is emerging and don't need a 63 year-old safety. Duke Williams should get the 1st crack at the SS position with AW at FS. They would be fast, physical and good in run support. I would try to resign Leonhard, let him Searcy and Meeks be your depth. I am not really concerned about the safety position. It may not be what it was but I still expect them to be pretty good.

Either what you read was erroneous or he changed his tune:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/05/champ-bailey-says-hed-be-open-to-playing-safety/

No thanks, he's done IMO. This is a young team that is emerging and don't need a 63 year-old safety. Duke Williams should get the 1st crack at the SS position with AW at FS. They would be fast, physical and good in run support. I would try to resign Leonhard, let him Searcy and Meeks be your depth. I am not really concerned about the safety position. It may not be what it was but I still expect them to be pretty good.

He's 35, not 63! :nana: I think a good comparison with Bailey is Rod Woodson. IMO, Woodson was the best all around cb I've seen (Deion didn't tackle). Bailey was in the same mode and I think he's a HOF. Woodson switched to FS at age 34 and played until 38. He made 4 pro bowls and had a career high 8 ints as a 37 year old. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodRo01.htm

If we could get 3 years out of Champ, wouldn't that be a worthy signing?

Champ has always depended a lot on his speed. That has faded and his performance with it. He is also very unreliable because he has become fragile due to age. How many games has played the last two years? I don't think Champ ever played safety.

He's 35, not 63! :nana: I think a good comparison with Bailey is Rod Woodson. IMO, Woodson was the best all around cb I've seen (Deion didn't tackle). Bailey was in the same mode and I think he's a HOF. Woodson switched to FS at age 34 and played until 38. He made 4 pro bowls and had a career high 8 ints as a 37 year old. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WoodRo01.htm

If we could get 3 years out of Champ, wouldn't that be a worthy signing?

Woodson is a good comparison and I too agree that he was the best corner that I ever saw. With that being said I don't think that Champ has aged like Woodson did. He has aged more like Ed Reed. IMO, he has gone from great player to done. Denver has a need for a safety and a really small window to win. Why wouldn't they try to restructure and move him to safety if they thought that it would work?

I guess that I would rather see the young guys develop with the rest of the team. They are a team on the upswing and I would rather see everyone heading in that direction at the same time.

Champ has always depended a lot on his speed. That has faded and his performance with it. He is also very unreliable because he has become fragile due to age. How many games has played the last two years? I don't think Champ ever played safety.

He's missed 15 games in the last 5 years. He missed 11 this year after playing all 16 in 2012. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BailCh00.htm

And for a veteran guy like Champ, the learning curve on switching positions would be small IMO. FS is not as depended on pure speed. So he won't have to being running one on one with guys like Calvin Johnson. Less taxing on the body and his legs, which you lose the older you get.

Champ Bailey has been a favorite player of mine, but when these guys see the light at the end of the tunnel, they typically don't sign with last-place teams.

+1.

I've thought Arizona would make sense.

He's missed 15 games in the last 5 years. He missed 11 this year after playing all 16 in 2012. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BailCh00.htm

And for a veteran guy like Champ, the learning curve on switching positions would be small IMO. FS is not as depended on pure speed. So he won't have to being running one on one with guys like Calvin Johnson. Less taxing on the body and his legs, which you lose the older you get.

I agree safety would be a shallow learning curve.

But the coaching staff said they were positive on the other safeties on the bench, and secondary without Byrd still seems strong and rife with potential.

I'd like to see them focus on other needs in free agency.... Namely LG, RT, WR, TE, RG ROLB, LDE in that order. I suspect they can fix one to three of these immediately in the draft, the rest will require some FA help.

Woodson is a good comparison and I too agree that he was the best corner that I ever saw. With that being said I don't think that Champ has aged like Woodson did. He has aged more like Ed Reed. IMO, he has gone from great player to done. Denver has a need for a safety and a really small window to win. Why wouldn't they try to restructure and move him to safety if they thought that it would work?

I guess that I would rather see the young guys develop with the rest of the team. They are a team on the upswing and I would rather see everyone heading in that direction at the same time.

I tend to agree with your assessment of Bailey. He is not a physical guy. Woodson was.

However.......I think this team badly needs vocal leadership. It's easy to brush over the tank job this team did at the end of the season because in Buffalo it's business as usual....it happens every year.......but remember Kyle Williams calling out people for not being accountable at the end of the season? IMO, this team BADLY needs a vocal leader....preferably with some hardware to back up his talk. This team is an assembly of a whole lot of guys who have won NOTHING in the NFL. I think you can count the total playoff games participated in by this entire roster on one hand and still have full use of a bowling ball. Combine that with a HC who has proven nothing and you have a recipe for doubt the minute adversity sets in. And we saw that last year after the tough loss to the Chiefs. The Bills really should strongly consider bringing in a player who can provide some leadership.

I tend to agree with your assessment of Bailey. He is not a physical guy. Woodson was.

However.......I think this team badly needs vocal leadership. It's easy to brush over the tank job this team did at the end of the season because in Buffalo it's business as usual....it happens every year.......but remember Kyle Williams calling out people for not being accountable at the end of the season? IMO, this team BADLY needs a vocal leader....preferably with some hardware to back up his talk. This team is an assembly of a whole lot of guys who have won NOTHING in the NFL. I think you can count the total playoff games participated in by this entire roster on one hand and still have full use of a bowling ball. Combine that with a HC who has proven nothing and you have a recipe for doubt the minute adversity sets in. And we saw that last year after the tough loss to the Chiefs. The Bills really should strongly consider bringing in a player who can provide some leadership.

Are we actually in agreement??? :beer:

And Bailey isn't as physically as Woodson but do you really need that out of a FS? In fact, the league almost doesn't want the defense to be too physical. Bailey also isn't Deion. He will come up and put a shoulder on you. Remember him on Watson in the Denver-NE game a few years ago?

I do not disagree that they need some leadership. I guess that I was hoping that it would come from the run stuffing LB that they are seeking. Jackson would have made sense if he didn't go to Indy. Maybe Spikes or Beason can fill that role of how to be a pro? I could also see Jared Allen as an inexpensive free agent target (although I think that his tank is pretty close to E as well). I expect AW to take the leadership reigns in the secondary and run with them.