NFL.com Mock Matt Smith

Yeah! Future HOFer and another star TE have never "won a SB"--busts!!

Yet look at all of those top ten drafted Tackles who have won a SB. Why there's........hmmmmm

Ok, how about all of those top 10 drafted tackles who have played in a SB......hmmm.

How many top 10 drafted tackles over the past 10 years have even played in a playoff game?

I need to do some shoping but it's cold outside. Regarding top 10 tackles that have played in SBs, playoffs etc, last year Baltimore defeated the 49ers. Bryant McKinnie played LT for Baltimore. He was selected 7th overall by Minnesota. The 49ers selected Anthony Davis 11th overall in 2010 and Joe Staley 28th overall in 2007.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So.. put 'em behind a great line?

Eddie Lacy looked dynamite this year. I don't think you can paint with a broad brush. No more than you could say Kyle Boller was indicative of Aaron Rodgers' future success.

Like I said, there are always exceptions. Lacy did play with Rodgers so that does help. Just be careful.

I need to do some shoping but it's cold outside. Regarding top 10 tackles that have played in SBs, playoffs etc, last year Baltimore defeated the 49ers. Bryant McKinnie played LT for Baltimore. He was selected 7th overall by Minnesota. The 49ers selected Anthony Davis 11th overall in 2010 and Joe Staley 28th overall in 2007.

The Ravens didn't draft Mckinnie. Also, Harbaugh didn't draft either of those guys.

Like I said, there are always exceptions. Lacy did play with Rodgers so that does help. Just be careful.

Careful is the world. To clarify, though, Lacy was also helping buoy that team in Rodgers' absence. I think the guy was a great value pick and a pretty good indication that excellent backs can and should be gotten outside of the top half of the first round.

Using a top-10 draft pick on a TE would be a poor use of resources but typical for the Buffalo Bills, so I expect it to be a real possibility.

Yeah because the Bills have used so many top 10 picks on TE's in the past. I think the last time they used a pick that high on a TE was Tony Hunter back in 1983. It would actually be an atypical move by the Bills. A typical move for them would be if they took the safety for Alabama with the #9 pick.

I would have no problem with taking Ebron @ #9 but would prefer like a previous poster to drop down, grab another 2nd & then take him. Dude is a matchup nightmare & would open up all the underneath stuff for this offense & would instantly become EJ's best friend.

Stop the madness. Please. Unless EJ vastly improves AND the O-line is upgraded enough to open holes and pass block at a consistently high level, you could take nothing but WRs in this draft, or bring in nothing but top TEs, and absolutely zero will change...Using high draft choices on WRs and TEs might upgrade those positions but will do nothing to plug the real holes: the O-line and stopping the run. That's where the focus has to be. No "luxury" picks this year (unless FA signings take care of those two areas).

This is one of the least informative posts I've seen. Instead of Humms, how about some answers. Did you even research those questions?

So, you're ready to settle for mediocrity? Is 11th in pass blocking, 25th in run blocking good enough for you?

Regarding being better than the Patriots; the Patriots had a lot of difficulty at the center position this year (Ryan Wendell). Witness the beating he took facing Terrance Knighton. Want to bet Belichick has drafting a center high on his priority list. Yet you don't think replacing our poor performing RT and LG with players that will give us one of the top O-lines is important? You think drafting a TE when Buffalo already has a good one is the way to go?

Least informative? Check out your own post below.

Anyway, yes, of course I want a better than average O-line. My point is that it's not as bad as many here descibe and you don't take an 0-lineman in the top 10 if you are a bad team looking to improve on offense. We can easily replace our RG outside of the top 10 picks. Most teams do, in fact. And those who pick in the top 10 are the bottom 10 teams in the league--and history hasn't supported spending this pick on a guard or tackle.

Also, Bellichick never picks in the top 10 (unless in trade).......

McKinnie was drafted by the Vikings. In his 9 years there, they had 4 winning seasons. The Ravens picked him up after another 6-10 season with the Vikings and then he went to the SB with them. So he did little to change the fortunes of Minnesota--and didn't appear in the SB with them.

