there is a reason Modrak is still in Buffalo..

bluenews

1 is a Bledose supporter

2 Didn't believe Terrence McGee could play in the NFL and why we signed Troy Vincent away from the Eagles

3 Disagreed with coaching staff and thought Izeal Reese and Coy Wire solid safeties

4 has brought in (failed) ex Eagle front office/scouts to validate his opinions

.....it will be an interesting offseason.

1  is a Bledose supporter

2  Didn't believe Terrence McGee could play in the NFL and why we signed Troy Vincent away from the Eagles

3  Disagreed with coaching staff and thought Izeal Reese and Coy Wire solid safeties

212306[/snapback]

Actually, everyone in the organization has supported Bledsoe at one time or another, in fact who hasn't?

Lots of other GM and assistants, in fact all, passed on McGee too.

Vincent, when healthy, helped the team and will continue to do so next year.

Modrak should get all the credit in the world for the stuff he did BEFORE coming to Buffalo. Lets remember, he was the one who took McNabb over the pot-head Wicky Williams and got blasted by the Philly fans and media. I bet they arent complaining now.

By the way, could you just imagine how much faster Wicky would have been out of the NFL if his career started in Philly? Imagine how much the fans would have destroyed whatever self-esteem he had.

Modrak should get all the credit in the world for the stuff he did BEFORE coming to Buffalo.  Lets remember, he was the one who took McNabb over the pot-head Wicky Williams and got blasted by the Philly fans and media.  I bet they arent complaining now.

By the way, could you just imagine how much faster Wicky would have been out of the NFL if his career started in Philly?  Imagine how much the fans would have destroyed whatever self-esteem he had.

212312[/snapback]

that's a disputed story. reid's side floated the story that modrak didn't want mcnabb, which modrak vehemently denied. not sure who to believe ...

Actually, everyone in the organization has supported Bledsoe at one time or another, in fact who hasn't?

Lots of other GM and assistants, in fact all, passed on McGee too.

Vincent, when healthy, helped the team and will continue to do so next year.

212311[/snapback]

I'll never understand why McGee wasn't returning kicks in 2003 - he was rated as one of the very best return men in college.

2  Didn't believe Terrence McGee could play in the NFL and why we signed Troy Vincent away from the Eagles

3  Disagreed with coaching staff and thought Izeal Reese and Coy Wire solid safeties

212306[/snapback]

I'd like to know how you know this inside information. I follow as much Bills news as possible and have never come across Modraks feelings on any player currently in the organization. As for the Bills player roster, I think it is one of the best collections of talent in the league. Hard to get on Modrak here.

I'll never understand why McGee wasn't returning kicks in 2003 - he was rated as one of the very best return men in college.

212315[/snapback]

Right. Blame Modrak for coaches' decisions. I guess we have very short memories, and selective reading of McGee's own comments.

If I'm not mistaken, Antonio Brown had a monster preseason, and that won him the full return job. He regressed sufficiently for Smith to make a midseason switch to Clements to return punts.

By McGee's own admission, he was not mentally ready for the job, and that allowed Brown to leapfrog him in camp.

As to the Vincent signing, how would you not believe that Modrak (or more appropriately, John Guy) didn't forsee Vincent moving to FS, if McGee developed into a solid corner? The last thing the administration wanted to do is go into a season with a virtual rookie at CB, to be supported by stiffs at FS. Nice logic. Look no further than Bills performance with Vincent out of the lineup.

212306[/snapback]

This has to be a joke.

Right.  Blame Modrak for coaches' decisions.  I guess we have very short memories, and selective reading of McGee's own comments.

If I'm not mistaken, Antonio Brown had a monster preseason, and that won him the full return job.  He regressed sufficiently for Smith to make a midseason switch to Clements to return punts. 

By McGee's own admission, he was not mentally ready for the job, and that allowed Brown to leapfrog him in camp. 

As to the Vincent signing, how would you not believe that Modrak (or more appropriately, John Guy) didn't forsee Vincent moving to FS, if McGee developed into a solid corner?  The last thing the administration wanted to do is go into a season with a virtual rookie at CB, to be supported by stiffs at FS.  Nice logic.  Look no further than Bills performance with Vincent out of the lineup.

212359[/snapback]

No, I wasn't blaming Mondrak - just a musing about McGee. You seem to assume that I have no knowledge of the GW/KG style.

