Mock Draft - 3.0 Updated 3/16/14 (Major Changes) on PG. 4

H2o

I think if either Matthews or Robinson are there the Bills should pull the trigger for so many reasons. Mostly because building a dominate O line is the one thing they haven't tried the last 14 years.

I'd even be OK with the Bills then drafting an OG in both the second and third rounds to finally build a complete top line across the board.

Why not the 4th and 5th too? I'd be all for just drafting O-linemen. Guar-an-teeeeed best all time O-line in NFL history, man. I love it! Woot woot!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :) I will do an update a few days after the Combine, once the dust settles. Then likely one more a week or two before the draft and when FA has changed the landscape.

Edited by H2o

nice post H2o. BTW, I wouldn't* be surprised to see 4 QB's taken in the top 10, as I'd add Derek Carr to that mix. Five teams in the top 10 all have a big need for a franchise QB.

I think if either Matthews or Robinson are there the Bills should pull the trigger for so many reasons. Mostly because building a dominate O line is the one thing they haven't tried the last 14 years.

I'd even be OK with the Bills then drafting an OG in both the second and third rounds to finally build a complete top line across the board.

Currently the Bills have 9 of 11 defensive players that were 1st & 2nd round draft picks, and where did it get them? 6-10 again! The Bills have drafted WR's & RB's with that first round pick many times it hasn't resulted in a playoff game. They even brought in a a known big time WR in TO to bolster the receiving corps, and that didn't work either.

Owens was washed up. Marv tried building a line and failed miserably. The Bills have drafted Mike Williams and Eric Wood in the first rd and it hasn't resulted in a playoff game. They took Evans and it didn't result in a playoff game. The Bills have drafter rb's in the first rd, wr not so much. They've taken horrible players at wr after the first in Graham and Hardy. Same with some offensive lineman. If the Bills had a good gm they'd draft a QB til they get one. Unfortunately teams don't do that.

• 1 month later...

2nd crack at it this year.

1. Houston Texans - Johnny Manziel / QB / Texas A&M - Despite all of the talk of Blake Bortles being a better fit for O'Brien's system, I'm sticking with my original thought here. I think he shows well at his Pro day workout and the rest is history. The Texas born and raised Manziel will not only pack the house, but he would be the building block of the future in Houston.

2. Atlanta Falcons(from St. Louis) - Jadeveon Clowney / DE / South Carolina - The writing is on the wall for this move. Clowney is a complete freak of nature. He is big, fast, strong, and agile. He blew up the combine with his performance. Atlanta is not shy about moving up when they want someone and this is the guy they want.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles / QB / UCF - This is the "anti-Tebow" in state option. A Florida guy tabbed as the future QB to turn around a Florida team. This will help the Jags sell tickets and it helps that the guy is already better than their former "Franchise QB", Blaine Gabbert. Bortles has the talent to succeed, but the Jags will have to do a great job getting the pieces around him to be successful. Look for this draft to be heavy on the offensive side of the ball for the Jags. No change here despite the talk of taking a QB in the 2nd that is going around now and especially with Atlanta moving up to take Clowney @ #2.

4. Cleveland Browns - Sammy Watkins / WR / Clemson - The Browns will select a QB later in Round 1 or in Round 2 almost certainly, but here they get argueably the best WR prospect in the draft. Watkins has blazing speed, great hands, and is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. You team up Watkins with Gordon and Cleveland will have one of the most dynamic WR groups in the NFL.

5. Oakland Raiders - Greg Robinson / OT / Auburn - The possibility of losing Veldheer in FA is a real threat and the Oakland OL was putrid last year. Robinson is regarded as the best OT prospect in the draft by a majority and I think he will be Oakland's pick here.

6. St. Louis Rams - Khalil Mack / LB / Buffalo - Same pick as before, just from a different spot on the board. Mack is a beast and he just showed off his speed at his Pro Day workout (4.45 40 yard dash). St. Louis will have one of the best LB groups, if not defenses, in the NFL.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Anthony Barr / LB / UCLA - What does Lovie Smith know? Defense. He knows that he can line up Barr as a DE on obvious passing situations and stand him up @ LB the rest of the time. He is a versitile defensive playmaker that can cover a lot of ground on every snap and will fit perfectly into Lovie's Tampa 2 scheme.No change here.

