Draft: Mathews, Robinson, or Lewan

TPS

Not a RT but rather THE RT! I can't comment on Lewan, but if either of the other two slide to 9 we should grab him. Depth at OL is a must and we need athletes, not fat slow OLmen. These guys can start at RT, develop and then we have the luxary of choosing between them and Glenn. If neither of the top two guys is available then I'd pick WR and grab a OT in the second round. LB and LG are available in FA and in later rounds. Alonso will be even better next year. Resign Byrd or franchise him. EJ gets one more year to progress or if not, he gets replaced in the next draft which is when these young OL will begin to mature and peak.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of nay sayers to a OT at #1 speak about the yards we gained. Keep in mind we ran well against weak Ds and at home. On the road against aggressive tough Ds we got stuffed. Get Spiller some holes and he will explode. Jackson will do better if contact occurs after the line of scrimmage rather than in the backfield. He'll still get the bonus yards after contact just he'll be adding to positive rather than negative yardage.

No question in my mind, as I agree. It just depends on how exactly the Bills intend to upgrade those two positions. Hopefully the draft, because those players are younger, hungrier, and usually less expensive.

Every player entering into the NFL has some sort of an adjustment period, and depending on many factors like coaching, team around them for support, and schemes is generally what determines how fast they develop.

If you select a RT at #9 the kid should be a plug and play, and be a strong pro bowl candidate in a few years IMO.

I can't tell you how potent that offense would become with a top RT & LG at #1 & #2. That line would dominate teams like the Patriots.

Could ?

We still are waiting on Hackett dont forget !

" If you select a RT at #9 the kid should be a plug and play, and be a strong pro bowl candidate in a few years IMO. "

^ now you are talking

Edited by 3rdand12

Could ?

We still are waiting on Hackett dont forget !

" If you select a RT at #9 the kid should be a plug and play, and be a strong pro bowl candidate in a few years IMO. "

^ now you are talking

To Maronne's, and Hackett's credit they did try and run that old school 90's Bills no huddle- hurry up, 3 WR, one TE spread offense that worked so well back then. The one thing they left out was the ''counter trey" misdirection from the O line. Along with the TT cut back run style that tore teams apart all game long.

You would have to think that although the Bills were the #2 rushing team in the NFL last season, along with being the #1 team in rushing attempts. That they would realize that simply handing off quite a bit, and getting a bunch of yards running doesn't necessarily win games.

What wins games is being able to control the line of scrimmage and control the clock with the offense in both passing and running. The Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL in that regard as they were #28th in the league in sustaining drives. 214 drives, and 53 were 3 downs and out.

The Bills were also 29th in 3rd down efficiency, and most importantly in my view they were 30th in sustaining drives of more then 5 minutes, as they only had 10 all season.

Then you look at the stats for run blocking and pass blocking you really see how bad the Bills O line was last year. #16 in run blocking, #28 in pass blocking. This was the result of letting the leagues best pass blocker in LG Andy Levitre leave the team.

Hopefully those stats will jump out and slap Whaley, Marrone & Hackett in the face, and realize they need a better O line.

READ THIS!

Kiper: Top 3 OTs better than 2013 trio

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Kiper-Top-3-OTs-better-than-2013-trio/d207b2da-20d3-4e4d-9ffc-0f07e2ea0f22

To Maronne's, and Hackett's credit they did try and run that old school 90's Bills no huddle- hurry up, 3 WR, one TE spread offense that worked so well back then. The one thing they left out was the ''counter trey" misdirection from the O line. Along with the TT cut back run style that tore teams apart all game long.

You would have to think that although the Bills were the #2 rushing team in the NFL last season, along with being the #1 team in rushing attempts. That they would realize that simply handing off quite a bit, and getting a bunch of yards running doesn't necessarily win games.

What wins games is being able to control the line of scrimmage and control the clock with the offense in both passing and running. The Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL in that regard as they were #28th in the league in sustaining drives. 214 drives, and 53 were 3 downs and out.

The Bills were also 29th in 3rd down efficiency, and most importantly in my view they were 30th in sustaining drives of more then 5 minutes, as they only had 10 all season.

Then you look at the stats for run blocking and pass blocking you really see how bad the Bills O line was last year. #16 in run blocking, #28 in pass blocking. This was the result of letting the leagues best pass blocker in LG Andy Levitre leave the team.

Hopefully those stats will jump out and slap Whaley, Marrone & Hackett in the face, and realize they need a better O line.

READ THIS!

http://www.buffalobi...fc-0f07e2ea0f22

This!

READ THIS!

http://www.buffalobi...fc-0f07e2ea0f22

Very good post .

i think we saw somewhat hindered play calling to start the season . I put this on three things . Nate being a rookie of sorts , and getting a feel for live bullets in the NFL . Fair enough .

The QB injury situation .

And then the O line did not perform well as a group even though healthyish .

some of this can be fixed by coaching , some of it by time and better continuity. But that line just needs some player upgrades .

READ THIS!

