Per Whaley: Nix still plays a role in player personnel decisions

Most of the criticism of Buddy is for his job as the GM, not as the head scout. He's back to his natural role, and that's a good thing.

Well put. And I agree

i like everything about this except that we don't get Nix pressers anymore, i loved those.

absolutely was fun

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T.J. Graham over Russell Wilson, that is Buddy's legacy. He ignored the QB position the entire time he was here although it was clearly our biggest need. His failure to be aggressive in addressing the QB position resulted on him reaching on Manuel who right now looks closer to a bust than a Star or even good QB.

The guy was GM for 3 years and after that third season his only QB's were Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler freaking Thigpen. Let's ignore the fact that he took Aaron Williams over Colin Kaepernick when we needed a QB badly in 2011 because we did need help in a lot of areas and Williams wasn't a bad pick.

In the third round of 2011 with again our only QB's Fitzy and Thigpen, there were Wilson, Foles and Cousins all sitting on the board. One of these guys was the logical pick for the Bills. Just like Ngata was instead of Whitner, or Orakpo instead of Maybin. We had a desperate need at QB it was a great time to pick a good one in a great QB draft. Hell before the pick when the Bills had just traded up, Chris Berman said something along the lines of "It's gotta be Wilson, right?

And only if we had a good GM at this moment in time. A GM who realized that without a QB, you are not winning squat in the NFL, and if Fitzy and Thigpen are all you got, you might want to use a third rounder at this point to get one. And what did Nix do? Like every other Bills GM over the last fourteen !@#$ing years of misery and despair, he got cute and traded up not for a talented QB who might end the longest current playoff draught in the NFL, but a niche WR, who is more of a track athlete than a football player. T.J Grahm, who makes more disastrous plays than he does good ones and who never, ever can catch a pass with any sort of contact and struggles with the easier ones as well.

Buddy had some good picks but had some seriously blunders as well. Either way I can't forgive him for taking Graham when we could of and should of had Wilson. Wilson was the consensus pick at that time and Buddy had a perfect opportunity to end this misery by simply taking a player at a position of great need, when the draft was deep at that position, instead he got cute with it. Now instead of having Wilson in Bills gear competing for Super Bowls, or even Foles playing meaningful games in December, we are staring 15 right in the face, hoping, praying that the light is gonna go on with Manuel because if it doesn't we might be staring 20 in the face in a few years. Buddy can suck my balls.

I read QB blah, blah, blah, everyone knows it is ALL the QB, da da da QB, It is ONLY QB, he ignored QB...

Nix' plan was to build a very good defense before spending much on the offense (kind of like both Seattle and SF did). It can reasonably be argued that he should have tried to build the offense first - main piece of which is QB, but that was NOT his plan. He felt that building a good defense would be the quickest road to competitiveness and a possible playoff spot.

To characterize that he was so blind that he didn't see that Ryan Fitzpatrick was not a long-term answer at QB is off base, in my opinion. The "big money" contract that they signed Fitz to was well less than 1/2 of what top-level QBs make and barely moderate for even average starting QBs. From my vantage point, they always viewed Fitz as a care-taker until they had the D in place and started investing in the offense.

Regarding Russell Wilson and Kaepernick, they went in the 2nd and 3rd rounds because no NFL team in need of a QB viewed them as a sure enough prospect to pick in round 1. Rest assured that there was nearly as much luck in those selections as there was spectacular scouting, because if either team knew that either was destined to be great, they'd have been picked in round 1. BTW, while I think both are good QBs, they both benefit from very very good defenses and running games. Kaepernick also has THREE very good receiving options in Crabtree, Vernon Davis and Boldin. The Bills WISH they had one receiving option as good as any of them.

Most of the criticism of Buddy is for his job as the GM, not as the head scout. He's back to his natural role, and that's a good thing.

This, and he didn't do too shabby a job stocking the chargers with talent when he was with them. Whaley would be wise to pool all the resources at his disposal putting together their draft board - nothing wrong with that.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

People say Jauron left the team in shambles which lead to the 4-12 in 2010. But isn't that what took place in 2013? The Nix rebuild from 2010-12 led to a team that was 6-10 this past season. The Bills are a lot closer now to being a top pick caliber team than one on the verge of making the playoffs.

I read QB blah, blah, blah, everyone knows it is ALL the QB, da da da QB, It is ONLY QB, he ignored QB...

