Obama Tacitly Endorses Legalization of Pot

Tiberius

The blunt truth — White house drug czar contradicts Obama on marijuana

White House docs say pot causes brain damage and lower IQ in teens, alcohol does not

President Obama’s latest claims about marijuana are contradicted by research and official positions of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, which is part of the White House. And Mr. Obama’s words have anti-drug leaders worried about negative repercussions among youth.

Mr. Obama claimed to The New Yorker magazine that marijuana is no worse than cigarettes or alcohol and he promoted state efforts by Colorado and Washington to legalize marijuana, which remains illegal under federal law.

The National Drug Control Policy’s official stance, posted on the whitehouse.gov website, says the opposite of Mr. Obama on all counts.

For example, as documented in agency reports, marijuana smoke has significantly more carcinogens than tobacco smoke.

And as reported by the government’s National Institute on Drug Abuse, adolescent use of marijuana does something that alcohol does not; it causes permanent brain damage, including lowering of I.Q.

Taxpayers have spent billions of dollars warning about drugs, often about marijuana, but these efforts were dramatically undercut by the president’s comments.

Read more: http://www.washingto...l#ixzz2r4CFlLmv

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's the drug czar, he, the whole DEA and the Mexican drug cartels are dependent for their livelihood on the weed being bad, so what?

Seriously? The drug czar isn't the DEA, it's an office of the White House itself. The White House contradicts itself on drug policy, and you have no problem with that?

This isn't even State contradicting Defense in the run-up to Iraq. This is the White House contradicting the White House. Much stupider.

And African-American kids and Latino kids are more likely to be poor and less likely to have the resources and the support to avoid unduly harsh penalties.

I would love to ask follow up questions on that.

What do you feel are the root causes of blacks and Latinos being poor?

And now well into you're second term, tell us what you have been doing to correct this disparity?

Anyone care to take this on? Or shall we chat about some roadside ragweed for ever?

Seriously? The drug czar isn't the DEA, it's an office of the White House itself. The White House contradicts itself on drug policy, and you have no problem with that?

This isn't even State contradicting Defense in the run-up to Iraq. This is the White House contradicting the White House. Much stupider.

No, I have no problem with that. Obama is suppose to follow in lock step with every opinion from every secretary and czar he has? That's idiocy only a doodie like you can endorse. As if there has never been disagreements in administrations before! You must be sniffing glue or something

So you really think if we legalize pot the drug cartels are going out of business?

Al Capone was the richest dude--or closest to it--during prohibition, is American organized crime anywhere near that profitable now?

If you cut off their main drug for sale, what are they going to do?

Al Capone was the richest dude--or closest to it--during prohibition, is American organized crime anywhere near that profitable now?

If you cut off their main drug for sale, what are they going to do?

Like I said before. Sell Avon. Are you really this naive?

No, I have no problem with that. Obama is suppose to follow in lock step with every opinion from every secretary and czar he has? That's idiocy only a doodie like you can endorse. As if there has never been disagreements in administrations before! You must be sniffing glue or something

So tell me what this administration's policy is on marijuana, then.

WH to Pot Fans: Slow Down, President’s View Hasn’t Changed

President Obama’s recent comments about marijuana didn’t quite call for the legalization of recreational use, the White House clarified. In a recent interview with The New Yorker, the president made comments that some interpreted as a policy shift on the issue.

While President Obama encouraged the legalization “experiments” in Colorado and Washington to move forward, “he’s not endorsing a specific move by a state,” press secretary Jay Carney explained during the daily briefing on Wednesday. Instead, the president stands by his belief about the negative impact of marijuana, although he supports changes regarding prosecution and sentencing over drug laws.

In The New Yorker, the president described smoking marijuana as no “more dangerous than alcohol” or tobacco cigarettes; he also called it “a bad habit,” “a vice,” and “a waste of time,” and has discouraged his daughters from smoking it.

it's a natural discussion taking place after two states have legalized it for recreational use, despite it still being a federal crime.

At a state level I agree. But with all the items you would hope are on the plate of the federal Govt, how is this even a blip on the radar?

At a state level I agree. But with all the items you would hope are on the plate of the federal Govt, how is this even a blip on the radar?

It's not big on the plate of the Federal Gov't. It's big on OUR plate because we hate stoners and it's so fun to piss them off

How is it even in anyone's top 20 things that the country needs to be concerned about?

It's not.

Neither is immigration. Nor income equality.

But if the media and WH talked about what people want to talk about, they're left on their heels. I mean, does the WH really want to talk about how it has FUBAR'ed the economy so badly that the unemployment rate consistently drops ONLY because people have stopped looking for work? Do they really want to talk about Target getting ready to lay off thousands, or JC Penny closing more stores, or how horrible the holiday sales were for retailers like Best Buy, who chose to open on Thanksgiving, only to find no incremental growth because no one has money?

No. Let's talk about pot. And income equality. Because this administration has proven so inept at his job that he needs to bleed his base for as much cash as he can get to salvage what is left of the mid-terms.