"True Detective" anyone?

Buftex

Not so sure what's so convoluted about the plot. Vince Vaughn was a former dirty club owner, made cash, turned (mostly) legit businessman, got his cash taken by a dude who is now dead with the money gone and looks to be set on doing anything he can to staying in the position he worked so hard to get to (and probably did a lot of sketchy things to get there) with no desire to go back to the life he grew up in. The one cop is a former military guy who has some issues from some wartime event, McAdams was brought up in a crazy environment which clearly made her develop male trust issues, and Colin is a cop who killed the dude that raped and impregnated his ex-wife and is most likely the father of the kid he tries to call son who probably developed a lot of his bad habits coping with both the rape and his response to it. The industrial city is as dirty and corrupt as any industrial city most likely is with a mayor who is willing to play ball to keep the companies happy which keeps him in office (only need to buy off like 50 people to do so) and the state wants to prove it and is using the murder as an excuse to dig deep into it.

Personally, I was way more confused through 3 episodes of season 1 than I am at this point in season 2.

Add in the third cop with latent homosexual impulses, a mayor with a bad Al Pacino impersonation, his wacky family, a crow-head with a bad shot at point blank, a David Lynch dream sequence, other characters that pop in without any explanation and on and on.

Pizzolato is cramming enough story arcs that most shows would explore over several seasons, let alone in the first three episodes.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add in the third cop with latent homosexual impulses, a mayor with a bad Al Pacino impersonation, his wacky family, a crow-head with a bad shot at point blank, a David Lynch dream sequence, other characters that pop in without any explanation and on and on.

Pizzolato is cramming enough story arcs that most shows would explore over several seasons, let alone in the first three episodes.

Or the fact that we are now 30% done with the season and we have no real idea what direction the show is headed in. I'm enjoying it, but things are going to have to move pretty quickly soon for all of these story lines to converge and eventually wrap up.

This show is ridiculous this season.

I hear that, If they wouldn't penalize me for leaving HBO early I would cancel it. I totally regret getting it.

This show sux and isn't even close to last year, I guess I'm just hanging around to watch the train wreck. Definitely NOT getting it next year. ( what is the point of ,whatever his name is, the cop that rides the bike? his character is useless to a useless show)

I'm avoiding previous posts in this, and will only read one that directly quotes me...

I saw season one, loved it... haven't tried season two yet... how is it? (without spoilers)

SUX/thread

I don't know what these guys are talking about. I like the show, everyone I know personally that watches it likes it too. Is it as good as the first season, no, but it is still good and much better than most of the other crap on tv especially during the summer.

It's like they want answers for the entire season in the first 4 episodes. The bike cop? I'm sure he's going to come into play somehow, patience is a virtue.

But, judging from BBs take on QBs the last few years, I can see how we could disagree on a lot of things! Go back to watching CSI Davenport, I'm sure those are still exciting.

Edited by Mark80

I don't know what these guys are talking about. I like the show, everyone I know personally that watches it likes it too. Is it as good as the first season, no, but it is still good and much better than most of the other crap on tv especially during the summer.

It's like they want answers for the entire season in the first 4 episodes. The bike cop? I'm sure he's going to come into play somehow, patience is a virtue.

But, judging from BBs take on QBs the last few years, I can see how we could disagree on a lot of things! Go back to watching CSI Davenport, I'm sure those are still exciting.

There is nothing mysterious about the bike cop. That character is trite and cliched. He is nothing more than the archetypal troubled soul haunted by all the war time dick he caught.

War Time Dick would be a great name for a band.

Isn't that story line exactly like Brokeback Mountain?

And, yeah - it's better than almost all the crap that's on TV, but I don't watch hardly any TV. This is it right now.

At this point, I just want to know how the waitress at the bar got those scars on her face.

There is nothing mysterious about the bike cop. That character is trite and cliched. He is nothing more than the archetypal troubled soul haunted by all the war time dick he caught.

With hundreds, if not thousands of programs over the years, what type of characters are not trite and cliched to some degree?

At this point, I just want to know how the waitress at the bar got those scars on her face.

LOL...I said that to my wife during the last episode. Sadly, that is probably the hook that keeps me watching the rest of the season. My wife has given up on it after absolutely loving last season....too many super dark and depressing characters for her taste, even though last year the characters were also F'ed up, they were likeable.

I think you missed the sarcasm.

Yeah man, I definitely did. I was definitely thinking to myself WTF is this guy talking about? And then decided to keep it civil in my response.

Edited by Mark80