EJ on HGTV Scoring the Deal

Jamie Nails

I missed it and it doesn't look like it is going to be replayed, at least for awhile. It also isn't available on the HGTV site. Where did he end up living - OP?

yeah. Right around the corner from the stadium. "The Villas". Just off Brompton, a cut-through from McKinley and Sheldon. If say less than a mile from the stadium.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's obtained full-time residence thanks to an outdated law that generously grants squatters' rights.

So, in all seriousness, what does that mean? He still owns the property, pays taxes...but doesn't live there?

I seem to recall, Ryan Miller put his downtown place up for sale during this past off-season as well...

Edited by Buftex

Will this air again?

I can't find where it will air again, and it isn't available on hgtv.com (at least not yet). I didn't know it was going to be on either... it looks like it is a new series and airs at 11pm and 2am on Tuesdays. The next 3-4 weeks have different eipisodes and they don't show any re-runs. I am assuming once the first season runs its course, they will re-play them in a marathon or something like they do with their other shows. Or hopefully they'll put it online.

I was kind of embarrassed watching that. that's really the best Buffalo has to offer for $2500-5000 a month? No wonder nobody wants to come here to play. I feel like he could have rented a mansion for that much. There's no way that tiny little patio home is worth more than 250-300k so why not buy it? that was either fake or he's getting taken advantage of

I was kind of embarrassed watching that. that's really the best Buffalo has to offer for $2500-5000 a month? No wonder nobody wants to come here to play. I feel like he could have rented a mansion for that much. There's no way that tiny little patio home is worth more than 250-300k so why not buy it? that was either fake or he's getting taken advantage of

I didn't see it but from what I understand he just wanted a decent enough place close to the stadium, he's a single 23 year old guy who doesn't need a mansion. Probably goes from home to work and back. Edited by YoloinOhio

It sounds like you've never been to NYC or LA. You get a one room studio for that price there.

If Manuel really wanted to go big, he could have gotten a mansion around Delaware Park.

For that cost around the stadium he could have bought a mansion right across the street from Mario. Or could have bought the house TO rented.

At 5k a month, he could have bought a million dollar house in Amherst, Williamsville, Clarance, etc...

It really is part of the problem with these athletes. EJ is an intelligent person (at least he seems like it) but he's getting bad information/advice from others, Agents, etc... No wonder why guys like TO, Henry, Young are broke. They listen to their idiot agents. It's no surprise, the agents make then millions, then they advise them to "waste" it all. Then they plant bugs in their ears that they need more money.

For 5k a month in western New York, EJ could live like a king.

For that cost around the stadium he could have bought a mansion right across the street from Mario. Or could have bought the house TO rented.

At 5k a month, he could have bought a million dollar house in Amherst, Williamsville, Clarance, etc...

It really is part of the problem with these athletes. EJ is an intelligent person (at least he seems like it) but he's getting bad information/advice from others, Agents, etc... No wonder why guys like TO, Henry, Young are broke. They listen to their idiot agents. It's no surprise, the agents make then millions, then they advise them to "waste" it all. Then they plant bugs in their ears that they need more money.

For 5k a month in western New York, EJ could live like a king.

I don't think he actually spent 5k/month. He was looking for something under that. I think he is doing the smart thing. Rookies are never advised to buy a home unless they have a family with kids in school and are going to live their year round. He is renting a nice place close to the stadium - he has no need for a mansion so why buy one? Mario is in a different hemisphere money-wise. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't think he actually spent 5k/month. He was looking for something under that. I think he is doing the smart thing. Rookies are never advised to buy a home unless they have a family with kids in school and are going to live their year round. He is renting a nice place close to the stadium - he has no need for a mansion so why buy one? Mario is in a different hemisphere money-wise.

In fact, TO going broke, if i recall had a fair amount to do with buying high dollar real estate all over the place (since he moved around so much) and then the market tanking (among a variety of other terrible choices). had he simply rented, perhaps he would have been able to make atleast a couple more of those astronomical child support payments.

Edited by NoSaint

In fact, TO going broke, if i recall had a fair amount to do with buying high dollar real estate all over the place (since he moved around so much) and then the market tanking (among a variety of other terrible choices)

Yes, there is no reason for a player on a rookie deal, a single guy in a new city, to buy a mansion there. Plus I am sure his rent is closer to 2k than it is to 5k.

You guys are crazy. Spend 3-5k a month renting a house for something that could be bought for half as much a month. One of EJs game checks could pay for a $500k house. Maybe 2-3 game checks. But instead, let's rent a house for an astronomical cost for something that could be bought for less. Logic 101. No wonder why most Americans are in debt up to their necks. Enjoy your debt gentlemen.

You guys are crazy. Spend 3-5k a month renting a house for something that could be bought for half as much a month. One of EJs game checks could pay for a $500k house. Maybe 2-3 game checks. But instead, let's rent a house for an astronomical cost for something that could be bought for less. Logic 101. No wonder why most Americans are in debt up to their necks. Enjoy your debt gentlemen.

His rent at the Villas is a little over $2K, which is right in line with a 30yr $400K mortgage at today's rates. EJ's game checks are $25K, as his 2013 salary is ~$400k. All his money was in his signing bonus ($4.8M) which he will be living off of for the rest of his life if he keeps wrecking his knees.

Now he doesn't have to deal with any of the small problems and repairs that come with new home ownership - he can focus his full attention on football. Also, why buy a house in a new city when you aren't even familiar with the area yet? Makes sense to rent for a year or so, at least until you see all of the city and suburbs.

His rent at the Villas is a little over $2K, which is right in line with a 30yr $400K mortgage at today's rates. EJ's game checks are $25K, as his 2013 salary is ~$400k. All his money was in his signing bonus ($4.8M) which he will be living off of for the rest of his life if he keeps wrecking his knees.

Now he doesn't have to deal with any of the small problems and repairs that come with new home ownership - he can focus his full attention on football. Also, why buy a house in a new city when you aren't even familiar with the area yet? Makes sense to rent for a year or so, at least until you see all of the city and suburbs.

well, he doesn't have to buy a million dollar house now does he. The fact is that he's renting and throwing away money and will not get anything out of it in the future. That's fine I guess if you are the type of person that throws away money for no reason.

What small repairs would he have to worry about with say a brand new 300-400k house with a warranty on?

Edited by mrags