Draft: Troy Niklas, TE

simpleman

I am working on building my draft board. After ASJ I don't know much about later round TEs. Anyone have some good links or video of him, analysis, or who saw him play and can comment. From what I read he is green, but is an excellent blocker, has decent hands. Has good size, not fast, but good underneath. Any input would be appreciated.

Niklas grades out as the best blocking TE in the draft. He's a big, physical receiver who uses his body well, positioning himself for the ball. He gets out of his stance very well, and has a very good release off the line. His track 40 time has been around 4.8, but that's a deceptive number, as he gets up the seam extremely well. He has the ability to pluck the ball out of the air, and has gotten away from catching the ball with his body; though he's not yet a finished product as a receiver, and needs to do a lot of work of his route tree, as most of the patterns he ran in college were seams and outs. He could contribute immediately as the #2 TE in Buffalo, but will likely require a year or two before he blossoms, as his game is still quite raw; but he has more upside than any other TE in the draft. He projects as an early second round pick.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I have seen every game he played in(T.Niklas). He is a very well rounded tight end. He is a very very good run blocker and is a good target over the the middle. He uses his massive frame to box out defenders and has good hands. His speed is deceptive he looks slow but I think that's because he is so big. He would be an instant upgrade over Chandler. I am not just saying this cause I am a ND fan. I think if he went back to school he would have been a sure 1st rd pick next year

I am working on building my draft board. After ASJ I don't know much about later round TEs. Anyone have some good links or video of him, analysis, or who saw him play and can comment. From what I read he is green, but is an excellent blocker, has decent hands. Has good size, not fast, but good underneath. Any input would be appreciated.

Haven't seen him either but his team mates call him Hercules and he's athletic.

check out crockett gillmore too. didn't know much about him but he killed it all week in practice at the senior bowl and really stood out during the game.

never hear of him, me either. here you go . . .

Crockett Gillmore | Colorado State, TE : 2014 NFL Draft Scout Player ...

Top Center Prospects 2014 NFL Draft | NFL Draft Top Tight Ends |

Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com ...

Edited by CSBill

Some good, some bad, some ???

What I liked the most was how he adjusted his routes once the QB was flushed out of the pocket.

What I didn't like were his hands. Seems to bobble the ball frequently and also not secure it.

What I ??? is that he seems in most cases (like Chandler) to go down at first contact.

Niklas grades out as the best blocking TE in the draft. He's a big, physical receiver who uses his body well, positioning himself for the ball. He gets out of his stance very well, and has a very good release off the line. His track 40 time has been around 4.8, but that's a deceptive number, as he gets up the seam extremely well. He has the ability to pluck the ball out of the air, and has gotten away from catching the ball with his body; though he's not yet a finished product as a receiver, and needs to do a lot of work of his route tree, as most of the patterns he ran in college were seams and outs. He could contribute immediately as the #2 TE in Buffalo, but will likely require a year or two before he blossoms, as his game is still quite raw; but he has more upside than any other TE in the draft. He projects as an early second round pick.

Sounds like Heath Miller. Great blocker, good big target. Sign me up. I have heard good things about the guy from Iowa also.

Edited by RyanC883

Sounds like Heath Miller. Great blocker, good big target. Sign me up. I have heard good things about the guy from Iowa also.

C.J. Fiedorowicz. Same mold of player as Niklas and Gillmore--I happen to think he's the best receiver of the 3.

Any of them would be upgrades over ScoChan IMO

Thanks for all the info.

I still would prefer ASJ in the 2nd. But I see Niklas as an asset on the field the first year as an extra relief for our QBs. As a good blocker he could be on the field with CJ as not only a blocker, but as a pass threat in the middle. With Goodwin as the speed threat and Stevie/Woods as the Middle threat, Niklas and CJ all on the field could really give the offense some options on third downs. It seems as a true receiving threat he has a lot of upside, but will take a year or too to develop, he still has issues with his hands and catching. But in the mean time he could be a relief option and a great blocker for our RBs.

Looking at the youtube video I also saw Sklov 's video. I really want him in the third, or high 2nd if we somehow trade down and get another 2nd.

Beerball:

Like I said, he's a raw prospect. The hands issue is a product of him transitioning from a pure body catcher to a hands catcher, but he's doing vey well with it in his learning curve. He does struggle with transitioning the ball and putting it away after the catch; but that is by no means a fatal flaw, and is very coachable.

I wouldn't want him in rd 2. Hands seem a bit sketchy. I'd prefer him over CJ or Gilmore, but not at the price of a round earlier draft pick. I'd rather wait until rd3-4 and get cj or Gilmore. Or Colt Lyerla in round 6 or 7. Niklas seems like he'll be an OK starting TE. Not what I'm looking for in the 2nd rd

I wouldn't want him in rd 2. Hands seem a bit sketchy. I'd prefer him over CJ or Gilmore, but not at the price of a round earlier draft pick. I'd rather wait until rd3-4 and get cj or Gilmore. Or Colt Lyerla in round 6 or 7. Niklas seems like he'll be an OK starting TE. Not what I'm looking for in the 2nd rd

Agreed...the only TE I'd look for in round 2 would be ASJ, who I don't believe will be there.

C.J. Fiedorowicz. Same mold of player as Niklas and Gillmore--I happen to think he's the best receiver of the 3.

Any of them would be upgrades over ScoChan IMO

I agree.

He's already the best blocker IMO. Dominant in that regard in a very tough conference.

An excellent red zone threat. Set a team record with 6 receiving TDs.

He's not going to take the top off any NFL defense but I think he can find the seams and is as much a nightmare physical mismatch as Niklas.

Niklas has a second round grade. Unless CJ runs much better than expected at the combine he is a third or fourth round pick.

I agree.

He's already the best blocker IMO. Dominant in that regard in a very tough conference.

An excellent red zone threat. Set a team record with 6 receiving TDs.

He's not going to take the top off any NFL defense but I think he can find the seams and is as much a nightmare physical mismatch as Niklas.

Niklas has a second round grade. Unless CJ runs much better than expected at the combine he is a third or fourth round pick.

Agreed--probably a 3rd round grade on C.J.

I also like that picking him wouldn't in any way preclude the team from going after another athletic type of TE down the road, as he can easily fill the void as the blocking or receiving TE.

I find that's true of not just C.J., but also ASJ, Niklas, and Gillmore.

Sorry, but the pick at TE is Alex Bayer, out of Bowling Green... 6'4" 260lbs of pure attitude... Should be an absolute STEAL in the 6th round to UDFA. -Lotta bargains out there if your coaches and GM's know where to look.

True. The class is deep and talented with both newfangled and throwback TE prospects.

A number of interesting sleepers as well once you get past the frontrunners who garner all the media attention.

Personally I think the draft for WRs and TEs shapes up as a mid and maybe even later round exercise as far as the Bills are concerned (unless something unexpected happens like Watkins dropping to # 9). A chance for Whaley to show as a good picker.