"True Detective" anyone?

Buftex

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent show. The one take, 6 minute ending to ep. 4 was stunning.

Last night was another stellar episode. I agree w/ the sentiments regarding MM role. What a great character. The jump-cutting between years can be a disaster in the wrong hands, here it's done masterfully.

Just watched E4. Hard f****** core man, hard f****** core.

Hmmm if that's true this show is toast when mm and wh leave for me.

Yeah, that is my reservation. But, it has been so excellent. The creator, and screen play writer Nick Pizzolato (sp?) will serve in the same capacity (rare that one guy writes all the screen plays for a show), and HBO, IMO, has such a strong track record, I will be more than willing to give it a chance on a second season. Pizzolato is a different kind of tv guy... as I undersrtand it, this show is his first and only screenplay writing. He is known as a novelist. He brings a different sensibilty to story telling. Also, MM serves as the "executive producer" on the show...not sure what that really means, or if he would stay on in that capacity. Like I said though, this has been good enough for me to give it a second shot. What else do I have to do on Sunday nights between February and August? :lol:

Funny, in the AV Club article that plenzmid linked, they draw a comparision between "True Detective" and "The Killing". I was trying to describe the show to my sister, and told her, "it is everything that "The Killing" and "Dexter" wanted so badly to be, but the writers were just too lazy to create."

Favortie line of ep 5 "good to see you finally commit to something"- Rust to Marty.

Also, loved when Marty tells the two detectives that they haven't been interrogating Rust, so much as he has been interrogating them!

So why is it called the same show? Is this like twilight zone but each episode lasts a whole season?

Yes. As I understand it, it will be a new detective story each season. I know, "American Horror Story" (I don't watch it) follows the same sort of format, but uses the same core of actors each season, just playing different roles. From what I have heard from those who watch it, some seasons have been much better than others...there is that fear it could happen with this too, but I am willing to give Pizzolato/HBO the benefit of the doubt.

Yes. As I understand it, it will be a new detective story each season. I know, "American Horror Story" (I don't watch it) follows the same sort of format, but uses the same core of actors each season, just playing different roles. From what I have heard from those who watch it, some seasons have been much better than others...there is that fear it could happen with this too, but I am willing to give Pizzolato/HBO the benefit of the doubt.

Well, switching up the casts for TD (unlike AHS) allows HBO to keep cycling A-Listers into the mix, which is cool. I also like the ensemble of AHS, too. Mind you, HBO series pull from a pretty consistent pool of actors, too. The Wire, Treme, Deadwood, even True Detective, there's a lot of overlap in who they cast. Which I also think is cool. Kind of like a really awesome, consistently baller theater company.

As for the anthology format, I think it's great!! Mostly because it allows for finite story telling. And given the way viewers consume "TV" these days, I think it's an inevitable shift. Plus, how many great shows have over-stayed their welcome? How often do plots/characters just seem to meander through the last two or three seasons as the creators continue to milk what they can?

Well, switching up the casts for TD (unlike AHS) allows HBO to keep cycling A-Listers into the mix, which is cool. I also like the ensemble of AHS, too. Mind you, HBO series pull from a pretty consistent pool of actors, too. The Wire, Treme, Deadwood, even True Detective, there's a lot of overlap in who they cast. Which I also think is cool. Kind of like a really awesome, consistently baller theater company.

As for the anthology format, I think it's great!! Mostly because it allows for finite story telling. And given the way viewers consume "TV" these days, I think it's an inevitable shift. Plus, how many great shows have over-stayed their welcome? How often do plots/characters just seem to meander through the last two or three seasons as the creators continue to milk what they can?

Perhaps you are right. One of the things, IMO, that made "Breaking Bad" such a great piece of work was the meticulous writing...they knew, after 3 seasons that it would only go for 5. I really appreciate patient writing, and I find, normally, when a show goes off the rails, for me, it when the writing gets sloppy. I have noticed, however, people seem to get really impatient if the story has too many nuances, or takes too long to tell. I like that.. some of the best modern television shows are almost like great novels. This format will play out more like a series of short stories. I like Flannery O'Connor too!

Edited by Buftex

Don't care if you're worried about a bonanza/gun smoke run. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson click together and there is room for at lest 5-6 seasons on that core and cast additions/subtractions to keep it fresh. Would you have been happy if after the first season the Sopranos turned into a show about the bloods? It's gangsters after all.

given its not a multi year commitment, and the rave reviews its getting i wouldnt be surprised to see them continue to get strong casts.

I don't think working on tv has the same stigma it did to A-list actors and writers as it did one time. Some of the greatest modern films are actually being made for tv.

Perhaps you are right. One of the things, IMO, that made "Breaking Bad" such a great piece of work was the meticulous writing...they knew, after 3 seasons that it would only go for 5. I really appreciate patient writing, and I find, normally, when a show goes off the rails, for me, it when the writing gets sloppy. I have noticed, however, people seem to get really impatient if the story has too many nuances, or takes too long to tell. I like that.. some of the best modern television shows are almost like great novels. This format will play out more like a series of short stories. I like Flannery O'Connor too!

I'm more of a John Cheever guy. :thumbsup:

Don't care if you're worried about a bonanza/gun smoke run. Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson click together and there is room for at lest 5-6 seasons on that core and cast additions/subtractions to keep it fresh. Would you have been happy if after the first season the Sopranos turned into a show about the bloods? It's gangsters after all.

I started off behind the Sopranos 8 ball and haven't yet taken the plunge. :blush:

But, generally speaking, I much prefer to know that what I'm watching has a pre-determined beginning, middle, end, like watching an 8-12 hr long movie, or as Buftex rightly suggested: like watching a novel.

I prefer the patience, very much. More so, as already mentioned, I like to know that the show exists to tell ITS story, not to find reasons to keep itself alive, to eek out one last season. See: Michael Jordan, Wizards

See also: LOST

Agree. Matt and woody are way way too deeply set as the strong characters. Won't be able to buy Coale and hart when it's Shia lebouf and Will Smith.

Replace Gandolfini w Pesci/Liottas etc would have been weird for sopranos.

I'm more of a John Cheever guy. :thumbsup:

I started off behind the Sopranos 8 ball and haven't yet taken the plunge. :blush:

But, generally speaking, I much prefer to know that what I'm watching has a pre-determined beginning, middle, end, like watching an 8-12 hr long movie, or as Buftex rightly suggested: like watching a novel.

I prefer the patience, very much. More so, as already mentioned, I like to know that the show exists to tell ITS story, not to find reasons to keep itself alive, to eek out one last season. See: Michael Jordan, Wizards

See also: LOST

I know he's a "pop" novelist but I like some of his work and Steven King has mentioned that often he has no idea how some of his novels are going to end till he writes them. Hence the 10-15 years writing the dark tower. A creative mind can look at the story he has started and put in plots and turns he never conceived of in the "in the beginning" part of the novel.