Michael Sam is out.

agardin

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have 8 pages on that?

How's being a distraction working for Tim Tebow? Not many qb's have a playoff victory.

Yet most throw the ball better and he fits no ones scheme... So there's that too. Plenty of distractions in every locker room whether coaches like it or not

I haven't seen everything in this thread, but I have to say I find the whole thing weird.

The story goes that this guy announced to his team that he is gay in August. What is that? Why wouldn't it be all of the time or none of the time? I doubt he is making it up because he would have say April or something if it was fake. August is training camp.

Yet most throw the ball better and he fits no ones scheme... So there's that too. Plenty of distractions in every locker room whether coaches like it or not

Yes, but they rarely invite distractions, they have enough to deal with already.

You don't think Tebow has enough talent to on be a practice squad somewhere in the league?

Da'Rick didn't work hard enough, and he wasn't kept around, not even on the practice squad.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

You don't think Tebow has enough talent to be a practice squad somewhere in the league?

tebow is not eligible for the practice squad any longer.

im not saying some coaches wont cross him off the list but i dont think it will be all. i think plenty will see it as no distraction at all.

Edited by NoSaint

I'd like to see the folks saying that this is attention seeking or somehow throwing it in our faces try and walk in the shoes of a gay person for a couple of days. You can still get the **** kicked out of you (or worse) in a lot of places in this country (and world) for acknowledging being gay. There are lots of good reasons to come out, insulting / spiting other people really isn't one of them.

I haven't seen everything in this thread, but I have to say I find the whole thing weird.

The story goes that this guy announced to his team that he is gay in August. What is that? Why wouldn't it be all of the time or none of the time? I doubt he is making it up because he would have say April or something if it was fake. August is training camp.

Right, but you're talking about non-conference games, which don't hurt his draft stock as much as in conference games.

tebow is not eligible for the practice squad any longer.

im not saying some coaches wont cross him off the list but i dont think it will be all. i think plenty will see it as no distraction at all.

I didn't say it would be all, but I think it will be more than you think. Front offices seem to be very risk averse, guys have dropped in the draft for many reasons and there is so much taken into account.

Somebody upthread talked about how the Titans in the 90's had a couple "rumored" to be gay but that was "back then". Guys that age are coaching now, so that attitude isn't totally gone.

Do we have 8 pages on that?

How's being a distraction working for Tim Tebow? Not many qb's have a playoff victory.

The question that you should be asking is why a man's sexual orientation is only a "distraction" when he's gay? Why do we have 8 pages on Sam's orientation? Why wasn't this glossed over just like A-Rodg's comments?

His agent is prob already getting calls from Nike or Starbucks. Not sure where you live, but many people will want to buy something with his name on it for being the first openly gay player. Nike already makes "gay" oriented appeal. Gm's will prob ask him how he would deal with morons who use slurs toward him. I doubt Whaley, Colbert, and GMs from other classy organizations will harass him. That's why I said I hope he ends up on a professionally run team (Buffalo, pit, GB, etc). I wish him nothing but the best. I don't see him falling. if the Bills miss an opportunity to get him at a good value/ where he should be and don't I'll be upset.

Starbucks is a billion dollar company that has never advertised. They don't have coupons and they don't do commercials. They sell on word of mouth. Starbucks doesn't need his help. Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

The question that you should be asking is why a man's sexual orientation is only a "distraction" when he's gay? Why do we have 8 pages on Sam's orientation? Why wasn't this glossed over just like A-Rodg's comments?

You mean the comments where he felt obligied to say he really liked women because there were rumors that he was gay? He felt the need to comment for the same reason we've got discussion here. You may not like where we are as a society, but it's where we are. There have certainly been changes over the course of time, but these changes do not come in the night swiftly and silently. You may hope that it would but it does not. At the time "don't ask, don't tell" was a breakthrough but now it's seen as close minded. One example of how things change.

You want to think I don't understand what's going on you are entitled to your opinon. I am merely pointing out that I don't believe most front offices will want to put up with the additional distractions. What's going to happen if he gets cut? Will it be because.... The talking points are there and therefore the distractions, right or wrong.

You mean the comments where he felt obligied to say he really liked women because there were rumors that he was gay? He felt the need to comment for the same reason we've got discussion here. You may not like where we are as a society, but it's where we are. There have certainly been changes over the course of time, but these changes do not come in the night swiftly and silently. You may hope that it would but it does not. At the time "don't ask, don't tell" was a breakthrough but now it's seen as close minded. One example of how things change.

You want to think I don't understand what's going on you are entitled to your opinon. I am merely pointing out that I don't believe most front offices will want to put up with the additional distractions. What's going to happen if he gets cut? Will it be because.... The talking points are there and therefore the distractions, right or wrong.

So we can agree that Sam did nothing more to make himself a distraction than A-Rodg.

Sam didn't make himself a distraction. Tebow didn't make himself a distraction. The idiots covering them make the distraction. Lets assign blame properly.

http://m.si.com/3861...m-announcement/

And here is why this is somewhat of a big deal. I think publicly everyone will be welcoming, because to not do so is outs you as a bigot. But the teams will be approaching this from a risk management perspective and it will be viewed as a risk for no other reason than that Sam is the first.

If teams can ignore him in the draft and stand behind the claim of evaluation on football merits, you can rest assured that some will. It's in fact the safest way for them to avoid the issue.

I find it hilarious there are and will be scouts and GMs basing their evaluations on football merit claiming that the SEC Defensive Player of the Year just isn't that good. :doh:

Edited by uncle flap