"True Detective" anyone?

Buftex

I liked the ending, they left the door open by saying they didn't get them all.

And that was kind of the whole point- even if they got 100 people, they'd never "get them all" with all the darkness and things going in circles etc...

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you watch Modern Family? Insanely good, clever, comedic writing. And I HATE the sitcoms on TV today. But this one is fantastic.

It's terrific but it's past its prime for me. They are doing too much of the sappy voice-over ending recaps now, tying every episode up too neatly. But it is still probably the best network comedy out there. Everyone on that cast kills it.

• 4 months later...
It looks like we’ve finally been granted some true details about Season 2 of True Detective. News broke that the casting most likely involves Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch as the nouveau Rust Cohle and Marty Hart for the show’s sophomore run, with Elisabeth Moss as the female lead and Vince Vaughn as the season’s superficial villain — the real villain being the SYSTEM, maaaaaaaaan (if it’s anything like Season 1).

But forget the casting — what will be next season’s mystery? How does one top Carcosa? Well, according to The Wrap, Nic Pizzolatto will attempt it in a nonexistent California city with the murder of a “corrupt city manager” that extends to a “potentially groundbreaking transportation deal” about freeway gridlock.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/true-detective-season-2-plot-details-lets-get-a-head-start-on-the-rampant-speculation/

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

True Detective begins tonight. I don't think it can be as good as season one (how could it be), but I still think it should be good. I'm hoping my lowered expectations will have a positive effect. It'll be nice to see Vince Vaughn not have to play a Vince Vaughn character for the first time in a long time.

Starts tonight at 9pm ET.

True Detective begins tonight. I don't think it can be as good as season one (how could it be), but I still think it should be good. I'm hoping my lowered expectations will have a positive effect. It'll be nice to see Vince Vaughn not have to play a Vince Vaughn character for the first time in a long time.

Starts tonight at 9pm ET.

I didn't watch S1 but I could with HBOGo, do I have to watch S1 before diving into S2?

I didn't watch S1 but I could with HBOGo, do I have to watch S1 before diving into S2?

Nope. It's an anthology series. Completely different characters this season. You souks definitely watch season 1 when you get the chance though.

I watched the first one but no longer have HBO. I may buy it on iTunes if it gets a good review. So far I've heard E1 of season 2 wasn't good but that was just via Twitter. Anyone who saw it, what did you think?

I did think the 1st season started off a little slow too but if you hung in there it was pretty good.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I watched the first one but no longer have HBO. I may buy it on iTunes if it gets a good review. So far I've heard E1 of season 2 wasn't good but that was just via Twitter. Anyone who saw it, what did you think?

I did think the 1st season started off a little slow too but if you hung in there it was pretty good.

it was a standard issue introductory episode. with introducing the entire cast of characters and trying to set a little bit of background you can only accomplish so much within the framework of a detailed and sometimes subtle show like this.

plus there is almost no way that it was going to live up to the expectations that everyone put on it.

im a little skeptical, but it had the framework of potentially setting up a very good season. or maybe sucking.

a little primer on Vernon, CA -- the (potentially VERY interesting) setting for this season: https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Vernon,_California

Edited by NoSaint

Well... put me in the "concerned" camp with season two. A lot of really, really, clunky dialogue throughout last night's episode without McConaughey or Woody to pull it off. Colin Farrel is amazing and criminally underrated -- he'll be fine. Vaughn, is a concern. If he's not fast talking and shooting from the hip, he loses a lot of his magic. He doesn't have the gravitas (at least from what I've seen) to pull off the kind of quiet character he seems to be building in episode one.

I will say, I was bored out of my mind by the first few episodes of season 1 and then the show pulled me in with the 6 minute action steady cam sequence. So I'm not going to check out of this season, I'm more than willing to give it time to build. But man, that dialogue was !@#$ing ROUGH last episode. The change in directors for the series (Justin Lin of Fast and Furious fame directed last night) also worries me as I felt the aesthetic created by Cary Joji Fukunaga is really what brought the show to life more than Pizzolatto's scripts. I think in season two (though I'm not sure) it's a carousel of directors. That worries me quite a bit that the series will suffer from a unified vision.