Lighten up.

bluenews, you're full of schitt. you don't know which scout wanted who and which didn't. Don't presume to have such inside knowledge, we know you're just another web forum hack like the rest of us.

the fact of the matter is that modrak is one of the best personnel men in the NFL and he's widely regarded as such. Modrak wasn't the guy who brought in Bledsoe, it was Donahoe. And for half a season it looked like a stroke of genius, before he hit his wall. Even still, the bills DIDN"T HAVE a QB at that time. We needed credibility at that position immediately and bledsoe was the right move then, just as releasing him is the right move now.

and McGee was a GEM in the 4th round FOUND BY AND ENDORSED BY MODRAK! This is a known fact - he has described the process before in interviews and when he talked about McGee he was really high on him.

You don't know Jack Schitt, so just quit whining to yourself about what you think you know.

212306[/snapback]

And you know this how? I don't mind laying blame on someone for bad decsions, if they are in fact bad decisions. I do mind laying the blame on someone for bad decisions without something to substantiate that blame. I have never read or seen anything that has stated Modrak is responsible for any of these decisions. Could you enlighten us with some links or collaboration?

As for you points:

1. Everyone in the front office has come out in strong support of Bledsoe, including Ralph and TD. No surprise here that Modrak was in agreement with the company line. Although the winds seemed to have shifted on this point.

2. Who could be sure that McGee was ready to start at CB? It is one of the hardest positions to play in the NFL and pure athleticism simply won't cut it. Bringing Vincent in was an excellent way to solidify the position with depth and experience. I think you will be hard pressed to find many Bills supporters to say Vincent's signing was detrimental to the Bills organization.

3. What coaching staff did he disagree with? Reese and Wire have shown that they cannot be consistent starters at Safety, but I don't think that anyone's game plan was to have either of them here long term, as starters, going into this preseason.

4. Who are these failed scouts? Are they the ones that found 4 different undrafted FAs who contributed mightily to the Bills successes this year? SUBSTANTIATE!

My final point will be that although Modrak may have some say in the form of advice, isn't it Tom Donahoe who ultimately makes the decisions and should therefore be the one who is responsible for them?

If he has so high in McGee.....why did he have him burried behind Kevin Thomas on the depth chart?

bluenews, you're full of schitt. you don't know which scout wanted who and which didn't. Don't presume to have such inside knowledge, we know you're just another web forum hack like the rest of us.

the fact of the matter is that modrak is one of the best personnel men in the NFL and he's widely regarded as such. Modrak wasn't the guy who brought in Bledsoe, it was Donahoe. And for half a season it looked like a stroke of genius, before he hit his wall. Even still, the bills DIDN"T HAVE a QB at that time. We needed credibility at that position immediately and bledsoe was the right move then, just as releasing him is the right move now.

and McGee was a GEM in the 4th round FOUND BY AND ENDORSED BY MODRAK! This is a known fact - he has described the process before in interviews and when he talked about McGee he was really high on him.

You don't know Jack Schitt, so just quit whining to  yourself about what you think you know.

212403[/snapback]

212306[/snapback]

I think you're confusing that with the reason YOU'RE still in Buffalo, or wherever the hell you are. Top ten dumbest posts of all time? I think this makes the list.

Are you one of the dumbest people around, or do you just seem like it?

When McGee was a rookie, he started as the #4 corner behind KT. Why? BECAUSE KT had *experience at nickel*, you stupid fug. McGee never played nickel in his life, and it's a VERY different position. In spite of that, McGee eventually became our nickel CB late in the season. This year, he was our starting nickel right out of camp...until the injury to Vincent happened. Why did they sign Vincent? Because he's as saavy and experienced as they come, and the Bills needed more of that in their secondary. Two, you MUST have good depth at that position. Three, McGee was not a PROVEN #2 yet. He had grown up in the Bills as a nickel cornerback.

Have I dumbed it all down for you well enough? Need I simplify it more?

If he has so high in McGee.....why did he have him burried behind Kevin Thomas on the depth chart?

212418[/snapback]

212418[/snapback]

IIRC, the scouting report on McGee had him as safety being his natural position - he switched to cb in his senior year with mixed results. And who knows? He may end up in that spot with the Bills when all is said and done.

As you imply, he's a good player. Glad we have him on the roster.

Uhh, I know that this may be an unpopular thing to say, but I am still not sure that Terrance Mcgee is a solid NFL corner. He is a special teams monster for sure, and deserves a roster spot on that alone. His coverage skills are decent, but not close to Troy Vincent (or at least Troy Vincent in his prime). If the rest of the Bills defense hadn't played as well as it had, I believe that McGee would have been the weak spot on the defense. I think he is very good, but is still a year or two away, as a corner. It is a very tough position to play, and he is learning, but still has a few lessons to go...