Prospect of the week: Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon

Estro

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I will be the guy to remind everyone that the best defensive player in the history of this franchise supposedly enjoyed the booger sugar as well. That didn't stop him from being a football player.

Just sayin. A little coke isn't the certain death of a career. But it could be.

Bruce was suspended for it. I would not be surprised if MANY more of the SB era Bills used and have heard rumors about some of them from Fredonia and otherwise.

The good news is that he is compared to Erin Hernandez. The bad news is that he is compared to Erin Hernandez :)

Who is she?

Bruce was suspended for it. I would not be surprised if MANY more of the SB era Bills used and have heard rumors about some of them from Fredonia and otherwise.

Who is she?

Where he is going for the next 20 years it might as well be she.

Yep, saw that earlier. Maybe trade down earlier in the draft for an extra 7th?

Liked the way Alan Branch played, but at the time of his signing I was a bit steamed because I knew it'd cost the Bills a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick this year (Levitre leaving).

But he didn't quit the team. Plus, he was a Heisman type player as a defender. He also was messing with the green. not the best but the white is another level.

In what way did he not quit the team?

I don’t think anyone questions the talent that Colt has. The problem is that his off field issues negate his talent.

Using a draft pick on him would most likely be a waste. As he seems determined to self destruct. He has an incredibly long history of legal run ins, spiraling worse and worse. He is facing a felony cocaine charge.

The legal system and the judge bent over backwards to give him a break, allowing him to avoid a felony conviction for drug possession and use and fleeing arrest when he was first caught.

All he had to do was complete a drug addiction treatment program and they were willing to drop the charges. He refused the opportunity multiple times. The judge has lost patience with him, which is a very bad sign.

Unless Colt admits his problem and is willing to overcome it, he will be just another another chapter in the tragedy stories of talented athletes that have destroyed themselves. And he has shown no inclination to even try to save himself.

In fairness, the reason he kept turning down that treatment programs was that it would have meant he couldn't leave the state and he wanted to go train at one of those pre-draft training places, where he is now, that was out of state and he wanted to go to the combine.

I don't see them taking this guy except maybe as a UDFA, and I'd guess he gets drafted late by somebody willing to take a chance. He's got the ability.

I'm not sure there's enough structure yet in the locker room, enough strong leaders. You've got Freddy and Kyle but after that, who? The leaders we had weren't strong enough to get Dareus to toe the line in terms of lateness.

I don't see it, though I could be wrong, obviously.

Bucky Brooks interviewed a couple of scouts about the guy, wondering whether he was a guy who'd had one problem or whether he'd had consistent stuff coming up. Here are the quotes:

"NFC South Scout:

"He's a big-time player. ... Strong, athletic with good hands. ... He's a plyometric freak (running and jumping) with remarkable athletic ability. ... If he puts it all together, he could be a monster at the next level."

"Character assessment:

"'He's going to be a problem. He reportedly has some issues with alcohol, fights and other stuff at school. ... Bad dude. ... Nothing malicious, but the kind of stuff that makes you worry about how he will handle the pro lifestyle. ... He has a tendency to go off the rails when he leaves a structured environment.'"

"NFC North scout:

"The kid comes from a tough background and is a bit of a problem child. ... He really struggles when he gets away from a structured environment. In fact, the coaching staff constantly worried about his whereabouts and dealings whenever he was away from campus on extended breaks. Now, I would worry about bringing him into my building, but he is definitely a big-time talent with the potential to become a special player as a pro, if it comes together."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000269364/article/former-oregon-te-colt-lyerla-poses-dilemma-for-nfl-teams

Edited by Thurman#1

In what way did he not quit the team?

In fairness, the reason he kept turning down that treatment programs was that it would have meant he couldn't leave the state and he wanted to go train at one of those pre-draft training places, where he is now, that was out of state and he wanted to go to the combine.

I don't see them taking this guy except maybe as a UDFA, and I'd guess he gets drafted late by somebody willing to take a chance. He's got the ability.

I'm not sure there's enough structure yet in the locker room, enough strong leaders. You've got Freddy and Kyle but after that, who? The leaders we had weren't strong enough to get Dareus to toe the line in terms of lateness.

I don't see it, though I could be wrong, obviously.

Bucky Brooks interviewed a couple of scouts about the guy, wondering whether he was a guy who'd had one problem or whether he'd had consistent stuff coming up. Here are the quotes:

"NFC South Scout:

"He's a big-time player. ... Strong, athletic with good hands. ... He's a plyometric freak (running and jumping) with remarkable athletic ability. ... If he puts it all together, he could be a monster at the next level."

"Character assessment:

"'He's going to be a problem. He reportedly has some issues with alcohol, fights and other stuff at school. ... Bad dude. ... Nothing malicious, but the kind of stuff that makes you worry about how he will handle the pro lifestyle. ... He has a tendency to go off the rails when he leaves a structured environment.'"

"NFC North scout:

"The kid comes from a tough background and is a bit of a problem child. ... He really struggles when he gets away from a structured environment. In fact, the coaching staff constantly worried about his whereabouts and dealings whenever he was away from campus on extended breaks. Now, I would worry about bringing him into my building, but he is definitely a big-time talent with the potential to become a special player as a pro, if it comes together."

http://www.nfl.com/n...a-for-nfl-teams

:mellow:

Cocaine - no thanks

And he did quit on his team - no thanks

Somebody will take him early and will be massively disappointed - no thanks

If you watched the ducks this year, especially the first half of the season, colt did not impress, lots of drops

Cocaine - no thanks

And he did quit on his team - no thanks

Somebody will take him early and will be massively disappointed - no thanks

If you watched the ducks this year, especially the first half of the season, colt did not impress, lots of drops

what would you describe as early ?

Lets hope he cleans himself up for his own sake.

Maybe he could move in with Scott Chandler this summer and learn how to farm in the midwest away from the influences.

Chandler might be a very good role model and mentor some one like Colt .

People are out of their minds if they think they can get Colt in the 7th. He is too talented. I say he lasts no longer then the 3rd. And you know he will kill it at the combine and boost his stock

I think he'll go a little lower. Based on talent, Rogers should have been drafted much higher last year but didn't get drafted at all. Lyerla is a train wreck...he'll get knocked to the bottom half of the draft I think.

• 2 weeks later...