Big receiver times

The QB bears a LOT of the onus for the passing game--far more so than the OL.

A good QB takes the teeth out of the pass rush more often than an OL by setting protections, knowing how to move in the pocket to where the blocking is sound, throwing at the proper time, etc.

I'm not meaning to imply that you don't know this--in fact I assume you likely do.

I'm just asserting that giving the QB as many targets as possible in which he feels confident will do more for his development than trying to give him more time to throw to targets that don't get open.

Remember: the defense can ALWAYS send more pressure than the offense can block--the QB needs to be able to beat the pressure.

Know what I mean?

I know what you mean. Fitz made the O-line look good when running the spread and got the ball out quickly and was praised for his line calls pre-snap. I agree that a good QB makes the line better. I have confidence in EJ doing that which makes building this team much easier. I believe in discipline in doing that building by ensuring both tackles are special, the QB is franchise caliber, the pass rush is scary good, and at least one cornerback is shutdown. The Bills' front office says these positions are covered, at least the LT if not the RT. That gives us flexibility to go in pretty much any direction and be OK. WR is difficult to predict since there is so much reading the coverages and mental ability, not just size and speed. This is partly what makes this pre-draft process fun.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Evans will be picked in the top 10 if he continues to do well at the combine.

I think he goes at 9. :thumbsup:

The big question on Evans was his separation speed and he showed he has enough. Watkins is even less likely to slip to the Bills now, but I don't think they can go wrong with Evans.

Getting an impact pass catcher with the first pick then coming back on Day to build up the OL would be my vision of a perfect draft.

Mike Evans at 9. Game. Set. Match.

We found a stud of a LT in the 2nd round, there will be plenty of Ts to take later on. No RT will affect a game the way Mike Evans will.

When is Antonio Richardson projected to go? He looks like a stud RT to me...

We also need a TE. Really really badly. Get one of those too

+1. Evans has the potential to do for this Bills offense what Gronk does / did for the Pats.

Evans has impressed me today. How ever benjamin at 6'5" 240 4.55 40 is very intriguing.

Benjamin looked good...He reminds me a lot of Sidney Rice...In a good way...

But Evans looks special to me...Like sky-is-the-limit special... B-)

Having watched Evans play, I rarely saw him get separation without a push-off of some kind. The stop watch doesn't alter how I view his history of getting open. I don't see it translating to the NFL.

He's never had NFL Coaching or played in an NFL Offense...He has all the ability he needs to excel in the next level...He just needs to be coached up... B-)

You can talk about the 4.5 all you want...yeah it's a good time for a guy that size, but if you watch some tape there were a LOT of times the Manziel had to extend plays before Evans could get open.

Evans is going to the NFL and there are a lot of folks that are looking far to deep into what he did wrong in College instead of looking at what he did right in only two years of big-time College football...The NFL Draft is about projection...Evans won't be 21 until August 21st...He's no where even remotely close to being a finished product...

What is he right now at 20? He's almost 6-5 with 35 inch arms, almost 10" hands, and a 37" vertical-jump...He also runs in the 4.5 area...It's that elite athletic ability that allowed him to amass 2500 yds receiving combined as a redshirt Freshman and Sophomore despite the fact that he is a little rough and unpolished...Give him a year or two in the NFL when it's his job and he's getting elite Coaching then get back to me on his ability to get open...In the NFL it's FAR more about the ability to come down with the ball when you are partially covered anyway...Evans body fits that mold perfectly...This is the exact same garbage I heard spewed about Alshon Jeffrey when he came out...Too many people disallowing the possibility, if not the probability, that players with elite (or near elite) athletic ability and measurables will get better in the NFL in time...You can't teach the things Evans has athletically...You can certainly teach him how to polish off the rough spots in his game...And no matter what can be said about his College career he produced... B-)

Mike Evans at 9. Game. Set. Match.

We found a stud of a LT in the 2nd round, there will be plenty of Ts to take later on. No RT will affect a game the way Mike Evans will.

When is Antonio Richardson projected to go? He looks like a stud RT to me...

We also need a TE. Really really badly. Get one of those too

#

I was on the Mike Evans train until the end of the season and then I kind of let myself be talked out of him by some "experts". I'm back on board folks. I'm certain he will still be there at 9 and he is the guy we need. With the 9th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft I am taking Mike Evans, Wide Receiver, Texas A&M.

I would love to see Ebron in the 1st, Benjamin in the 2nd...and Seantrel Henderson in the 3rd, but I don't think he falls that far.

I don't remember a draft with so much talent that I REALLY wanted...I feel I'll be happy no matter what this year, unless they go O-line in round 1.

I would love to see Ebron in the 1st, Benjamin in the 2nd...and Seantrel Henderson in the 3rd, but I don't think he falls that far.

That's a Draft I can live with...Though Henderson is going to have to get his head on straight REALLY quick... B-)

The Mike Evans flotilla is under its own power now.

Watkins will have likely been picked already so my guy is off the board. As far as WR's go anyways.

But Evans has what Buddy Nix has talked about for years. Whether it's " a guy who can go up and get the ball ", or " the guy who's open even when he's not "

Evans is the perfect mold for that after the combine . I have been worried all along we would pick this guy and he was too much risk at nine.