8. Minnesota Vikings - Justin Gilbert / CB / Oklahoma St. - They got Xavier Rhodes last year in Round 1 and get another CB this year. They are trying to revamp the defense in Minnesota and I expect them to do so here as there is not a viable option @ QB that would justify the #8 pick, see the past result of grabbing Ponder @ #12. They will not reach for a QB this year, especially since they just re-signed Matt Cassell. No change here.

9. Buffalo Bills - Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M - Changed up from the previous pick, Jake Matthews. Evans showed really well at the combine, especially with his size running a 4.5 40 yard time, not to mention his 37" vertical to go along with the agility he showed. He is one of those guys you can just throw it up to and watch him go get it. Our QB's definitely need that, notice I said QB's.

10. Detroit Lions - Marquise Lee / WR / USC - Calvin Johnson hasn't had a solid running mate opposite him since he's been in the NFL. The Lions will hope this pick changes that. He'll surely take some of the pressure off of Calvin and provide Stafford with yet another weapon in the passing game. No change here.

11. Tennessee Titans - Eric Ebron / TE / UNC - Whisenhunt takes the best offensive weapon on the board. Ebron is going to be a nightmare for LB's to try to keep up with and Safeties to try to out muscle. Locker needs all the weapons he can get. Ebron can also line up outside with the WR's to create mismatches.

12. New York Giants - Timmy Jernigan / DT / Florida St. - The Giants will most likely lose Linval Joseph in FA and Jernigan will be selected to plug the hole left by such a move.

13. St. Louis Rams - Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix / S / Alabama - The defensive theme continues for St. Louis. This draft could put them with the elite defenses of the NFL, being they are in their own division. But if they could get Mack and Clinton-Dix in the same draft, I really do believe this takes them to another level. No change.

14. Chicago Bears - Jake Matthews / OT / Texas A&M - Continue to solidify the OL, especially since you just gave your QB a HUGE contract.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers - CJ Mosley / LB / Alabama - Mosley will replace Foote and start along side of Timmons in the middle for Pittsburgh

16. Dallas Cowboys - Aaron Donald / DT / Pittsburgh - This is another guy who showed out at the combine. Donald would be an immediate starter on Dallas' weak defensive interior. It would also be a great help for Demarcus Ware to play beside a disruptive force like Donald, if Dallas chooses to keep Ware that is.

17. Baltimore Ravens - Taylor Lewan / OT / Michigan - They are going to lose Monroe in FA, bet that. They are also likely moving on from Michael Oher. The line is going to have to be rebuilt if they want to get anything out of their investment in Joe Flacco.

18. New York Jets - Darqueze Dennard / CB / Michigan St. - Milliner started to play better towards the end of the year, but Cromartie was terrible all the way through. They have to do something about that. Dennard is the top CB on some boards and the Jets snag him @ #18 to pair up with Milliner. Cromartie might not even be on the roster come July. No change here.

19. Miami Dolphins - Zack Martin / OT / Notre Dame - Miami is more than likely going to land Eugene Monroe in FA and that is a good start for the rebuild of that absolutely horrible OL. Martin will be another key peice of that rebuild. He offers some flexibility and he can play OT or OG and likely both at a high quality level.

20. Arizona Cardinals - Stephon Tuitt / DE / Notre Dame - Coming off a solid season that saw them miss out on the playoffs they have to keep up with the other elite defenses in the division. Tuitt will be an immediate upgrade and starter on that defensive front. He reminds me a lot of young Richard Seymour and has the ability to slide to the inside to rush the passer in Nickel/Dime situations.

21. Green Bay Packers - Jace Amaro / TE / Texas Tech - Aaron Rodgers will benefit the most from this. Amaro, like Ebron, is a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. He will have to work on his blocking if he wants to be an every down TE, but from a receiving standpoint alone he is worth the pick. This may or may not change if they re-sign Quarless, but I still see the pick happeneing with a lot of teams running two TE sets these days.

22. Philadelphia Eagles - Calvin Pryor / S / Louisville - Make no mistake about it, the Philly defense is bad. The offense can score with anyone, but they have to correct the defense if they want to be able to actually be a contender. The secondary was particularly weak. Pryor is the 2nd best S in this draft and would already be better than any option they have right now.

