A reason why the Bills have been terrible on offense for years

Jerry Jabber

http://www.realfootb...les/bills/15178

"Over the years, the Bills have mainly had below average QB’s as their starters, one solid Wide Receiver (WR), followed by below-average WR’s to round out the group, a mediocre to below average Tight End (TE), good to very good Running Back’s (RBs), followed by one or two good offensive lineman, with the rest being below average. With the Bills drafting EJ Manuel last year and giving him time to develop, they need to give him as many weapons as possible to see if he can truly be the franchise QB."

With QB's like Alex Van Pelt, Todd Collins, Rob Johnson, Kelly Holcomb, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and Ryan Fitzpatrick, it's no wonder why the Bills have been a bad team for so long. I agree with the author that no matter who the Bills QB is, they need to give him multiple weapons on offense, and not the scrubs that they have been over the years (like Josh Reed, Bobby Shaw, Donald Jones, TJ Graham, etc...)

Edited by Jerry Jabber

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that about the Bills scout's being behind times, especially in regards to TE's. IMO, Chandler is a backup TE at best. While the Bills took a flyer out on Moeaki, I have about the same amount of faith that he will workout just as Merriman did (meaning he'll be injured and barely contribute).

I agree that about the Bills scout's being behind times, especially in regards to TE's. IMO, Chandler is a backup TE at best. While the Bills took a flyer out on Moeaki, I have about the same amount of faith that he will workout just as Merriman did (meaning he'll be injured and barely contribute).

moeakis injury history isnt near what some portray in my opinion.

If Moeaki can stay healthy, he has a shot at being a solid contributor (something the Bills have been lacking).

How can Moeaki contribute when hes directly out of the 70s or 80s? Our scouts prefer guys like Moeaki and Chandler to players like Graham, Gronk and V. Davis. If our scouts were with the times, we would have a top 2 TE, a top 5 QB, and a Megatron at WR, but they aren't. Until our scouts learn that its not 1952 we are screwed at the TE position.

Key words "he has a shot."

I agree that the Bills need TE’s like Gronkowski (minus the injuries) and Graham. Gailey (and the other buffoons before him) wanted TE’s that were good at blocking and opening holes in the run game, but not used that often in the passing game.

The Bills have been lacking a tall physical WR since Eric Moulds left that can outmuscle and outleap defenders.

I feel like our scouts are behind the times. There looking for players as if it's the 1970s or 80s. They look for throwback tight ends like Chandler not the tight ends that work in today's game like a Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski.

I don't think they look for throwback tight ends...there just are not that many guys like Gronkowski and Graham. Perhaps they will have the luxury of looking for the kind of tight ends that "work in today's game" when they find a QB that "works in today's game".

Funny how you guys are taking sarcastic shots at the writer for pointing out the obvious. Guess what? The Brass at OBD STILL Dont' get it!!!! So apparently it needs to be repeated until they pull their heads out of their asses and actually do something about it.

There's a difference between understanding a concept and executing. Conceptually, the importance of a "franchise" QB couldn't be any more obvious. Yet, finding one remains an exceedingly difficult exercise.

How can Moeaki contribute when hes directly out of the 70s or 80s? Our scouts prefer guys like Moeaki and Chandler to players like Graham, Gronk and V. Davis. If our scouts were with the times, we would have a top 2 TE, a top 5 QB, and a Megatron at WR, but they aren't. Until our scouts learn that its not 1952 we are screwed at the TE position.

lmao

Funny how you guys are taking sarcastic shots at the writer for pointing out the obvious. Guess what? The Brass at OBD STILL Dont' get it!!!! So apparently it needs to be repeated until they pull their heads out of their asses and actually do something about it.

Agreed. You got to draft smarter and look for Football intelligent players. Not guys who jump high and are athletically gifted and fit old school profiles. OBD definitely needs to be more Proactive in scouting players to today's standards. Football smarts makes all the difference in the world between a stud and dead weight.

If Moeaki can stay healthy, he has a shot at being a solid contributor (something the Bills have been lacking).

I will never understand why he didn't get any action after being signed. If he wasn't ready he should not have been on the active roster. Now the Bills enter the 2014 season not having a (firsthand) clue about what he can do during an actual game.

Look at the QB's drafted since Jim kelly, and he wasn't even an actual #1, and the Bills took a TE Tony Hunter before him. WR Lee Evans was drafted before Losman in 2004.

Kelly, Collins, Flutie, Johnson, Van pelt, Bledsoe, Holcomb, Losman, Edwards, Fitapatrick, and finally the #1 actual draft pick on a QB in EJ Manuel. EJ might even be the very first overall QB taken in the draft in the entire history of the franchise.

Although, Its not just the QB position that has been neglected for the past 14 years. This team has neglected the LT position for equally as long as QB, and has neglected the rest of the O line in favor of DB's, RB's, D line, WR, and anything but O line. In that 14 year span the bills have had 2 pro bowlers on that line Ruben Brown and Jason Peters, and not at the same time.

In 2012 the Bills fielded three very good O linemen in Glenn, Wood, levitre, and had the #7 team in the NFL in run blocking, the #10 team in pass blocking and allowed it to regress with a rookie QB under center for 2013 by not replacing the teams best pass blocker in LG Andy Levitre.

So last year they went from 7th in run blocking to 16th, 10 in pass blocking to 28th. because of one position on the line.The Bills screw themselves by not keeping their draft picks once they develop them.

Now they need a top LG, a top RT, #1 TE, #1 WR or the team will continue its losing ways and get its 2nd year QB killed. If they don't protect him better then 48 sacks & 108 hits. One step forward, two steps back.