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Kiper-Top-3-OTs-better-than-2013-trio/d207b2da-20d3-4e4d-9ffc-0f07e2ea0f22

this summarizes my reasoning for the initial post--I think the first 2 will be gone, and I think Lewan would be a justifiable pick at 9. While I'd prefer to see them trade back a bit, I don't see a high likelihood there will be a trade partner at 9. First, with such a deep draft this year, giving up picks in R2/3 would be stupid; second I don't see many scenarios for teams wanting to jump into 9--what player would need to be there for a team to jump, and will that player fall to 9?

I'd say we are very likely picking at 9. While I'd be ok with Ebron or Mosley/Mack, I'd prefer the OT. Is it may yet?

I think Minny could very well draft D Carr.

If 4 QBs come off the board before we pick there is an excellent chance that Matthews and/or Robinson is there at # 9 and if so OT should be the pick, and I would be delighted with either.

If in addition you can sign one of the Chiefs FA guards next month and land the Iowa TE in the 4th you will have the makings of an elite O-line.

If 4 QBs come off the board before we pick there is an excellent chance that Matthews and/or Robinson is there at # 9 and if so OT should be the pick, and I would be delighted with either.

If in addition you can sign one of the Chiefs FA guards next month and land the Iowa TE in the 4th you will have the makings of an elite O-line.

Don't tease me! That is what I've been hoping would do for the longest time, that is build an elite O line!

More then anything this team needs some top talent across that line, and some decent depth behind them. Last season they were paper thin and one injury and... well 6-10 is pretty bad on its own.

Don't tease me! That is what I've been hoping would do for the longest time, that is build an elite O line!

More then anything this team needs some top talent across that line, and some decent depth behind them. Last season they were paper thin and one injury and... well 6-10 is pretty bad on its own.

I'm pretty sure Doug Marrone also likes great O-line play so hopefully we will get there one way or another.

this summarizes my reasoning for the initial post--I think the first 2 will be gone, and I think Lewan would be a justifiable pick at 9. While I'd prefer to see them trade back a bit, I don't see a high likelihood there will be a trade partner at 9. First, with such a deep draft this year, giving up picks in R2/3 would be stupid; second I don't see many scenarios for teams wanting to jump into 9--what player would need to be there for a team to jump, and will that player fall to 9?

I'd say we are very likely picking at 9. While I'd be ok with Ebron or Mosley/Mack, I'd prefer the OT. Is it may yet?

I dont feel as strongly about Lewan as Robinson . But some have us taking Matthews at 9 so what do i know.

But you take Mack or Mosely and maybe ebron (impact and need) . Lewan is graded lower than M and M i think overall

I'm pretty sure Doug Marrone also likes great O-line play so hopefully we will get there one way or another.

He does like him some Big O line getting the work done.

But i must i agree , I hope exactly the same. One way or Another its gotta get done

I dont feel as strongly about Lewan as Robinson . But some have us taking Matthews at 9 so what do i know.

But you take Mack or Mosely and maybe ebron (impact and need) . Lewan is graded lower than M and M i think overall

He does like him some Big O line getting the work done.

But i must i agree , I hope exactly the same. One way or Another its gotta get done

Lewan did play against Jadeveon Clowney and he didn't allow a sack, and Clowney didn't make him look bad. A four year starter at Michigan, 6'8'' 315 and plays with a nasty demeanor. :devil: I think he could be a dominate RT in the NFL.

Lewan did play against Jadeveon Clowney and he didn't allow a sack, and Clowney didn't make him look bad. A four year starter at Michigan, 6'8'' 315 and plays with a nasty demeanor. :devil: I think he could be a dominate RT in the NFL.

Well I suppose i should leave this one to the experts and be happy the O line is addressed responsibly :thumbsup:

I have been beating the drum for Lewan. His has is detractors but the kid is what you need in a RT. He can run block, and has a nasty streak. The Bills need more rough, road grader types to smack the defense in the mouth. He will be there at 9. if the can trade back 4 or 5 spots, chances are he will still be there.

If I'm a Vikes fan and we draft Carr after drafting Ponder, I'm jumping through a hole in one of the 10,000 lakes. He is very robotic.

I have been beating the drum for Lewan. His has is detractors but the kid is what you need in a RT. He can run block, and has a nasty streak. The Bills need more rough, road grader types to smack the defense in the mouth. He will be there at 9. if the can trade back 4 or 5 spots, chances are he will still be there.

I realize this is his label, I'm not sold on this kid at all. I also question his run blocking. UM could not run at all this year.

• 2 months later...

Well, 3 months have passed and it's interesting how things change. Fwiw, Kiper has Lewan #5 on his big board, ahead of Mathews.

Bills never brought Lewan in, so doubtful they'd pick him even if there. On the other hand, maybe Mathews might be there...

We don't need OTs! Where is this coming from? We almost lead the league in rushing! We need a big play WR or LB. Get some depth after round 4. We need playmakers badly.

The thought that we led the League in rushing is skewed. We were in the top in total yards. We rushed the ball over 50 times more than the second team in rushing attempts. That is another FULL game of rushing the ball!

With that said, I would be fine taking Matthews. I don't want Lewan. But, do prefer Evans if he is there.