23. Kansas City Chiefs - Kareem Martin / DE/OLB / North Carolina - I think an excellent showing at the combine has him on the rise. People are sleeping on this guy, some rating him as low as a 3rd Round prospect.. He put up good numbers @ UNC last year with 11.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss. He has 35+ inch arms and showed explosiveness in necessary areas at the combine also. Put him on a defense that already showed fairly well last year and look out.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Kelvin Benjamin / WR / Florida St. - Picture what Chicago has with Jeffrey and Marshall. Now that will be Cincy as well with Green and Benjamin. No change.

25. San Diego Chargers - Cyril Richardson / OT-OG / Baylor - San Diego looks to protect their rejuvenated Franchise QB and open lanes for their RB's. Rhinehart may be gone in FA and Richardson provides some versatility being able to play both OG and OT. Joe D. will have him ready to step in from day one. No change.

26. Cleveland Browns - Derek Carr / QB / Fresno St. - The Bridgewater free fall continues and now has a QB go in front of him that he did not expect. Carr is more of a Shanahan type of QB prospect than Bridgewater. It's a good fit for Carr. Now they go from having only Josh Gordon to having Gordon, Watkins, and their QB of the future.

27. New Orleans Saints - Antonio Richardson / OT / Tennessee - Brees had to run for his life more this season than in any other I can remember. Richardson would be a solid pick here to help protect your QB. No change.

28. Carolina Panthers - Allen Robinson / WR / Penn St. - Cam needs more weapons on offense and Robinson is a big target who can be just that. He put up excellent numbers while having a young QB slinging the ball to him. Now he'll have a better QB and Steve Smith drawing coverage on the other side along with Olsen over the middle. This could be a GREAT fit for him. No change.

29. New England Patriots - Ra'Shede Hageman / DT-DE / Minnesota - He will line up all over the defensive line for the Pats*, but mainly his snaps will come @ DE in the 3-4. No change.

30. San Francisco 49ers - Kyle Fuller / CB / Virginia Tech - This is probably the one position on defense that the 49ers truly need some help at, or at least some depth. Fuller had a solid year and showed well when facing the better competition.

31. Denver Broncos - Bradley Roby / CB / Ohio St. - It's no secret that the Denver secondary is weak. Now they have cut the declining Champ Bailey also. I like Roby as a player. They say he fell off a bit this past season, but when I watched him(only 2 or 3 times) I saw a guy who covered well and was not afraid to stick his head in there against the run. He had an excellent showing at the combine and I think he is Denver's choice here.

32. Seattle Seahawks - Gabe Jackson / OG / Mississippi St. - He fits right in with their Power Run scheme on offense and will just be another road grader for Beast Mode to run behind.

Edited by H2o

So, Bridgewater does the Quinn Rogers slide right out of the first round? The most pro-ready QB in the draft? I know one or two of these QBs are gonna fall, but Bridgewater would be my last guess. Stranger things have happened though.

GO BILLS!!!

2nd crack at it this year.

1. Houston Texans - Johnny Manziel / QB / Texas A&M - Despite all of the talk of Blake Bortles being a better fit for O'Brien's system, I'm sticking with my original thought here. I think he shows well at his Pro day workout and the rest is history. The Texas born and raised Manziel will not only pack the house, but he would be the building block of the future in Houston.

2. Atlanta Falcons(from St. Louis) - Jadeveon Clowney / DE / South Carolina - The writing is on the wall for this move. Clowney is a complete freak of nature. He is big, fast, strong, and agile. He blew up the combine with his performance. Atlanta is not shy about moving up when they want someone and this is the guy they want.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles / QB / UCF - This is the "anti-Tebow" in state option. A Florida guy tabbed as the future QB to turn around a Florida team. This will help the Jags sell tickets and it helps that the guy is already better than their former "Franchise QB", Blaine Gabbert. Bortles has the talent to succeed, but the Jags will have to do a great job getting the pieces around him to be successful. Look for this draft to be heavy on the offensive side of the ball for the Jags. No change here despite the talk of taking a QB in the 2nd that is going around now and especially with Atlanta moving up to take Clowney @ #2.

4. Cleveland Browns - Sammy Watkins / WR / Clemson - The Browns will select a QB later in Round 1 or in Round 2 almost certainly, but here they get argueably the best WR prospect in the draft. Watkins has blazing speed, great hands, and is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball. You team up Watkins with Gordon and Cleveland will have one of the most dynamic WR groups in the NFL.

