Is it time to narrow the goal posts?

gjv001

If I start a thread in PPP devoted solely to you and showering you with attention will you stop polluting this thread with your views on you and how your IT experience relates to not only you but to field goals and you and football as well?

What? Insecure much? Do you have any idea how hilarious threatening me, with PPP is? :lol:

Yeah, I doubt you thought that one through. Hysterical.

This thread is about "solving" a "problem" that hasn't even been defined properly...see WEO's posts.

Yet, we are going to change the goal posts...on a whim, without even thinking about what else may happen as a result?

Don't like my experience with this? Fine.

We are ALL encountering the effect of this very behavior, or soon will be. Again, the example I refer to is right under your nose.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is it time to narrow them, but the goalposts need to be placed on sliding rails that move from left to right/right to left between the numbers. In addition, they need to be mechanized as to randomly raise and lower themselves as they conduct their side to side movement.

Setting it all to music would be the topper.

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed, narrow the goal posts. Kickers went 96-142 from beyond 50 yards, a completion rate of 67%. Only 3 of the top 40 kickers had less than a 50% completion rate from 50+. When 50+ yard field goals become a high percentage play, kicking is too easy. From 40-49, kickers were 82.5% on the season. May as well just award 3 points for crossing midfield.

I would be very interested in seeing the same stats from 10, 20 & even 30(or more) years ago. I'd be fairly certain that the numbers would be better in today's league.....if not greatly better.

Assuming this to be the case, I for one would be quite content to reduce the chances for teams to be able to score points from FGs.....thus elevating the importance of scoring TDs to somewhere closer to days of yore.

Not only is it time to narrow them, but the goalposts need to be placed on sliding rails that move from left to right/right to left between the numbers. In addition, they need to be mechanized as to randomly raise and lower themselves as they conduct their side to side movement.

GO BILLS!!!

:thumbsup:

GO BILLS!!!

Well, if we're going for bizarro miniature golf football to make extra points less boring, how about this:

After you score a TD, if you want to kick an extra point, the other team gets to designate anybody on your game day active roster as the guy who has to kick it.

Kind of like basketball free throws if the guy who gets fouled also gets too hurt on the play to stay in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

How about....

too many small minds on the forums. Basketball has outgrown the 10 foot rim, