Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

Anyone see this posted about Tim Graham interviewing Byrd?

http://profootballta...ines-departure/

Safety Jairus Byrd, a pending free agent who played under the franchise tag in 2013, declined to answer several questions posed by Tim Graham of the Buffalo News.

Here’s the exchange:

Graham: “What was your gut reaction to hearing Pettine had gotten the Browns job?”

Byrd: “I’d really rather not answer that.”

Graham: “You’re entering your sixth season, and the Bills will have their fifth defensive coordinator. What are your thoughts on that?”

Byrd [laughing]: “Same as the last one. I won’t answer that one.”

Graham: “How will Pettine’s departure impact the likelihood you’ll return to the Bills?”

Byrd [laughing harder]: “You’re oh for three.”

It's obvious the TG is looking for a negative angle here.

CBF

Yes I it is really par for the course with TG. If Byrd is going anywhere, it won't be Cleveland to follow Pettine. There was another part of the interview where TG asked Byrd about Pettine and he said "he puts guys in the position to make plays." It was written that way to make it sound like Byrd felt he would be at a disadvantage without him. And it was picked up nationally by PFT. Byrd has played well under every DC we have had, even the worst ones. He is not dependent on Pettine for success. If he leaves, I don't think he would join a team like the Browns. He'll go to a contender. He wants to win. He may stay here if he feels he can win here. Or he may go to the Eagles, who need him and would play for his former college coach. Ultimately, he'll follow the cash. That's my take. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I it is really par for the course with TG. If Byrd is going anywhere, it won't be Cleveland to follow Pettine. There was another part of the interview where TG asked Byrd about Pettine and he said "he puts guys in the position to make plays." It was written that way to make it sound like Byrd felt he would be at a disadvantage without him. And it was picked up nationally by PFT. Byrd has played well under every DC we have had, even the worst ones. He is not dependent on Pettine for success. If he leaves, I don't think he would join a team like the Browns. He'll go to a contender. He wants to win. He may stay here if he feels he can win here. Or he may go to the Eagles, who need him and would play for his former college coach. Ultimately, he'll follow the cash. That's my take.

He will follow the cash, more so than potential for winning. Thats just how he rolls. As for TG, he is a turd.

True, but at that time, Pettine had 4 years of at least being a DC in title, and it was also thought that he wanted out from under Rex to prove himself. The O'Neil promotion is a different situation. O'Neil is 10+ years younger than Pettine and 10 less years experienced.

Im not against O'Neil, but I do agree that he would probably have the greatest chance of success on Pettine's staff.

Agreed. What I heard Pettine say is that envisioned a similar situation with O"Neil as he had with Ryan, with Pettine calling the plays the first year, and O"Neil then taking over. I doubt he is ready for the DC role on his own, although continuity would certainly be good.

a good example of a vet, successful, non-friend, hiring at coordinator. especially this late in the game.

He also had stated that he wanted to have a guy on staff who had been an HC before so he could tap into his experience. So that would make a ton of sense. MP doesn't have much knowledge, I wouldn't think, of developing a QB. Kubiak would.

Geez if the Kubiak thing happens and the Browns manage to trade up to get a QB they like (with what, 8 picks in the first 3 rounds that should be possible) they could have something in a couple years.

Agreed. Kubiak had a tough time in the playoffs and things fell apart for him this year (including health) but he was successful prior to that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000317447/article/gary-kubiak-drawing-browns-interest-for-oc-job

Agreed. Kubiak had a tough time in the playoffs and things fell apart for him this year (including health) but he was successful prior to that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000317447/article/gary-kubiak-drawing-browns-interest-for-oc-job

Meh, I wouldn't exactly call him the most successful HC, he was 61-64 and besides 11' and 12' seasons he's had a lot of bad teams in Houston.

Most of his success comes from being an OC in Denver, under Shannahan. But one could argue that success comes form having John Elway as QB.

Meh, I wouldn't exactly call him the most successful HC, he was 61-64 and besides 11' and 12' seasons he's had a lot of bad teams in Houston.

Most of his success comes from being an OC in Denver, under Shannahan. But one could argue that success comes form having John Elway as QB.

Well, that would be his role... so likely a good fit. However, he is still getting paid by Houston so would be working for free. Not the easiest gig in Cleveland.

Poor Pettine is getting blasted locally for the presser yesterday. He had no clue how to answer the question about the offense and was all about Brian Hoyer. The two things no one wants to hear. They also confirmed he has no say in personnel, especially on the offensive side. He is going to need a ton of help. No offense to him, this is his big chance. But he came off as very uninformed. They asked him one question where he said "well, I was a head coach in HS..."

Pettine says he would have withdrawn if it had dragged out for much longer. I do not know if this already has been posted. I heard it yesterday and PFT has now reported on the WGR interview.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/24/pettine-would-have-withdrawn-if-browns-search-had-gone-longer/

For some reason, I am having a hard time using the link feature. I also have problem posting if I type too fast. Do any of you guys have these problems?

Pettine says he would have withdrawn if it had dragged out for much longer. I do not know if this already has been posted. I heard it yesterday and PFT has now reported on the WGR interview.

http://profootballta...ad-gone-longer/

For some reason, I am having a hard time using the link feature. I also have problem posting if I type too fast. Do any of you guys have these problems?

I posted that article last night... yeah, really good article. Probably why the Browns ended up not waiting on Quinn, because if Pettine dropped out and Quinn didn't take it, they are nowhere.

I get the distinct feeling that you might be nitpicking a bit with the pettine stuff. Given pettines résumé, the browns reputation, and the timing- Kubiak likely qualifies as a fantastic signing if they get him.

I get the distinct feeling that you might be nitpicking a bit with the pettine stuff. Given pettines résumé, the browns reputation, and the timing- Kubiak likely qualifies as a fantastic signing if they get him.

To me, it sounded like the perfect hire for this situation.

Definitely not. I am completely happy for Pettine and think he could make a good HC. It's a good move for Pettine because he needs experience on the offensive side of the ball and Kubiak could fill that role. Just point out that most of his success came as an OC and not a HC.

Funny thing about perception. The Pettine hire is seen here as a bummer for Bills fans, in Cleveland the Browns fans are shouting "NO!" and on ESPN Sports Nation Poll it was seen as a bad hire (39% pro 61% con). Time will tell who is correct.

Funny thing about perception. The Pettine hire is seen here as a bummer for Bills fans, in Cleveland the Browns fans are shouting "NO!" and on ESPN Sports Nation Poll it was seen as a bad hire (39% pro 61% con). Time will tell who is correct.

It is really funny, the difference in perception.

Good. He is a sellout. yes, a sellout. he left a team on the rise, tons of promise, for more power and money. he already had both, just wanted more. he can take that bum Byrd with him, and anyone else who doesn't want to be a part of this town and team!!!!

Good. He is a sellout. yes, a sellout. he left a team on the rise, tons of promise, for more power and money. he already had both, just wanted more. he can take that bum Byrd with him, and anyone else who doesn't want to be a part of this town and team!!!!

practical.