5. Oakland Raiders - Greg Robinson / OT / Auburn - The possibility of losing Veldheer in FA is a real threat and the Oakland OL was putrid last year. Robinson is regarded as the best OT prospect in the draft by a majority and I think he will be Oakland's pick here.

6. St. Louis Rams - Khalil Mack / LB / Buffalo - Same pick as before, just from a different spot on the board. Mack is a beast and he just showed off his speed at his Pro Day workout (4.45 40 yard dash). St. Louis will have one of the best LB groups, if not defenses, in the NFL.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Anthony Barr / LB / UCLA - What does Lovie Smith know? Defense. He knows that he can line up Barr as a DE on obvious passing situations and stand him up @ LB the rest of the time. He is a versitile defensive playmaker that can cover a lot of ground on every snap and will fit perfectly into Lovie's Tampa 2 scheme.No change here.

8. Minnesota Vikings - Justin Gilbert / CB / Oklahoma St. - They got Xavier Rhodes last year in Round 1 and get another CB this year. They are trying to revamp the defense in Minnesota and I expect them to do so here as there is not a viable option @ QB that would justify the #8 pick, see the past result of grabbing Ponder @ #12. They will not reach for a QB this year, especially since they just re-signed Matt Cassell. No change here.

9. Buffalo Bills - Mike Evans / WR / Texas A&M - Changed up from the previous pick, Jake Matthews. Evans showed really well at the combine, especially with his size running a 4.5 40 yard time, not to mention his 37" vertical to go along with the agility he showed. He is one of those guys you can just throw it up to and watch him go get it. Our QB's definitely need that, notice I said QB's.

10. Detroit Lions - Marquise Lee / WR / USC - Calvin Johnson hasn't had a solid running mate opposite him since he's been in the NFL. The Lions will hope this pick changes that. He'll surely take some of the pressure off of Calvin and provide Stafford with yet another weapon in the passing game. No change here.

11. Tennessee Titans - Eric Ebron / TE / UNC - Whisenhunt takes the best offensive weapon on the board. Ebron is going to be a nightmare for LB's to try to keep up with and Safeties to try to out muscle. Locker needs all the weapons he can get. Ebron can also line up outside with the WR's to create mismatches.

12. New York Giants - Timmy Jernigan / DT / Florida St. - The Giants will most likely lose Linval Joseph in FA and Jernigan will be selected to plug the hole left by such a move.

13. St. Louis Rams - Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix / S / Alabama - The defensive theme continues for St. Louis. This draft could put them with the elite defenses of the NFL, being they are in their own division. But if they could get Mack and Clinton-Dix in the same draft, I really do believe this takes them to another level. No change.

14. Chicago Bears - Jake Matthews / OT / Texas A&M - Continue to solidify the OL, especially since you just gave your QB a HUGE contract.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers - CJ Mosley / LB / Alabama - Mosley will replace Foote and start along side of Timmons in the middle for Pittsburgh

16. Dallas Cowboys - Aaron Donald / DT / Pittsburgh - This is another guy who showed out at the combine. Donald would be an immediate starter on Dallas' weak defensive interior. It would also be a great help for Demarcus Ware to play beside a disruptive force like Donald, if Dallas chooses to keep Ware that is.

17. Baltimore Ravens - Taylor Lewan / OT / Michigan - They are going to lose Monroe in FA, bet that. They are also likely moving on from Michael Oher. The line is going to have to be rebuilt if they want to get anything out of their investment in Joe Flacco.

18. New York Jets - Darqueze Dennard / CB / Michigan St. - Milliner started to play better towards the end of the year, but Cromartie was terrible all the way through. They have to do something about that. Dennard is the top CB on some boards and the Jets snag him @ #18 to pair up with Milliner. Cromartie might not even be on the roster come July. No change here.

19. Miami Dolphins - Zack Martin / OT / Notre Dame - Miami is more than likely going to land Eugene Monroe in FA and that is a good start for the rebuild of that absolutely horrible OL. Martin will be another key peice of that rebuild. He offers some flexibility and he can play OT or OG and likely both at a high quality level.

