QB turmoil possible in Buffalo

BeastMode54

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so I apoiogize if this has been mentioned, but I read that ESPN blogger Louis Riddick feels that there could be huge turmoil as far as Mauel goes and he may not be close to the future guy, causing concern for the draft. I don't agree, as I think it's too early to give up on a QB who only played half the season. Here is the excerpt from Rotoworld.com and link.

ESPN's Louis Riddick calls the Bills' quarterback situation "one I could see going off the rails in a bad way very quickly."

He believes there are "not many excuses left for Buffalo to not start seriously contending in their division."

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Feb 16 - 4:35 PM

Edited by Beerball

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ played "half as poorly" in about 9.5 out of 16 games compared to Geno having played most of them. I think both QBs have potential in the league but have to work hard to attain it, and they have to be in the right situations.

Regardless, EJ sits +3% on completions, 11 points better in QBR, and didn't throw more INTs than TDs as did Geno.

EJ played better in crunch time situations more than once, and his numbers are really ruined by the TB game - an admitted low point for him.

I expect a lot more with better health and a full offseason of NFL work.

But you know, they were practically the same to anyone who doesn't bother to actually look at the numbers.

EJ played "half as poorly" in about 9.5 out of 16 games compared to Geno having played most of them. I think both QBs have potential in the league but have to work hard to attain it, and they have to be in the right situations.

Regardless, EJ sits +3% on completions, 11 points better in QBR, and didn't throw more INTs than TDs as did Geno.

EJ played better in crunch time situations more than once, and his numbers are really ruined by the TB game - an admitted low point for him.

I expect a lot more with better health and a full offseason of NFL work.

But you know, they were practically the same to anyone who doesn't bother to actually look at the numbers.

I thought EJ threw 11 picks and 10 TD's or was it the other way around?

If the Bills are smart they will hedge their bet and either trade for a vet QB, draft another QB or both. Nothing against Manuel, but the QB position is that important. We saw first hand last year that we MUST have a high quality QB to compete for wins in this league.

I expect Kolb and his $3M+ salary to be released. That will leave us with Manuel/Lewis/Dixon/Tuel.

How about a trade for Roethlisberger or Cousins?? Both be available.

While you're at it, trade Byrd for high draft picks and avoid paying him $9M/yr, trade SJ for a R2 pick, release Pears and his high salary.

Pay the guys that deserve to be paid the big money. We can' afford to pay Byrd $9M/yr. Nobody can.

SJ has worn out his welcome and is not worth the big money that he is being paid (about $8M/yr).

I thought EJ threw 11 picks and 10 TD's or was it the other way around?

11 TDs, 9 picks.

If the Bills are smart they will hedge their bet and either trade for a vet QB, draft another QB or both. Nothing against Manuel, but the QB position is that important. We saw first hand last year that we MUST have a high quality QB to compete for wins in this league.

I expect Kolb and his $3M+ salary to be released. That will leave us with Manuel/Lewis/Dixon/Tuel.

While you're at it, trade Byrd for high draft picks and avoid paying him $9M/yr, trade SJ for a R2 pick, release Pears and his high salary.

Pay the guys that deserve to be paid the big money. We can' afford to pay Byrd $9M/yr. Nobody can.

SJ has worn out his welcome and is not worth the big money that he is being paid (about $8M/yr).

Hey, while you're at it, build a time machine and tell Steve Young to stop getting concussions and then trade for him. He'd look dynamite in this offense. With all the high picks that everyone is ponying up for Byrd I am sure we'll have the capital to pull this off.

Ugh. Smith was AWFUL, but still I wouldn't give up on him with the weapons he had.

Manuel was encouraging given that he had: TJ Graham in year 2, rookie Woods, rookie Goodwin and a good-not-great Stevie Johnson (sometimes). At TE, he had Campbell coming off a major knee injury - even at his best, he is an adequate starting TE.