Davis and Staley (you left out Iupati) weren't picked in the top 10. So, yes, I did research the answers. Your response was incorrect.

This is one of the least informative posts I've seen. Instead of Humms, how about some answers. Did you even research those questions?

So, you're ready to settle for mediocrity? Is 11th in pass blocking, 25th in run blocking good enough for you?

Regarding being better than the Patriots; the Patriots had a lot of difficulty at the center position this year (Ryan Wendell). Witness the beating he took facing Terrance Knighton. Want to bet Belichick has drafting a center high on his priority list. Yet you don't think replacing our poor performing RT and LG with players that will give us one of the top O-lines is important? You think drafting a TE when Buffalo already has a good one is the way to go?

Sok CD, as it seems the majority of the fans here simply don't realize the importance of having a solid line with all five players.

They don't get the fact that despite the fact that the Bills lead the entire league with rushing attempts, and were the #2 rushing team in the NFL. Yet they graded 25th in run blocking. They just don't comprehend that disparity, and probably don't care

What it means to me is that the RB's were the primary reason for the success of that run game, and that the Bills O line couldn't control either the LoS or the clock. Something that is essential in winning games.

It almost seems like the majority of the fans enjoy regurgitating the company line that Doug Marrone started to tow right after he was hired. I read the following as another excuse to not draft O linemen in the first round.

"Buffalo might look outside the organization to upgrade their offensive line this offseason, but they're also optimistic about three young O-line prospects already on the roster."

“We’re in a league that’s based on a salary cap and there are certain positions you need to develop and spend your money in other areas,” he said. “My background as an offensive line coach I realize that you’re not going to be able to spend top dollar for five offensive linemen across the board.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Marrone-sees-promise-in-young-guard-prospects/eba6f00d-58f9-4daf-8dfe-6de9ab15ab16

The Bills prefer to continue to draft for the defense and have no qualms about how many draft picks or how much money they spend on the defense. A 100 million dollar DE because they failed to identify a quality pass rusher in the draft. Continuously spending top draft picks on the secondary so now that they have two #1's at CB. two #2's at safety, and finally became #4 in the NFL in pass defense! as its a passing league right?

Where did it get this team to be the #2 pass rushing team in the NFL along with #4 in pass defense this year, as its a passing league right? Allow me to answer, 6-10.

Oh wait, i forgot they were #28 against the run.... so instead of building that O line up. They will draft a LBer to help with the run defense. Yea, that will finally get them out of the 6-10 basement!

I can guarantee one thing, that the Bills will never win a playoff game with a line similar to the one they have.

P.S. Pears was penciled in to be replaced by Hairston in pre season and would have been replaced had he not been injured, and eventually placed on IR. "He was originally pegged as a starter." http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6643/chris-hairston

Least informative? Check out your own post below.

Davis and Staley (you left out Iupati) weren't picked in the top 10. So, yes, I did research the answers. Your response was incorrect.

No 1. You asked, Sir, about Offensive Tackles being taken top 10 and appearing in post season play as if you thought there were'nt any. Have you forgotton your statement so soon?

No. 2. You never asked about Guards. If you had, I would have included Iupati. And I only went back one year although your statement included the past ten years. You need to go back and re-read what you wrote.

No 3. You're right. Davis was not a top 10 pick. He went 11th overall. You want to quibble about 1 pick???

I don't think you researched your questions at all. If you had, you would not have begun your comment in such a seemingly uninformed manner.

The broad brush.

details details.

The O line is NOT a successful unit.Even though they had continuity for the first time in years !! Minus the Colin Brown experiment.

I have said the line need the most attention , including depth.

no idea about Hairston even as swing tackle at this point so...

I want to swing the draft and or FA to focus on fixing that line. Can still draft a Watkins or an Ebron as long as the LG RT and RG are improved. and i dont mind one bit getting Robinson or Richardson to do just that

No 1. You asked, Sir, about Offensive Tackles being taken top 10 and appearing in post season play as if you thought there were'nt any. Have you forgotton your statement so soon?