20. Arizona Cardinals - Stephon Tuitt / DE / Notre Dame - Coming off a solid season that saw them miss out on the playoffs they have to keep up with the other elite defenses in the division. Tuitt will be an immediate upgrade and starter on that defensive front. He reminds me a lot of young Richard Seymour and has the ability to slide to the inside to rush the passer in Nickel/Dime situations.

21. Green Bay Packers - Jace Amaro / TE / Texas Tech - Aaron Rodgers will benefit the most from this. Amaro, like Ebron, is a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. He will have to work on his blocking if he wants to be an every down TE, but from a receiving standpoint alone he is worth the pick. This may or may not change if they re-sign Quarless, but I still see the pick happeneing with a lot of teams running two TE sets these days.

22. Philadelphia Eagles - Calvin Pryor / S / Louisville - Make no mistake about it, the Philly defense is bad. The offense can score with anyone, but they have to correct the defense if they want to be able to actually be a contender. The secondary was particularly weak. Pryor is the 2nd best S in this draft and would already be better than any option they have right now.

23. Kansas City Chiefs - Kareem Martin / DE/OLB / North Carolina - I think an excellent showing at the combine has him on the rise. People are sleeping on this guy, some rating him as low as a 3rd Round prospect.. He put up good numbers @ UNC last year with 11.5 sacks and 21.5 tackles for loss. He has 35+ inch arms and showed explosiveness in necessary areas at the combine also. Put him on a defense that already showed fairly well last year and look out.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Kelvin Benjamin / WR / Florida St. - Picture what Chicago has with Jeffrey and Marshall. Now that will be Cincy as well with Green and Benjamin. No change.

25. San Diego Chargers - Cyril Richardson / OT-OG / Baylor - San Diego looks to protect their rejuvenated Franchise QB and open lanes for their RB's. Rhinehart may be gone in FA and Richardson provides some versatility being able to play both OG and OT. Joe D. will have him ready to step in from day one. No change.

26. Cleveland Browns - Derek Carr / QB / Fresno St. - The Bridgewater free fall continues and now has a QB go in front of him that he did not expect. Carr is more of a Shanahan type of QB prospect than Bridgewater. It's a good fit for Carr. Now they go from having only Josh Gordon to having Gordon, Watkins, and their QB of the future.

27. New Orleans Saints - Antonio Richardson / OT / Tennessee - Brees had to run for his life more this season than in any other I can remember. Richardson would be a solid pick here to help protect your QB. No change.

28. Carolina Panthers - Allen Robinson / WR / Penn St. - Cam needs more weapons on offense and Robinson is a big target who can be just that. He put up excellent numbers while having a young QB slinging the ball to him. Now he'll have a better QB and Steve Smith drawing coverage on the other side along with Olsen over the middle. This could be a GREAT fit for him. No change.

29. New England Patriots - Ra'Shede Hageman / DT-DE / Minnesota - He will line up all over the defensive line for the Pats*, but mainly his snaps will come @ DE in the 3-4. No change.

30. San Francisco 49ers - Kyle Fuller / CB / Virginia Tech - This is probably the one position on defense that the 49ers truly need some help at, or at least some depth. Fuller had a solid year and showed well when facing the better competition.

31. Denver Broncos - Bradley Roby / CB / Ohio St. - It's no secret that the Denver secondary is weak. Now they have cut the declining Champ Bailey also. I like Roby as a player. They say he fell off a bit this past season, but when I watched him(only 2 or 3 times) I saw a guy who covered well and was not afraid to stick his head in there against the run. He had an excellent showing at the combine and I think he is Denver's choice here.

32. Seattle Seahawks - Gabe Jackson / OG / Mississippi St. - He fits right in with their Power Run scheme on offense and will just be another road grader for Beast Mode to run behind.

Great work in the top 10. That is along the lines of what I think will happen. I do think that Teddy will still go pretty early but I like the trade up for Clowney as well as Gilbert moving to 8. I could see all of that. I am pretty convinced that Evans is the target. I wasn't a big fan but he is growing on me.

So you'd rather take the 2nd or 3rd ranked WR instead of the top ranked OT?

We desperately need OL help in the worst way. Legursky is a tire fire and Pears has regressed and is in the final year of his contract. The time is now to upgrade and Whaley has an oldschool philosophy that you build a team from the inside out.

An OT is not a sexy pick but it fills a major need and it's how good teams win games.