Nix' plan was to build a very good defense before spending much on the offense (kind of like both Seattle and SF did). It can reasonably be argued that he should have tried to build the offense first - main piece of which is QB, but that was NOT his plan. He felt that building a good defense would be the quickest road to competitiveness and a possible playoff spot.

I agree. (Though his rebuild of the Bills defense ended up with the historically stupendously horrific Wannstedt defense. Ugh.) His plan was to pour resources into the defense and see what Chan Gailey could do with the offensive personnel that Dick Jauron hadn't been able to use effectively.

Still, one could easily argue that his plan should have been more malleable and dynamic. They really didn't have all the time in the world to get it right. Gailey was fired and Nix moved out of the GM office after 3 years in which they failed to be even as good as Jauron (who happened to coach more games in Buffalo than anyone since Marv Levy).

Look over the drafts from 2010 -2013

2010 Nix's first draft, nine players drafted, and only the #9 overall turned into a part time starter in Spiller. Not an every down back

Carrinton has had 9 game out of a possible 64 starts. ONE STARTER!

2011 with Nine players drafted, and the #3 overall Dareus the only actual full time starter. CB Williams converted into a Safety 30 of 48 possible starts TWO STARTERS

2012 Nine players drafted, and only Gilmore, Glenn, Graham starting, THREE STARTERS, and only one of the 3 is really good.

27 players drafted, 6 starters. Oh yeah, Buddy Nix is outstanding :sick: Basically anyone drafted after round three was a waste of time. How many pro bowlers did he draft?

The best place for Nix is the ole fishing hole...retired!

EDIT: I still feel Nix is to blame for Colin Brown at LG debacle. Probably telling Whaley that the guy could do the job. Here is hoping Whaley does his thinking for himself.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Look over the drafts from 2010 -2013

2010 Nix's first draft, nine players drafted, and only the #9 overall turned into a part time starter in Spiller. Not an every down back

Carrinton has had 9 game out of a possible 64 starts. ONE STARTER!

2011 with Nine players drafted, and the #3 overall Dareus the only actual full time starter. CB Williams converted into a Safety 30 of 48 possible starts TWO STARTERS

2012 Nine players drafted, and only Gilmore, Glenn, Graham starting, THREE STARTERS, and only one of the 3 is really good.

27 players drafted, 6 starters. Oh yeah, Buddy Nix is outstanding :sick: Basically anyone drafted after round three was a waste of time. How many pro bowlers did he draft?

The best place for Nix is the ole fishing hole...retired!

EDIT: I still feel Nix is to blame for Colin Brown at LG debacle. Probably telling Whaley that the guy could do the job. Here is hoping Whaley does his thinking for himself.

If that's your criteria, we are in trouble with Whaley as well. EJ is barely a starter and only Kiko and Woods start.

You name a GM who drafted 3 starters right out of the gate for 3 years straight. I'll wait.

Edited by FireChan

I don't know what the hell you people are talking about. Nix was horrible. Not Marv Levy horrible but almost. Spiller has no vision. Troupe, Graham...oh my god. Three years to get a QB.

I hope Whaley is listening and just does the opposite of what Nix thinks. Sheppard horrible. A Williams one of the worst CB's in the league. Jury still out on Gilmore and Glenn. I mean this team is so bad that even mediocre talent in the draft would be an upgrade. You actually have to try really hard to draft as poorly as Nix did.

I don't know what the hell you people are talking about. Nix was horrible. Not Marv Levy horrible but almost. Spiller has no vision. Troupe, Graham...oh my god. Three years to get a QB.

I hope Whaley is listening and just does the opposite of what Nix thinks. Sheppard horrible. A Williams one of the worst CB's in the league. Jury still out on Gilmore and Glenn. I mean this team is so bad that even mediocre talent in the draft would be an upgrade. You actually have to try really hard to draft as poorly as Nix did.

Jury still out on Glenn? Not even close, he's a top 5 LT. I understand not cutting Buddy slack because we sucked, but Glenn was a fantastic pick up in the second.

This thread is amazing; thank you for the laughs!

Buddy Nix is a great talent evaluator? Where's all the talent then?

The Bills have a handful of good players. Other than that, it's below average. Ever since the "genius" showed up and subsequently "retired" to take his consultant role, this team has hovered between 4 and 6 wins a season. Why?

The AFC is freaking pathetic. 8-8 gave you a great shot at the postseason this year. And yet, the Bills could not muster up even an 8-8 record in this conference.

You know what a talented roster looks like? Seattle. Denver. Tons of talent all over the place.