No. 2. You never asked about Guards. If you had, I would have included Iupati. And I only went back one year although your statement included the past ten years. You need to go back and re-read what you wrote.

No 3. You're right. Davis was not a top 10 pick. He went 11th overall. You want to quibble about 1 pick???

I don't think you researched your questions at all. If you had, you would not have begun your comment in such a seemingly uninformed manner.

My initial post said there were no top 10 drafted tackles who won a SB or took their team to a SB. There are none. You didn't disprove that with your off topic response (you mention two guys drafted outside the top 10 and one guy who was drafted in the top ten but went to a SB many year later with another team in a different conference)--yet you claim I didn't research this prior to posting, which is strange.

I was surprised you left out Iupati because you seemed to be including any o-lineman taken anywhere in the first round, which was not germane to the topic being discussed.

I don't know another way to explain this to you.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Ah, thanks man. I knew there had to be another one in there somewhere.

Ya, I dunno. I know it's best to go BPA regardless of position. But I just don't see Ebron head and shoulders above Amaro or ASJ.

Jerome Barkum, Johnny Mitchell, and Kyle Brady; and those are just from the Jets.

Yet look at all of those top ten drafted Tackles who have won a SB. Why there's........hmmmmm

Ok, how about all of those top 10 drafted tackles who have played in a SB......hmmm.

How many top 10 drafted tackles over the past 10 years have even played in a playoff game?

Anyway, the Bills O-line isn;t nearly as awful as many here are playing it as. PFF has it ranked just in the top 15---ahead of NE and only 2 spots behind SD. They are 11th in pass blocking and only 25th in run blocking (yet we had a top 5 running game).

Given the high production of our running game, the perception of a poor o-line likely comes from the beating the QBs took. This is mainly because they held the ball too long looking for receivers. Per PFF, the Bills pass blocking was far better than the patriots, yet many here say Brady gets "all the time in the world to throw". that doesn;t seem to be the reason. Our QB's don't know the offense well.

These absolutisms are ridiculous because you can spin this argument any way you want. There have been plenty of Top 10 OLs who have been part of championship winning teams, as well as Top 10 selected playmakers who won SBs. Conversely there were many Top 10 picks at every position who turned out to be spectacular busts, even for championship teams. That's why this is a ridiculous debate.

The Bills' problem over the last decade has simply been poor talent evaluation in addressing their needs. The 2013 draft looks to be a bit more promising and hopefully Whaley will continue the trend. There are still many holes in the roster, any any pick from among OL, WR, TE, LB will be valid in the first round. The hope is that they get a contributing player.

These absolutisms are ridiculous because you can spin this argument any way you want. There have been plenty of Top 10 OLs who have been part of championship winning teams, as well as Top 10 selected playmakers who won SBs. Conversely there were many Top 10 picks at every position who turned out to be spectacular busts, even for championship teams. That's why this is a ridiculous debate.

The Bills' problem over the last decade has simply been poor talent evaluation in addressing their needs. The 2013 draft looks to be a bit more promising and hopefully Whaley will continue the trend. There are still many holes in the roster, any any pick from among OL, WR, TE, LB will be valid in the first round. The hope is that they get a contributing player.

The Bills' problem is they haven't had a top 10-15 starting QB. They consistently fielded bottom tier starting QBs. If you simply switch Brady and the Bills' QBs over the last 10 years, we are the annual playoff team and the Pats are the Bills. Sure the Bills have had crappy picks but they stand out more when you have a bad QB.

Yet look at all of those top ten drafted Tackles who have won a SB. Why there's........Jonathan Ogden Round 1 Pick # 4 1996. Superbowl XXXV.

Ok, how about all of those top 10 drafted tackles who have played in a SB......hmmm. Walter Jones Round 1 Pick # 6 1997 SuperBowl XL

How many top 10 drafted tackles over the past 10 years have even played in a playoff game? D'Brickashaw Ferguson Round 1 Pick #4 2006, multiple playoff games including two AF championship games

Those are just a few off the top of my head. If you want to argue skill position over linemen at least check your facts.