Not a fan. I love getting Gabe Jackson and the potential of Garoppolo, though.

I agree, I would be fine with an OT in round 1.

I do not think that the argument "best OT over the 2nd or 3rd best Wr" is relevant. I am not arguing that this is the case this year, but it is certainly possible for the 2nd, 3rd, even 4th best player at position X to be rated higher than the 1st player at position Y.

I'm of the same mind that we need to improve the OL, I just don't think that pick 9 is the spot to do it. you can get just as good OL talent between picks 25-75. Look where we've gotten out best OL recently. Wood was about pick 28 and Levitre and Glenn were second rounders. At 9 I wouldn't be opposed to a LB, or especially a TE.

As for Levitre, letting him go wasn't the problem. The issue was having no plan to replace him. There were 3-4 good FA OGs that we could have brought in and didn't. This year I think we can address at least one of the trouble OL spots in free agency, and then snag an OL in round 2 or 3.

I know that I am in the minority, but I don't really like the TE group that much - though I certainly see the value in having a great one.

I think Ebron is a good, not great prospect and I hope they can get a great prospect in round 1. Now, if they trade down in round 1, I could be happy to get Ebron. I am not a big Seferian-Jenkins fan, but he is the next best prospect I think.

Beyond those two, there are a bunch that sound to me like Scott Chandler and Tony Moeaki. I'd just as soon keep Chandler, if they can.

I'd be interested in the TE view from any of the members here who have an in with NFL scouts. As I said, a great TE can really help an offense, maybe I am missing something wrt this year's TE prospects...

Edited by OldTimer1960

http://mmqb.si.com/2...position-value/

Taking an offensive lineman early in the draft is a waste of a pick.

Uh huh..

Well as long as the kid who cuts Peter King's lawn says so...

He probably should have waited until after the season was over to write that.

3 of the first 4 teams that draft OT's (all 3 ended up playing RT, btw) in the 1st ended up improving their O's dramatically...and went to the playoffs.

San Diego went from 31st in 2012 to 5th in yards, and made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years;

Kansas City went from scoring 13 points a game to 27 and went from the NFL's worst to a playoff team;

Philadelphia went from scoring 17 points a game to more than 27, and was 2nd in the league in yards ganied. Another team that went from drafting 4th to the playoffs.

Does it guarantee success? nope. Nor does any other position.

Can it help an offense? Oh yeah.

Do sucessful teams draft OL in the 1st? Yep..and pretty consistently.

Has our reluctance to draft OL in the 1st round given the Bills success? 14 years and counting..

The nice thing about being a Bills' fan is that when November rolls around, and we have nothing to do but look forward to the draft, we can look at the playoff teams and say things like, "they really wasted their no. 1 pick on an OT".

We do know better than them, as our playoff record shows.

I know that I am in the minority, but I don't really like the TE group that much - though I certainly see the value in having a great one.

I think Ebron is a good, not great prospect and I hope they can get a great prospect in round 1. Now, if they trade down in round 1, I could be happy to get Ebron. I am not a big Seferian-Jenkins fan, but he is the next best prospect I think.

Beyond those two, there are a bunch that sound to me like Scott Chandler and Tony Moeaki. I'd just as soon keep Chandler, if they can.

I don't think that you are crazy at all. I am not really sure that a traditional TE will help this team much. They need an athlete that they can split out that is a big target. Ebron would seem to be that. I think that the Bills ran the ball more effectively when they spread the field. I am a firm believer that you don't need 2 TEs, fullbacks, etc... to run effectively. You need space.

I would just assume they take a small school athlete in the 5th or so than taking Amaro in the 2nd. Give me a converted basketball player to develop. You can find the big plodding Lee Smith types anywhere. There is at least 1 Gronk looking for work.

Uh huh..

Well as long as the kid who cuts Peter King's lawn says so...

He probably should have waited until after the season was over to write that.

3 of the first 4 teams that draft OT's (all 3 ended up playing RT, btw) in the 1st ended up improving their O's dramatically...and went to the playoffs.

San Diego went from 31st in 2012 to 5th in yards, and made the playoffs for the first time in 4 years;

Kansas City went from scoring 13 points a game to 27 and went from the NFL's worst to a playoff team;

Philadelphia went from scoring 17 points a game to more than 27, and was 2nd in the league in yards ganied. Another team that went from drafting 4th to the playoffs.