I know, I know. If you aren't in awe of Buddy Nix and his Hall of Fame career you're just a "hater." After all, you can't argue with success!

Unfortunately, 6-10 every year (at best) and total irrelevance in the NFL is not success.

I'll never understand the love Bills fans have for Buddy Nix. What is it based on?

You liked his accent and when he was GM the Bills somehow managed to win ONE game against New England* (a division "rival") in 3 years?

I really think that's it. Going 1-5 against New England won this guy hero status. And we wonder why this team is so completely irrelevant in this league.

Edited by TheFunPolice

This thread is amazing; thank you for the laughs!

Buddy Nix is a great talent evaluator? Where's all the talent then?

The Bills have a handful of good players. Other than that, it's below average. Ever since the "genius" showed up and subsequently "retired" to take his consultant role, this team has hovered between 4 and 6 wins a season. Why?

The AFC is freaking pathetic. 8-8 gave you a great shot at the postseason this year. And yet, the Bills could not muster up even an 8-8 record in this conference.

You know what a talented roster looks like? Seattle. Denver. Tons of talent all over the place.

I know, I know. If you aren't in awe of Buddy Nix and his Hall of Fame career you're just a "hater." After all, you can't argue with success!

Unfortunately, 6-10 every year (at best) and total irrelevance in the NFL is not success.

I'll never understand the love Bills fans have for Buddy Nix. What is it based on?

You liked his accent and when he was GM the Bills somehow managed to win ONE game against New England* (a division "rival") in 3 years?

I really think that's it. Going 1-5 against New England won this guy hero status. And we wonder why this team is so completely irrelevant in this league.

Name five players from 2008 not named Jackson and Kyle Wiiams that you'd want on our roster today, taking over for a starter.

Edited by FireChan

He’s listed as a Special Assistant for the Bills, and was to help the organization in a variety of football-related roles. One of those roles includes scouting the talent at the Senior Bowl in Mobile this week.

In an appearance on the John Murphy Show, Bills GM Doug Whaley said he likes being able to lean on his predecessor as a sounding board and talent evaluator.

“He’s a great resource for me and I would be remiss if I didn’t use him,” said Whaley. “Any major decision or free agent we think about bringing in and ask him what he thinks. After this BLESTO meeting we’ll give him a list of the top rated guys and have him look at those guys. We’ll give him some of the free agents that we’ve pegged as interesting. So he’s a resource and with that wealth of knowledge I’d be remiss if I didn’t pick his brain and use him to our fullest advantage.”

What do people think about this?

http://blogs.buffalo...role-for-bills/

:thumbdown:

Name five players from 2008 not named Jackson and Kyle Wiiams that you'd want on our roster today, taking over for a starter.

Buddy Nix took over in 2010, so it would be name a bunch in 2009.

Still, 2008. Poz, Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, Terrence McGee, and Jabari Greer who now has a SB ring with the Saints.

Poz, move Kiko outside. Peters, move Glenn to LG. Lynch as the main power back. Yea, both Greer and McGee both start over McKelvin & Gilmore

However, it really is irrelevant considering Buddy Nix himself stated "you're going to think i'm crazy, but this team is not that far away" after he was hired.

He must have deeply believed that because when free agency open he stated he was going to get some sleep, and slept right thru that dreadful 4-12 season. Oh yea, he did sign FA RT Cornell Green for 2 mil per, and guess what, he was almost as bad as this years Colin Brown. Both were benched and cut after week 6. That 0-8 start with Fitz literally leading the team in rushing YPC while running for his proverbial life :lol:

The old buzzard actually thought the team was brimming with talent. Particularly on the O line because he didn't bother to replace the all pro LT that was traded away, or the lack of a decent pass rusher. Instead the old fool drafted a RB in an area of non need, and traded away the starting RB to this years SB team. :doh:

Someone said he wasn't as bad as Levy / Brandon / Jauron era. Except I think he was worse. Kyle Williams, lil Donte, poz, Lynch, McKelvin, Stevie Johnson, Freddy Jackson. Eric Wood, Andy levitre, Jairus Byrd, 6 pro bowlers to none?

Edited by FeartheLosing

T.J. Graham over Russell Wilson, that is Buddy's legacy. He ignored the QB position the entire time he was here although it was clearly our biggest need. His failure to be aggressive in addressing the QB position resulted on him reaching on Manuel who right now looks closer to a bust than a Star or even good QB.