The Bills' problem is they haven't had a top 10-15 starting QB. They consistently fielded bottom tier starting QBs. If you simply switch Brady and the Bills' QBs over the last 10 years, we are the annual playoff team and the Pats are the Bills. Sure the Bills have had crappy picks but they stand out more when you have a bad QB.

Just absurd from my point of view as Brady wouldn't have lasted 10 years behind any Bills O line. The receiving corps have stunk, the lines have stunk, the coaching has stunk.

How does a QB as good as Brady even develop into a super bowl winning QB on a bad team? Answer: he doesn't! After 100+ hits, 50 sacks a year, and several concussions later and the guy is a washed up, running for his life loser. Brady just doesn't have great escape-ability, great mobility. What he does have is great pocket presence, and the ability to float around or step up in the pocket. That is, provided he has an actual pocket.

QB's don't step on the field and magically transform the entire offense into quality personnel.

it's gotta be Mosely.

Any other pick @9 would be madness. Id prefer to take BGSU TE Alex Bayer anyway in rounds 5-7. Bayer is one heck of a versatile ball player.

I like Mosley as a player. My preference, however, is to wait until round 2 and draft Chris Borland out of Wisconsin. I think he's a better fit to play as a thumper next to Kiko, and he's got just as much play-making ability as Mosley (for the record, Mosley is the better tackler IMO).

That would free Buffalo up to take the best player at 9...probably a big-bodied pass catcher.

Just absurd from my point of view as Brady wouldn't have lasted 10 years behind any Bills O line. The receiving corps have stunk, the lines have stunk, the coaching has stunk.

How does a QB as good as Brady even develop into a super bowl winning QB on a bad team? Answer: he doesn't! After 100+ hits, 50 sacks a year, and several concussions later and the guy is a washed up, running for his life loser. Brady just doesn't have great escape-ability, great mobility. What he does have is great pocket presence, and the ability to float around or step up in the pocket. That is, provided he has an actual pocket.

QB's don't step on the field and magically transform the entire offense into quality personnel.

You're overstating things to try and make a point. The Bills allowed 48 sacks this year (with basically 3 guys playing for the first time), the Pats allowed 40. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks/seasontype/2

In 2012, the Bills allowed 30 sacks, the Pats allowed 27. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks/year/2012/seasontype/2

In 2011, the Bills allowed 23 sacks and the Pats allowed 32. http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks/year/2011/seasontype/2

So in a 3 year span, the Bills gave up 2 more sacks than the Pats. Wow. I know we have to think of the Bills at the worst at everything but it's simply no true. I believe that minus the QBs (which makes or breaks teams), the Bills are at worst equal to the Pats in talent.

You're overstating things to try and make a point. The Bills allowed 48 sacks this year (with basically 3 guys playing for the first time), the Pats allowed 40. http://espn.go.com/n...ks/seasontype/2

In 2012, the Bills allowed 30 sacks, the Pats allowed 27. http://espn.go.com/n...12/seasontype/2

In 2011, the Bills allowed 23 sacks and the Pats allowed 32. http://espn.go.com/n...11/seasontype/2

So in a 3 year span, the Bills gave up 2 more sacks than the Pats. Wow. I know we have to think of the Bills at the worst at everything but it's simply no true. I believe that minus the QBs (which makes or breaks teams), the Bills are at worst equal to the Pats in talent.

The truth of the matter is that Brady is very good at slinking around in the pocket, while Buffalo's QBs were atrocious at it this season. So many times they simply rolled away from the protection and into the pressure; one of the things that has to be fixed (and usually comes with experience).

There's a reason that guys like Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. seem so difficult to get to, and it isn't because they have these all-world OLs. Manning's all-pro LT went down for the season, and some former UDFA named Chris Clark came in and seamlessly filled in at LT...because Manning recognizes pressure and how to avoid it.

Sure, Buffalo's OL could use an upgrade; the fact is that most teams' OLs can use an upgrade.