Does it guarantee success? nope. Nor does any other position.

Can it help an offense? Oh yeah.

Do sucessful teams draft OL in the 1st? Yep..and pretty consistently.

Has our reluctance to draft OL in the 1st round given the Bills success? 14 years and counting..

The nice thing about being a Bills' fan is that when November rolls around, and we have nothing to do but look forward to the draft, we can look at the playoff teams and say things like, "they really wasted their no. 1 pick on an OT".

We do know better than them, as our playoff record shows.

Not to be a naysayer but Fisher was awful, Joekel hurt, Johnson and Fluker scored right around average as per PFF. The best lineman in the draft by a mile was Larry Warford who was a 2nd round pick. In addition, the 3 drafted in the top 10 were selected to block the blindside (Vick was the QB in Philly). One got hurt, one proved incapable and the other ended up with a right handed QB. The Bills to not need a blindside protector, there are really good RT in free agency and depth at guard in this draft (great players in rounds 2-3). A RT in the top 10 would be a complete waste and not likely at all IMO. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't think that you are crazy at all. I am not really sure that a traditional TE will help this team much. They need an athlete that they can split out that is a big target. Ebron would seem to be that. I think that the Bills ran the ball more effectively when they spread the field. I am a firm believer that you don't need 2 TEs, fullbacks, etc... to run effectively. You need space.

I would just assume they take a small school athlete in the 5th or so than taking Amaro in the 2nd. Give me a converted basketball player to develop. You can find the big plodding Lee Smith types anywhere. There is at least 1 Gronk looking for work.

Not to be a naysayer but Fisher was awful, Joekel hurt, Johnson and Fluker scored right around average as per PFF. The best lineman in the draft by a mile was Larry Warford who was a 2nd round pick. In addition, the 3 drafted in the top 10 were selected to block the blindside (Vick was the QB in Philly). One got hurt, one proved incapable and the other ended up with a right handed QB. The Bills to not need a blindside protector, there are really good RT in free agency and depth at guard in this draft (great players in rounds 2-3). A RT in the top 10 would be a complete waste and not likely at all IMO.

uh huh.

God, I hope we take another DB...that's been working out so well for us.

http://nfl.si.com/20...deveon-clowney/

If Houston trades for Mallett as per the attached, it changes everything.

The Houston Chronicle reports the Texans "won't be trading for" QB Ryan Mallett.

Beat writer John McClain is on top of everything Texans. While the dots connect between Mallett and Houston coach Bill O'Brien, Mallett still means a lot to the Patriots as Tom Brady's backup. The Texans have numerous holes to fill and aren't going to deal significant draft pick compensation for a quarterback who has attempted just four career passes and remains an unknown throughout the league. McClain thinks Cleveland's Brian Hoyer would make a better trade target.

Related: Brian Hoyer, Texans

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Why not the 4th and 5th too? I'd be all for just drafting O-linemen. Guar-an-teeeeed best all time O-line in NFL history, man. I love it! Woot woot!

I accept the challenge!

1-Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

2-Gabe Jackson OG Mississippi St

3-Jack Mewhort OT Ohio State

4-Ryan Groy OG Wisconsin

5-Brandon Linder OG Miami (FL)

6-Russell Bodine OC North Carolina

7-John Urschel OG Penn State

Playoffs!

I accept the challenge!

1-Taylor Lewan OT Michigan

2-Gabe Jackson OG Mississippi St

3-Jack Mewhort OT Ohio State

4-Ryan Groy OG Wisconsin

5-Brandon Linder OG Miami (FL)

6-Russell Bodine OC North Carolina

7-John Urschel OG Penn State

Playoffs!

I can think of at least one member of this board that is holding a book in front of his nether regions.

So you'd rather take the 2nd or 3rd ranked WR instead of the top ranked OT?

We desperately need OL help in the worst way. Legursky is a tire fire and Pears has regressed and is in the final year of his contract. The time is now to upgrade and Whaley has an oldschool philosophy that you build a team from the inside out.

An OT is not a sexy pick but it fills a major need and it's how good teams win games.

Not a fan. I love getting Gabe Jackson and the potential of Garoppolo, though.

IMHO Garoppolo will be taken in the 2nd or 3rd round.