The running game was compromised with Spiller's injury and poor LG play.

Still, there is, of course questions regarding EJ's long-term outcome, but that would be true of any rookie QB - especially in that situation.

The Bills have barely addressed the offense in the last 3 drafts (at least in premium rounds). Most of the draft has been pointed at improving the defense - and I think that has been done. They need to be more disciplined (and need a little help at LB), but there is a lot of talent on D.

On O, the solid veterans are: Wood, Glenn, Freddie Jackson, Stevie Johnson (if not hurt) and Spiller (if not hurt).

Time for an influx of talent on O, best players available on that side of the ball, unless a CAN"T MISS prospect is available on D in round 1.

If you aren't concerned about our QB situation, you're high on the Kool Aid. We are mostly relying on hope and do not have a solid reliable foundation.

You can be concerned without advocating a reactionary path. EJ has to produce in year 2 and to stay healthy as well. Even his biggest fans know that.

I think that this thread will spin out of control soon. EJ is a bit of an unknown so we should be skeptical but he is still young. My thoughts are that he goes through his progressions slowly, is inaccurate, has poor footwork, and does not make good presnap adjustments. In addition, it is terrifying to me that they scaled back the playbook in week 14 or whatever it was. I did not even mention the injuries.

With that being said the Bills are committed to him this year. If he develops, great and if not you have a team in place with a lot of talent elsewhere. You can explore options in the draft or may even be in a position to take a run at a veteran. Guys like Cutler, Manning and Alex Smith have all changed teams at different points and went to franchises that were more ready to win.

EJ is certainly the biggest question mark and the most important player. Let's hope that the added coaching helps him to develop into the franchise guy that the Bills have lacked. He is certainly the type of character player that you route for.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

With all due respect, I think you are fantasizing if you think that Stevie would fetch a 2nd round pick and Byrd (as a restricted FA) would get a #1 or 2. If SJ and Byrd aren't worth "their money", why do you think any other team would pay very much to trade for them?

Who is the magical "veteran" QB that would be "that good" to fill "that important of a position"? Do you really think that Roethlisberger could be had for a REASONABLE price? How can you utter Kirk Cousin's name in the same breath as Roethlisberger? Cousins for a 3rd - MAYBE, but not more.

I find it ironic that someone on "instant response" social media like Twitter expects an NFL QB to be instantly great. Like he had better be great the first part of his second year or the situation is "off the rails and in a bad way"…LOL

This is a big year for EJ no doubt. But he does get the WHOLE year! There could be turmoil or there could be a big time coronation of him being looked at as the franchise QB for the next decade depending on how Manuel plays this whole year. I can definitely see the Bills winning the weak AFC East if Manuel plays well. So it really can go either way.

I think that this thread will spin out of control soon. EJ is a bit of an unknown so we should be skeptical but he is still young. My thoughts are that he goes through his progressions slowly, is inaccurate, has poor footwork, and does not make good presnap adjustments. In addition, it is terrifying to me that they scaled back the playbook in week 14 or whatever it was. I did not even mention the injuries.

With that being said the Bills are committed to him this year. If he develops, great and if not you have a team in place with a lot of talent elsewhere. You can explore options in the draft or may even be in a position to take a run at a veteran. Guys like Cutler, Manning and Alex Smith have all changed teams at different points and went to franchises that were more ready to win.

EJ is certainly the biggest question mark and the most important player. Let's hope that the added coaching helps him to develop into the franchise guy that the Bills have lacked. He is certainly the type of character player that you route for.

I think that this is a very overly harsh view of Manuel. How many rookies QBs are masters at going through their progressions and pre-snap reads? How many rookie QBs have virtually an all rookie receiving corp, augmented with an average TE coming off knee surgery?

I will agree that if Manuel doesn't show improvement this year, it will be a big concern. However, the same is true of Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin. If TJ Graham isn't 100% better this year, there is a BIg hole at WR. Can the Bills count on SJ to be healthy and play well?