I am leaning away from that since this weekends dog and pony show: )

Maybe this guy could be the different match up Bills need to field ? Balanced out with those two speed guys(Goodwin)and the other one Graham) kid. , the smooth one , Woods and the possession receiver Johnson .

OT @ #9

In Mike Myers voice , doing George Bush... Not Gonna Do It . Wouldn't be prudent .. at this Time .

Me ? I want one though . at nine . i know its wrong for a RT . but..these guys just look the long term part. Riddle solved. Plug a quality guard (drafted) and assure we have a swing tackle . Dont need to address the O line seriously for 3 years. Done . focus on something else .

I was also pessimistic about Evans, but a 4.5 time? WIth his size? That would really round out our WR corp.

4.5 won't run by ANY NFL CB without some moves/lateral quickness. Calvin Johnson is truly unique in his size, speed, quickness and agility. Do not confuse Evans with him.

Eric Decker ran essentially the same time at the combine (4.54) and he is good, but no mismatch in the NFL.

4.5 won't run by ANY NFL CB without some moves/lateral quickness. Calvin Johnson is truly unique in his size, speed, quickness and agility. Do not confuse Evans with him.

Eric Decker ran essentially the same time at the combine (4.54) and he is good, but no mismatch in the NFL.

1) Decker is about as good of a #2 wr In the NFL.

2) Evans weighs 14 more lbs., is 2" taller, & jumps 4" higher than Decker. So Evans is a more put together guy than Decker & faster & more athletic. He's 20.

3) again, why do folks ignore his production in the SEC? That conference produces more NFL defensive backs than any other conference.

4) if the Bills draft Evans, who do you take away? You live SJ one on one with your best corner? Well that means Woods or Evans gets a #2 or #3 corner. Our nickel cb is Robey who is 5'7". That's a mismatch.

5) Evans is like in his 3 year of football. He definitely has a lot to be coached up. Yet again, he dominated the SEC.

Agree with this 100% & there will be no excuses for EJ. We'll have an answer one way or another. And if EJ isn't the guy, the next qb will step into a great situation.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: two thumbs up! Im all for getting all the tools in front of EJ/Thad and seeing what we got! At the end of 2014 I want to be talking about how well we did in the playoffs not how much better Ej or Thad would or would not be if we had a better....name that spot...

1) Decker is about as good of a #2 wr In the NFL.

2) Evans weighs 14 more lbs., is 2" taller, & jumps 4" higher than Decker. So Evans is a more put together guy than Decker & faster & more athletic. He's 20.

3) again, why do folks ignore his production in the SEC? That conference produces more NFL defensive backs than any other conference.

4) if the Bills draft Evans, who do you take away? You live SJ one on one with your best corner? Well that means Woods or Evans gets a #2 or #3 corner. Our nickel cb is Robey who is 5'7". That's a mismatch.

5) Evans is like in his 3 year of football. He definitely has a lot to be coached up. Yet again, he dominated the SEC.

I am still not sold on an unfinished prospect at 9. Yes, he has SEC production, but much of it came on late throws after Manziel scrambled around and over-stressed the defense. Evans (as far as I know) wasn't often open early on the rhythm of the pass play.

I am not saying that Evans won't be good, but he is more of a projection than I care for at 9 this year.

Don't forget that James HArdy was 6'6" and ran a 4.49 40 and out-produced Evans in college (big 10).

Edited by OldTimer1960

I am still not sold on an unfinished prospect at 9. Yes, he has SEC production, but much of it came on late throws after Manziel scrambled around and over-stressed the defense. Evans (as far as I know) wasn't often open early on the rhythm of the pass play.

I am not saying that Evans won't be good, but he is more of a projection than I care for at 9 this year.

Don't forget that James HArdy was 6'6" and ran a 4.49 40 and out-produced Evans in college (big 10).

You make fair points & I get the concerns. Bills fans should be Hardy worried. But besides Florida, SEC Wrs have done really, really well in the NFL. The big 10 doesn't have close to the defensive talent the SEC has.

And IMO, Evans would be stepping into a great situation. He doesn't have to be the man right away. And who do you take away on our offense?

It could be argue that a td instead of fg that perhaps a big target like Evans could provide would have won us a few more games.

You make fair points & I get the concerns. Bills fans should be Hardy worried. But besides Florida, SEC Wrs have done really, really well in the NFL. The big 10 doesn't have close to the defensive talent the SEC has.

And IMO, Evans would be stepping into a great situation. He doesn't have to be the man right away. And who do you take away on our offense?

It could be argue that a td instead of fg that perhaps a big target like Evans could provide would have won us a few more games.

I wouldn't be very upset with Evans at 9, I just think that there will be surer bets available than him. All great fodder for discussion over the next 2.5 months until the draft.

I still would strongly consider Marqise Lee over Evans

I wouldn't be very upset with Evans at 9, I just think that there will be surer bets available than him. All great fodder for discussion over the next 2.5 months until the draft.

I still would strongly consider Marqise Lee over Evans

Lee is the more polished wr at this point but how is he any different than SJ or Woods? A wr under 6' isn't going to help with the red zone problems.