BB 2014 Off-season discussion; Mocks, FA, etc.

Armchair GM

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a link to that by any chance?

7 Rounder starts here. http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

Eric Wood with an interesting tweet regarding Kiper's mock:

Eric Wood@EWood70 1h

@ChrisBrownBills: Kiper goes OT for Bills at 9 http://wp.me/plmrg-9Ev” the reasoning below the pick is garbage. Gotta watch tape!

I like the pick but don't like the reasoning Kiper gives. Matthews gives the Bills a LT or RT at worst, with potential Pro Bowlers in Glenn, Matthews and Wood. Most mocks have Matthews gone by Nine. He doesn't have Robinson's ceiling, but he is NFL ready now. Robinson would take a year.

7 Rounder starts here. http://www.drafttek....raft-Round1.asp

I like the pick but don't like the reasoning Kiper gives. Matthews gives the Bills a LT or RT at worst, with potential Pro Bowlers in Glenn, Matthews and Wood. Most mocks have Matthews gone by Nine. He doesn't have Robinson's ceiling, but he is NFL ready now. Robinson would take a year.

HYDE! Sold. of course, I don't think he will be there in the 3rd.

7 Rounder starts here. http://www.drafttek....raft-Round1.asp

I'm great with Matthews pick, don't like the rest of them. I'm not sold on Skov in the 2nd and certainly not a RB in the 3rd. I would rather they take Matthews, Kelvin Benjamin, and Borland in that order and then take a TE, CB, DT and QB also in that order....

NFL Mock Draft 1.0 By Doug Farrar (SI.com): http://nfl.si.com/20...ridgewater-3/3/

9. Buffalo Bills (6-10): C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama.

Mosley and Kiko Alonso in the same defense? Seems unfair to the rest of the AFC East, but that’s how it goes sometimes. This is high for a linebacker, but you don’t see a lot of linebackers with Mosley’s range, versatility and field awareness. Putting him in this defense would give the Bills one unreal base front seven, and allow the team to play nickel and dime with impunity, because the linebackers would be flying all over the place.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Rotoworld put out a list of free agents loosely based on where they think players will be valued on the market. Here's the link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nfl-free-agents-015900284--nfl.html

Byrd and Chandler are where I'd expect them to be. Carrington is getting a little more love than I would have thought. The biggest surprise in my opinion is how high they have Moats. Good for him if GM'S agree.

Armchair GM..nice job on this topic and getting lots of comments ..imho go for TE, LB or OT..this draft is strong and deep in those positions and after having a pretty strong draft and UDFA pickups we need to fill these positions of need..here is hoping we re-sign Byrd so all the talk of selecting Nix from Bama dies down...with the slots we need to fill why go after him..re sign Byrd, grab some rookie prospects and lets get it done in 2014

I guess that I disagree with Yolo & Armchair GM (2 poster that I usually do agree with) on Watkins. To me he is heads and shoulders the best playmaker in this draft. I highly doubt that he is there at 9 but anytime that you have a struggling offense and you have the chance to select the best playmaker you do it. It is so much harder to find dynamic weapons than it is to find a solid RT. Watkins is a guy that can score from anywhere on the field and is a much more complete receiver than he gets credit for. The Harvin comparison is probably fair but I think that he is a more polished route runner and maybe not quite as explosive with the ball in his hands. A full sized Desean Jackson or Victor Cruz may be better comparisons.

Actually, I agree with your opinion of him being the best playmaker in the draft...however, we have 3 guys with speed and good moves in the open field (Spillz, Grey Ham, and Goodwin) and they've yet to figure out how to use these guys. Admittedly, I'm a bit old school, so I firmly believe that the game is still won @ the LOS. Oh, and you used that dirty "dynamic" word!

Yeah, I think that TJ Graham is going to have a hard time making the team next year either way. They already added Barden and I expect them to add at least one more WR. My guess is that next year's receiving core will be (in no particular order): Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, Barden, new guy, Easley (and Brandon Kaufman on the ps). Obviously, a lot can change between now and the start of the season (like Kaufman beating out Barden) but the deck seems a little stacked against TJ IMO.

I'm also interested in seeing what Kevin Elliott is going to bring to the table. From what I remember, they were pretty stoked about this kid. I just hope he doesn't turn into another Easley...well, how a lot of us wanted to keep believing he was gonna get healthy and become a playmaker anyway.

Actually, I agree with your opinion of him being the best playmaker in the draft...however, we have 3 guys with speed and good moves in the open field (Spillz, Grey Ham, and Goodwin) and they've yet to figure out how to use these guys. Admittedly, I'm a bit old school, so I firmly believe that the game is still won @ the LOS. Oh, and you used that dirty "dynamic" word!

I'm also interested in seeing what Kevin Elliott is going to bring to the table. From what I remember, they were pretty stoked about this kid. I just hope he doesn't turn into another Easley...well, how a lot of us wanted to keep believing he was gonna get healthy and become a playmaker anyway.

He looked good last preseason before he got injured and had great size. I think he'll be battling it out with Barden and Kauffman for a spot on the 53. I am not sure Hogan will make the team this year, if they add a WR like Watkins or anyone in the top 2 or 3 rounds.

Buffalo Bills 2014 NFL offseason preview

With the 2013 season officially in the books the Eye on Football staff is looking ahead to the offseason for all 32 NFL teams. From now until March 6, we'll put each team under a microscope as the NFL heads into free agency. Up now: The Buffalo Bills. If you missed an offseason preview, you can catch up here.

Despite the fact that franchise hasn't been to the playoffs since 1999, there was a sense of optimism at the beginning of 2013. With a new coach in Doug Marrone, a new first-round pick at quarterback in EJ Manuel, and a new rookie linebacker in Kiko Alonso, there was the thought that Bufffalo could sneak into the top half of the AFC East and, assuming that the Jets and Dolphins were to have mediocre or worse seasons, could potentially be in play for the postseason.