Just my thoughts...

It is a carousel of directors. I think this guy did the first two.

I was getting frustrated not knowing what the eff was going on most of the time!

I'll agree with the last two posts without losing my optimism. There were times it was clunky and times I was confused. I think it will come together in an interesting story still. My main question mark is will he be able to close this season stronger as they've already shown they can do cool imagery and top notch soundtrack as the backdrop and give detailed depth to the weird settings/characters.... The multiple directors doesn't scare me much but he can't cop out on the finish again. It worked alright once but he needs to have a new technique to close for this season to succeed

I think they are trying too hard to create the magic they had with McConaughey. Woody was great because although he has his faults, he was the "normal" character that kept things grounded. It seems like every character is just overly dark and brooding for its own sake. The acting was pretty good, with the exception of Kitsch. He was awful.

I'm going to stick with the show, because like Greggy said, it took a couple episodes to really get into it last year. Besides that, what the hell else is there to watch Sunday nights during the summer.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I think they are trying too hard to create the magic they had with McConaughey.

we will see. its natural to try to compare. but maybe they simply have another plan for the season that doesnt need that MM and WH relationship. instead of assuming that they are trying to create 5 versions of MM for ratings/accolades, its possible the story actually naturally requires the character types they are using thus far...

honestly, besides them all having "issues" i dont see any of them having the MM philosophical depth yet. id be surprised if any of them have a "time is a flat circle" moment

I thought Vaccaro and his son's tormentor, Aspen, had great chemistry. I'll be interested to see how that plot line develops and whether Vaccaro makes good on his promise of sodomy with a decapitated corpse as witness. Compelling stuff.

we will see. its natural to try to compare. but maybe they simply have another plan for the season that doesnt need that MM and WH relationship. instead of assuming that they are trying to create 5 versions of MM for ratings/accolades, its possible the story actually naturally requires the character types they are using thus far...

honestly, besides them all having "issues" i dont see any of them having the MM philosophical depth yet. id be surprised if any of them have a "time is a flat circle" moment

Oh, I don't think they want MM's exact character type. (:lol: Thanks for the flat circle reference.) I meant more in terms of how jaded Rust Cohle was. It was cool, in a way, probably due to how eccentric and philosophical he was. Every character is super jaded it seems. You're right though, it could be essential to the plot and it could end up working.

I still haven't had the time to watch the season opener, but for some reason, I don't feel urgent about it. As No Saint pointed out, it may be one of those shows that takes some time to boil...I would almost prefer to have 3 episodes or so back-logged, in case the pace is frustrating, as it sounds it may be.

I was pretty transfixed by season one, immediately, and thought it was one of the better things I have seen on tv...ever...at least for the first 6 episodes. For some reason, though, I don't feel all that excited by season two...

On a side note, Ballers was absolutely unwatchable and the Brink was far from impressive (although I may give that on another episode or two, but Ballers, done already). Ballers is basically trying to replicate Entourage with a sports scene in stead of the Hollywood scene but without characters like Drama, Ari, and Turtle it just is not even coming close.

Edited by Mark80

Nope. It's an anthology series. Completely different characters this season. You souks definitely watch season 1 when you get the chance though.

I'm 2.5 episodes into S1 and see why this show got all the pub. McConaughey has been brilliant and Woody is doing well think MM is at a whole other level.

On a side note, Ballers was absolutely unwatchable and the Brink was far from impressive (although I may give that on another episode or two, but Ballers, done already). Ballers is basically trying to replicate Entourage with a sports scene in stead of the Hollywood scene but without characters like Drama, Ari, and Turtle it just is not even coming close.

Yeah I watched Ballers and it's Entourage light, if it wasn't for the TnA I probably won't go back to it.