Vikings announce PSL costs for their new stadium

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time seeing how the "average Joe" in this country can afford these outrageous costs just to go watch football. I wonder how many more years til NFL football becomes like NASCAR, where you see boatloads of empty seats for every race. We shall see.

I have a hard time seeing how the "average Joe" in this country can afford these outrageous costs just to go watch football. I wonder how many more years til NFL football becomes like NASCAR, where you see boatloads of empty seats for every race. We shall see.

I think many can afford a one time $1500 fee (chose the number as it says most are under 2k) but the principal of it will upset many. In many markets you can even do it on a multi year payment system.

Edited by NoSaint

I think many can afford a one time $1500 fee (chose the number as it says most are under 2k) but the principal of it will upset many. In many markets you can even do it on a multi year payment system.

I can understand if the stadium is totally private... BUT if there is any public money taken, I can't get beind this type of collective fee flowing to the private owner. Now, Green Bay I can see it. Really. Just my opinion.

truly, i think the owners stole the idea from fans (or atleast saw an active market that indicated it would be successful) - here in new orleans there is a waiting list for tickets, and people are paying a premium on the secondary market for the right to assume ownership of the seats long term instead of just buying a single season from someone else (ie essentially buying the right to skip the line).

It is going to be fun watching some of these organizations once there golden boy QBs retire & their not competive for a couple seasons scramble to fill the stadium. I am talking about New Orleans(they were a tough draw before Brees came to town) & NE in particular. Unless they get lucky & pull an Indy those teams are going to have a tough time filling their stadiums after a losing season or two.

Leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths though. Paying money for the privilege of giving them more money for your season ticket.

It is going to be fun watching some of these organizations once there golden boy QBs retire & their not competive for a couple seasons scramble to fill the stadium. I am talking about New Orleans(they were a tough draw before Brees came to town) & NE in particular. Unless they get lucky & pull an Indy those teams are going to have a tough time filling their stadiums after a losing season or two.

I went to some Bills-Pats games in late 80s at old Sullivan stadium. That organization was in terrible shape...stadium and team looked like the Bills of 84-85.

NE has sold out their stadium since 1994--including during seasons of 6-10, 8-8, 5-11.

Leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths though. Paying money for the privilege of giving them more money for your season ticket.

i cant vouch for all but i think some try to roll in extra perks like getting essentially a first refusal for other events in the stadium.

Another thing to keep in mind is you can resell the rights if you want meaning you get some of that money back (or if you bought on the secondary market at a low point and sell at a high point you might even make money).

dont get me wrong, im not arguing id be all in and signed up for whatever the team wants, but its an interesting dynamic.

NE has sold out their stadium since 1994--including during seasons of 6-10, 8-8, 5-11.

Yeah I know but it is a different era now. Seats are a ton more money(especially in NE) & the fans are so used to be competitive that I don't know if they will handle a couple losing seasons too well + add in the fact that Boston is more of a baseball town & it will be interesting to see. They may sell out the games per se, but I think it will be a situation like Miami has going on right now with 20K empty seats every game.

I don't, can't, and won't ever understand why attending a football game - even a baseball game in some quarters - has begun to resemble the expense of taking a vacation.

I mean, I under$tand why, but it's certainly absurdity taken to its logical peaks. There is so much world out there to see that I'm not sure that the excitement of attending a game measures up to its price point.

I don't, can't, and won't ever understand why attending a football game - even a baseball game in some quarters - has begun to resemble the expense of taking a vacation.

I mean, I under$tand why, but it's certainly absurdity taken to its logical peaks. There is so much world out there to see that I'm not sure that the excitement of attending a game measures up to its price point.

yea the opportunity cost weighs on me more than the actual price tag at this point. i can afford the entertainment budget but i go back and forth a bit on whether i should be getting more bang for my buck.

yea the opportunity cost weighs on me more than the actual price tag at this point. i can afford the entertainment budget but i go back and forth a bit on whether i should be getting more bang for my buck.

It crossed my threshold several years ago. But even with things like PSL's ticket sales league wide are still pretty strong.

I have to believe though that at some point the NFL will push it too far and will have to roll back prices, salaries etc. or face a collapse.

Until then though they are making crazy money.

It crossed my threshold several years ago. But even with things like PSL's ticket sales league wide are still pretty strong.

I have to believe though that at some point the NFL will push it too far and will have to roll back prices, salaries etc. or face a collapse.

Until then though they are making crazy money.

As I understand it, the real crazy money is in TV, though, which would seem to make these additional charges gravy, and a case of bleeding the hardcore fan dry.

Yeah I know but it is a different era now. Seats are a ton more money(especially in NE) & the fans are so used to be competitive that I don't know if they will handle a couple losing seasons too well + add in the fact that Boston is more of a baseball town & it will be interesting to see. They may sell out the games per se, but I think it will be a situation like Miami has going on right now with 20K empty seats every game.

They would sell out the games but 20k wouldn't show up?

Anyway, the Fenway sellout streak began in 2003 and ended early in 2013, after a single losing season---- the team came in last place in 2012.

As I understand it, the real crazy money is in TV, though, which would seem to make these additional charges gravy, and a case of bleeding the hardcore fan dry.

A lot of things factor in but yeah the fans take a financial hit for sure.

P. Manning as an example got paid 18 million for the past season. This about that for a minute. Ignoring preseason and playoff games, that's more than 1 million dollars per game. That is pure insanity and that economy has to have a correction at some point I would think. Even TV advertisers are going to have to balk at some point.

They would sell out the games but 20k wouldn't show up?

Anyway, the Fenway sellout streak began in 2003 and ended early in 2013, after a single losing season---- the team came in last place in 2012.

Yup. I get emails almost daily from the Red Sox to get me to buy tickets. Even in a year they won the World Series, they had to hustle tickets. It's not 2004 any more.

Then again the Red Sox expect you to mortgage your house for the privilege of seeing their team in their precious little stadium. $150 to sit on the Green Monster? Sorry, it's still an outdfield seat that most other MLB teams charge $20 for.

PTR

. . . as a one-time thing - I agree. Let the season ticket holders pay this and alleviate the tax burden on the masses - many of which hate football and oppose these stadiums.

The Star Tribune article gets more specific:http://www.startribune.com/local/244270481.html

"The average price of a seat license will be $2,500, but a majority will cost less than $2,000 at the new Vikings stadium, team officials said.

The team said 75 percent of seats will require seat licenses.

The seat licenses will be a one-time contribution for the right to purchase seats.

The priciest seat licenses, at the lower level 50-yard line, will go for $9,500. Vikings club seats will be $5,300. Seats without club access have a license price of less than $2,000."

Can someone educate me on PSL's? Are PSL's always a one-time thing? Or in some cases is it an annual thing + the cost of the tickets?

Yes, PSL's give you the right to pay for season tickets...so you pay $2500 so you can then buy season tickets every year. What a racket this is. It would be like you having to pay $1000 for the chance to go to a store and buy groceries which are then vastly overpriced but since its the only grocery store in town you don't have much of a choice...sounds like something the Mafia would come up with..paying to do business in their neighborhood for "protection"

In most cases you are able to sell/transfer your seat license to another person...the Redskins actually caught a lot of flak because they were suing people who stopped paying on their PSL's

Edited by matter2003