NE retailers announce that AFC Champs gear ready for sale Sun. Night

Are these companies taking a big chance, or do they already know the game will be another bag job?

New England Patriots fans can get their hands on officially licensed AFC championship clothing and merchandise immediately after Sunday’s game if the team pulls out a win against the Denver Broncos.

Modell’s Sporting Goods, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Sport Authority stores will stay open as long as there’s customer demand after the 3 p.m. game ends, or until supplies last. Modell’s and Dick’s then will reopen at 6 a.m. Monday, while certain Sports Authority stores will open at 7 a.m.

Modell’s already had the Pats merchandise on hand yesterday — a roughly $500,000 gamble, according to CEO Mitch Modell.

“We took a tremendous risk, but you know what? People expect us to have the merchandise,” Modell said. “We printed up everything: hats, shirts, T-shirts, novelties, pennants — you name it — for men, women, kids.”

The products will be available at Modell’s stores in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire, and all Dick’s in Massachusetts. Sports Authority stores in Watertown, Somerville, Braintree, Woburn, Danvers, Mansfield, Framingham and North Milford will have the extended hours.

“The fact that it’s an early game is great for the customers,” Modell said. “They won’t have to wait until midnight to shop. When (the Pats) beat Peyton Manning … and knowing that New England will come back to New York to play — there are just so many storylines on this thing, it will just get fans crazy.”

http://bostonherald....after_game_ends

If the Patriots lose, the Modell CEO said the merchandise will go to a 3rd world country. But would they really take a risk like that without extenuating circumstances? It sounds like the "storylines" have already been written.

Edited by Golden Wheels

here's a tip from a former insider, they always do this and the websites already have them on the site, hidden by business rules....and if those rules don't work right, you get a visit from people as high up as the commissioner of the league....nfl.com etc has to be ready to fulfill sales the second the game is decided.

Are these companies taking a big chance, or do they already know the game will be another bag job?

If the Patriots lose, the Modell CEO said the merchandise will go to a 3rd world country. But would they really take a risk like that without extenuating circumstances? It sounds like the "storylines" have already been written.

Edited by The Poojer

You do realize all 4 cities are the same with this right?

All four teams/cities do this every year.

my personal and somewhat informed opinion is that that picture is a fake....there is no way any major retailer, like modelles, would be so stupid as to let the product be seen by the public, there would be very, very, very stiff penalties and the threat of losing the right to sell licensed product...i know, its a picture on the internet so it must be true...but i really feel this is a fake.

keep in mind also....a retailer like sports authority, which is cited in that article wouldn't be stupid enough to put Patriots gear out on the floor in advance, especially when you consider their opponent plays in a stadium named after them....'on hand' does not mean 'on sale' or 'on display'

i am also just realizing i am mixing up conversations....someone posted a picture of the ne tees on racks, that is what i was referring to in some of my responses...sorry about that....

Edited by The Poojer

I know they print stuff ahead of time. I just thought it was unusual that they would announce it before the game was even played.

One day you'll see an ad and when the game ends it'll be the first store you run to and it'll all make sense.

Do you really not know this is nothing new and all 4 teams will be doing the same thing?

The Pats are going to get smoked this weekend

:oops:

The greed runs rampant so rather than just print up enough to have at the stadium in case it did happen the Pats win this guy BLOWS $500000 he deserves it to be that big of a ass !!

I'd love to awake tomorrow in an alternate reality like the Truman Show, where the Bills are in the midst of an unprecedented 14 consecutive Super Bowl victories.

Heck i'd settle for one or 2 ...