Rotoworld article on top 4 WRs in this year's draft

This is an interesting article of how to analyze the statistics of these wide receivers and make a bit of a comparison. I'm not a metrics geek, but I liked how they broke down the receptions. Personally, I'd like the Bills to look at Evans, but I feel good that if they decide to go WR with their first pick, there will be a good one available.

http://www.rotoworld...op-4-wr-metrics

Edited by Beerball

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee's numbers were interesting, especially the drops. Evans' YAC were better than I thought.

Based on these numbers (if they were the only basis of evaluation), I'd rank them:

1. Evans

2. Watkins

3. Benjamin

4. Lee

Personally, I would love Watkins as a Bill.

I've been watching tape of both, and although Watkins is certainly faster than Evans, I think Evan's is more physical, and runs better routes. On quality of hands, I'd say both are a tie. My breakdown is as follows:

Hands - Tie

Speed - Watkins

Route running - Evans

Physicality - Evans

Blocking - Evans

Size Reach - Evans

So my question is, why is everyone projecting Watkins t go first? If Evans is there t 9 I say it's a no brainer we take him?

Thoughts?

Tim-

We need to draft Ebron the big and fast TE. He is a playmaker and a difference maker on this offense. Bringing in Evans would almost be an end for Stevie

Why? Stevie can be a very good slot receiver. Evans and Woods could be outside guys.

That said, I love Ebron and this team sorely needs a TE. But I think Evans is a huge reason Johnny Football won a Heisman. Still a litte raw though.

I dont think Evans is that great at running routes.

Most of his big plays were from downfield bombs in which Johnny Football had to scramble to give him time to get down field.

The Bills need a great receiving TE who will cause matchup problems, prevent defenses from stacking the box, and opens up the pass and run game a heck of a lot better.

I'm tired of having an "average" TE

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

I dont think Evans is that great at running routes.

Most of his big plays were from downfield bombs in which Johnny Football had to scramble to give him time to get down field.

CBF

Agreed. Biggest weakness in his game. It's only liek his 3 year playing football. That said, he dominated the SEC and they have the best defensive backs. They also have a very good record for producing good NFL wrs.

If Buffalo does not fix the O-line, E.J. will be decked or running for his life before Evans can run 20 yards.

Quit trying to make sense Cheddar; in yet another I fell down and bumped my head we need a wide receiver thread.

Why? Stevie can be a very good slot receiver. Evans and Woods could be outside guys.

That said, I love Ebron and this team sorely needs a TE. But I think Evans is a huge reason Johnny Football won a Heisman. Still a litte raw though.

IMO the #9 pick should not be used on someone who is still "raw"

CBF

On the route running I will admit it was difficult trying to get a good gauge as most of his catches were from Johnny football and that usually meant scramble. I know this is going o sound really weird, but Evans kind of seems more apt as a TE in the NFL.

On the route running I will admit it was difficult trying to get a good gauge as most of his catches were from Johnny football and that usually meant scramble. I know this is going o sound really weird, but Evans kind of seems more apt as a TE in the NFL.

I agree.

If Evans was a TE I would be praying that the Bills draft him

CBF

I've been watching tape of both, and although Watkins is certainly faster than Evans, I think Evan's is more physical, and runs better routes. On quality of hands, I'd say both are a tie. My breakdown is as follows:

Hands - Tie

Speed - Watkins

Route running - Evans

Physicality - Evans

Blocking - Evans

Size Reach - Evans

So my question is, why is everyone projecting Watkins t go first? If Evans is there t 9 I say it's a no brainer we take him?

Thoughts?

Tim-

I disagree. I have seen a lot of each and think that Watkins is certainly more explosive but also a better route runner. Evans does not create seperation and made a lot of plays based on broken plays by Johnny. Evans scares me a lot at 9 and I think is a guy that will drop as the process goes on. I thought that Evans really struggled late in the year. I really liked him earlier in the year but I like him less and less everyday. Watkins is in his own class IMO followed by Lee, Benjamin and Evans (depending on who you like best).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

IMO the #9 pick should not be used on someone who is still "raw"

CBF

Agreed. The pick needs to be safe. We get into trouble when we fall in love with these explosive, but raw, prospects.

By the way, I think Evans has played something like 3 years of organized football in his life-- seems like a risky pick.

Agreed. The pick needs to be safe. We get into trouble when we fall in love with these explosive, but raw, prospects.

By the way, I think Evans has played something like 3 years of organized football in his life-- seems like a risky pick.

Agree 100%

Let someone else take the risk.

CBF

Evans route running is nowhere near as good as watkins which makes me question how much you have actually watched of the two, how did you come to this conclusion? Did you watch a lot of their games, read draft previews or something else? Evans is as raw as they come and JFF would usually run around, chuck the ball up, and hope Evans came down with it.

If we go receiver I want Watkins. The guy flat out dominates. Every interview I've watched with him makes me want him to be in Buffalo. The dude is a class act and seems really focused on his craft. Evans is good but I don't think he'll be anything more than a redzone target. Yes, it's a dire need in Buffalo, but you don't take a situational player at 9.

Evans route running is nowhere near as good as watkins which makes me question how much you have actually watched of the two, how did you come to this conclusion? Did you watch a lot of their games, read draft previews or something else? Evans is as raw as they come and JFF would usually run around, chuck the ball up, and hope Evans came down with it.

This

If we go receiver I want Watkins. The guy flat out dominates. Every interview I've watched with him makes me want him to be in Buffalo. The dude is a class act and seems really focused on his craft. Evans is good but I don't think he'll be anything more than a redzone target. Yes, it's a dire need in Buffalo, but you don't take a situational player at 9.

I agree.

See James Hardy

CBF