For those who live outside of WNY...

LabattBlue

Our local premium sports programming in Los Angeles is on Fox Sports Net West. FSN appears to be by far the largest overall network with affiliates in at least 17 areas of the U.S.

or the even more obvious channel some 25 years ago, a small channel in bristol connecticut created to cover UCONN sports....whatever happened to that channel, don't hear much about them these days.

quote=LabattBlue,Jan 20 2005, 05:43 PM]

With all the talk of Empire folding, I was just curious....how many cities have an Empire like regional sports channel with local programming similar to what Empire had in it's heyday?? This is outside the obvious one....MSG.

212896[/snapback]

I'm in Atlanta now, but when I was in Philly they had amazing local sports coverage. And even though their morning sports radio ('the Morning Guys') was total schtick, it was great to have available to you 24//7. I miss that city.......

...Comcast SportsNet in Philly. They do a thorough job of covering the Philly pro teams (a little homerish sometimes, but it goes with the territory). If a college team gets hot (like St. Joe's last year), they ride that wagon for all it's worth. They were literally in Smarty's stall when SmartyMania ruled last spring.

Their post-game stuff (esp. Iggles & Flyers) is watchable. Very astute commentary from Ray Didinger with the Iggles and from Keith Jones and Steve Coates with the Flypukes.

or the even more obvious channel some 25 years ago, a small channel in bristol connecticut created to cover UCONN sports....whatever happened to that channel, don't hear much about them these days.

212956[/snapback]

Umm... ESPN was not created to cover UConn. Even back when it was really about showing sports rather than opinions on pro sports and highlights of Kobe they had such things as bowling, darts, and get this, the national spelling bee (which I think they still have).

BTW, UConn bball didn't really start getting dominant until the late 80s/early 90s.

I'm in Atlanta now, but when I was in Philly they had amazing local sports coverage. And even though their morning sports radio ('the Morning Guys') was total schtick, it was great to have available to you 24//7. I miss that city.......

212976[/snapback]

We get Fox Sports South down here... and "Turner South", which carried the Thrashers games.

Oh well, at least I won't get home sick watching the commercials during the Empire Sports Report any more.

-Jeff

I can't even watch Hurricane games down here, even with the NHL package. They black them out and a VAST majority of the time they are not found on local TV either. They wonder why hockey has no following, especially in the south. You can't even watch your homwtown team unless you buy a ticket. Its a joke.

Try being a Bills fan in Albany ... According to the media here, if the USFL loses the lawsuit, Kelly may go to the Bills ...

214644[/snapback]

I may as well pick a nit - The USFL actually won that anti-trust lawsuit. The damages award was $1, trebled to $3. A reported asked if he had it on him. A day after the lawsuit, the league folded. Kelly was a bit dour, since he had just been traded to Donald Trump's NJ Generals and was going to have Herchel Walker in his backfield.

This is beginning to feel like an "I love the '80s" special.