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else so I apoiogize if this has been mentioned, but I read that ESPN blogger Louis Riddick feels that there could be huge turmoil as far as Mauel goes and he may not be close to the future guy, causing concern for the draft. I don't agree, as I think it's too early to give up on a QB who only played half the season. Here is the excerpt from Rotoworld.com and link.

ESPN's Louis Riddick calls the Bills' quarterback situation "one I could see going off the rails in a bad way very quickly."

Riddick is an avid game-tape watcher and has quickly become one of our favorite football analysts. He believes there are "not many excuses left for Buffalo to not start seriously contending in their division." It's true that the Bills have pieces in place to be an AFC East contender, particularly on defense and in the run game. E.J. Manuel played nearly as poorly as a rookie as Geno Smith, but hasn't received half as much criticism because E.J. plays in a far smaller market. Manuel will have to improve in a major way as a sophomore to prevent GM Doug Whaley from going back to the drawing board at quarterback in 2015.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Feb 16 - 4:35 PM

So there's "not many excuses left for Buffalo to start contending in their division," and the QB position could cause the team to go off the rails because Manuel played better than ("nearly as badly as") Geno Smith on a small market team with most of the other pieces in place?

So let me ask this, then...are the Jets better or worse off than the Bills?

I think that this is a very overly harsh view of Manuel. How many rookies QBs are masters at going through their progressions and pre-snap reads? How many rookie QBs have virtually an all rookie receiving corp, augmented with an average TE coming off knee surgery?

I will agree that if Manuel doesn't show improvement this year, it will be a big concern. However, the same is true of Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin. If TJ Graham isn't 100% better this year, there is a BIg hole at WR. Can the Bills count on SJ to be healthy and play well?

Maybe so, but that's what I saw during the games and especially on the all 22's after the game. I want EJ to be the guy but I did not see it. I am fine with him getting another year to turn the corner but if he doesn't you need to get someone else. The young talent on this team is developing and that needs to coincide with the emergence of a QB if you want to win. You can't have one or the other.

Maybe so, but that's what I saw during the games and especially on the all 22's after the game. I want EJ to be the guy but I did not see it. I am fine with him getting another year to turn the corner but if he doesn't you need to get someone else. The young talent on this team is developing and that needs to coincide with the emergence of a QB if you want to win. You can't have one or the other.

On defense, I agree that the young talent is developing. I am not seeing that young talent around Manuel that is developing on offense. To be clear, I think that Robert Woods will develop into a good complementary receiver. I am not sure of Goodwin or Graham doing so. I think that SJ is exactly that - a good complementary receiver.

Look at what Kaepernick had in SF: Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin WITH a good running game and an OL comprised of multiple #1 picks. I see the potential in Kaepernick, too, but given what he had to work with, I didn't think that he was more impressive than Manuel at all.

On defense, I agree that the young talent is developing. I am not seeing that young talent around Manuel that is developing on offense. To be clear, I think that Robert Woods will develop into a good complementary receiver. I am not sure of Goodwin or Graham doing so. I think that SJ is exactly that - a good complementary receiver.

Look at what Kaepernick had in SF: Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin WITH a good running game and an OL comprised of multiple #1 picks. I see the potential in Kaepernick, too, but given what he had to work with, I didn't think that he was more impressive than Manuel at all.

I think Woods will be good, never great but always good. Goodwin is a big play guy that showed flashes of brilliance and I don't think that TJ Graham makes the team. They will continue to add players around EJ this offseason on the line and at least 1 pass catcher IMO. At the end of the day if EJ isn't better it doesn't really matter. He needs to develop.

On your last point we certainly agree.

I think everyone needs reminding that this team wanted Kolb to win the job and for Manuel to perhaps earn playing time over the course of the season. That didn't play out, and furthermore EJ had injuries of the sort that make it tougher to evaluate his progress.