What Holes Does This Team Have?

Rob's House

I keep hearing about all the many holes we have to fill this offseason but I just don't see it. Maybe it's a question of semantics - I think of a "hole" in this context as a position that doesn't have a legitimate NFL caliber starter to fill. Some may consider a "hole" any position that could use an upgrade, but by that definition any position that doesn't have an all-pro could be considered a hole and that's just silly.

By my count the only hole we have on offense is LG. RG and RT could stand to be upgraded, but I don't really consider the team to be devoid of NFL talent at either postion. Same with TE. With Woods and Goodwin showing potential as rookies, and Stevie still in the mix, I don't see WR in that light either, although a big WR would be nice.

On defense we could use a physical LB to help in run support. Otherwise, unless Byrd flies the coup, I don't see a position that doesn't have a solid starter to fill it.

So help me out here, what am I missing?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LG is, without a doubt a hole. I would assume that Pears will be a cap casualty (age + fit + salary) which would make RT one as well.

I think that a "matchup nightmare" on offense is a hole as well, whether you want that to be an athletic TE or a big physical WR is personal preference. The Bills have neither of those guys.

Then for "upgradble spots" like you said, RG could use one, but if you fix LG/RT and Urbik is your weak link you have a very good OL. A 3 down LB to pair with Kiko would be nice, as would a dime DB (Brooks' spot) and OL/DL depth.

QB

I agree. I think this is far and away the biggest hole on the team. I didn't include it because it seems clear that we've got the guy the coaching staff thinks will grow into that position and I'm thinking in terms of holes to address in the offseason (although I'd still be open to drafting a QB either in the mid rds or if a top prospect falls to 9), but yes, that is our biggest weakness.

Edited by Rob's House

LG, RT, TE (depending on Moeaki), LB, S (depending on Byrd), QB (depending on EJ)

I agree with this assessment.

I think RB may need to be added to the list. If Fred gets hurt, then what? CJ can't handle the job by himself. Last year CJ was playing with an ankle sprain so he couldn't juke or explode like we all know he can. And CJ is not much of a between the tackles runner. Fred ain't getting any younger, and I think going into yet another season with Fred as the primary offensive work horse is pretty risky.

QB. Without a QB, nothing else really matters. Manuel is not the answer, so the Bills can do whatever they want at the other positions, but until they get a QB who is a leader and can throw the ball accurately, they will never move forward......

Can we not escape this in any thread? How is it possible to know that Manuel is NOT the answer after 10 starts as a rookie, after having missed valuable preseason experience and in season practice time - and yet he still threw more TDs than INTS to a predominantly very young receiving crew?

LB LG RG and RT are all legit holes in my opinion

WR, TE, and DE opposite Mario need upgrades as well

Urbik is more that serviceable. His play declined this year as he was forced into nearly exclusively 1-1 assignments with Wood being consistently required to work back to the right side of the line due to the play of Brown and Legursky. Filling the LG spot effectively upgrades the RG spot to 2012 levels of production. Also, keep in mind that some players on your roster will simply be league average players, and that each team has limited resources with which they must fill an entire roster. You can't over commit those resources to your offensive line.

The rest of your post I agree with.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

i think a huge hole that needs to be filled is qb coach. i think that if the bills were to hire a competent, intelligent person for this position it would be a wonderful thing. i have nothing against hackett, in fact i kinda like the man, i just think that if the team were to hire a coach whose sole purpose in life is to get the most out of the qbs on this team (especially manuel) then that could only be a good thing. if the qb position gives us only moderate improvement over what we got last year, and all other parts remain the same, i think this is a playoff team. if we get moderate improvement from the qb position and add bpa for the first couple rounds, who knows?

i think a huge hole that needs to be filled is qb coach. i think that if the bills were to hire a competent, intelligent person for this position it would be a wonderful thing. i have nothing against hackett, in fact i kinda like the man, i just think that if the team were to hire a coach whose sole purpose in life is to get the most out of the qbs on this team (especially manuel) then that could only be a good thing. if the qb position gives us only moderate improvement over what we got last year, and all other parts remain the same, i think this is a playoff team. if we get moderate improvement from the qb position and add bpa for the first couple rounds, who knows?

I agree with this 100%. I don't understand why a team would have positional coaches and assistant positional coaches at most every other position, but fail to bring in a dedicated positional coach for the most important position on the field. Nate Hackett might be both a great OC and QB coach (I won't make that argument, but am rather supposing he is for the purpose of making a larger point), but by forcing him to both roles he isn't fully dedicated to either, and with never maximize his potential imact at one without sacrificing at the other. That seems to be a counter intuitive way to proceed.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

QB is unanswered

LG is a big hole

WR (#1 or 2 or 3)

RT or RG

LB

TE (anyone figure out why the Bills activated Moeaki for the final 2 games?)

If Byrd stays then no hole at safety, if he's allowed to walk add another hole.

I should have addressed that one in greater detail. I was going under the assumption that Chandler will be re-signed, yet I have no basis for that assumption. Even if Moeaki is fully healed, I'd still consider TE a need if Chandler leaves on account of Moeaki's propensity for season ending injuries.