The guy was GM for 3 years and after that third season his only QB's were Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler freaking Thigpen. Let's ignore the fact that he took Aaron Williams over Colin Kaepernick when we needed a QB badly in 2011 because we did need help in a lot of areas and Williams wasn't a bad pick.

In the third round of 2011 with again our only QB's Fitzy and Thigpen, there were Wilson, Foles and Cousins all sitting on the board. One of these guys was the logical pick for the Bills. Just like Ngata was instead of Whitner, or Orakpo instead of Maybin. We had a desperate need at QB it was a great time to pick a good one in a great QB draft. Hell before the pick when the Bills had just traded up, Chris Berman said something along the lines of "It's gotta be Wilson, right?

And only if we had a good GM at this moment in time. A GM who realized that without a QB, you are not winning squat in the NFL, and if Fitzy and Thigpen are all you got, you might want to use a third rounder at this point to get one. And what did Nix do? Like every other Bills GM over the last fourteen !@#$ing years of misery and despair, he got cute and traded up not for a talented QB who might end the longest current playoff draught in the NFL, but a niche WR, who is more of a track athlete than a football player. T.J Grahm, who makes more disastrous plays than he does good ones and who never, ever can catch a pass with any sort of contact and struggles with the easier ones as well.

Buddy had some good picks but had some seriously blunders as well. Either way I can't forgive him for taking Graham when we could of and should of had Wilson. Wilson was the consensus pick at that time and Buddy had a perfect opportunity to end this misery by simply taking a player at a position of great need, when the draft was deep at that position, instead he got cute with it. Now instead of having Wilson in Bills gear competing for Super Bowls, or even Foles playing meaningful games in December, we are staring 15 right in the face, hoping, praying that the light is gonna go on with Manuel because if it doesn't we might be staring 20 in the face in a few years. Buddy can suck my balls.

Everone in the world selected before Tom Brady. All of those other GMs sucked. Such an easy and cheap analysis made years after the fact. Where was your chrystal Ball before those drafts??? There's a decrepid old Snauzer in your neighborhood, searching garbage cans for scraps, that wouldn't go near your balls.

Buddy Nix took over in 2010, so it would be name a bunch in 2009.

Still, 2008. Poz, Jason Peters, Marshawn Lynch, Terrence McGee, and Jabari Greer who now has a SB ring with the Saints.

Poz, move Kiko outside. Peters, move Glenn to LG. Lynch as the main power back. Yea, both Greer and McGee both start over McKelvin & Gilmore

However, it really is irrelevant considering Buddy Nix himself stated "you're going to think i'm crazy, but this team is not that far away" after he was hired.

He must have deeply believed that because when free agency open he stated he was going to get some sleep, and slept right thru that dreadful 4-12 season. Oh yea, he did sign FA RT Cornell Green for 2 mil per, and guess what, he was almost as bad as this years Colin Brown. Both were benched and cut after week 6. That 0-8 start with Fitz literally leading the team in rushing YPC while running for his proverbial life :lol:

The old buzzard actually thought the team was brimming with talent. Particularly on the O line because he didn't bother to replace the all pro LT that was traded away, or the lack of a decent pass rusher. Instead the old fool drafted a RB in an area of non need, and traded away the starting RB to this years SB team. :doh:

Someone said he wasn't as bad as Levy / Brandon / Jauron era. Except I think he was worse. Kyle Williams, lil Donte, poz, Lynch, McKelvin, Stevie Johnson, Freddy Jackson. Eric Wood, Andy levitre, Jairus Byrd, 6 pro bowlers to none?

Ba BOOM! Nice.

Everone in the world selected before Tom Brady. All of those other GMs sucked. Such an easy and cheap analysis made years after the fact. Where was your chrystal Ball before those drafts??? There's a decrepid old Snauzer in your neighborhood, searching garbage cans for scraps, that wouldn't go near your balls.

This is such a tired and unconvicing argument that many here post over and over.

It's wrong for several reasons, but mainly for the most obvious: not every team is looking to draft a QB in the first or second round--because they have their solid starter.

Even so, NE was doing OK at QB with Bledsoe and a few years left in the tank, yet they decided to draft his replacement--and Brady was hardly an unknown back at Michigan. Seattle had T Jackson and just coveted Flynn to the tune of 8 figures, yet they decided to draft Wilson anyway.

Buddy, on the other hand, had bad a team struggling at QB, yet he didn't bother to draft a QB (the Levi Brown pick was an insult to the fanbase) in 3 years. He was oblivious to the biggest need at the most important position on a team.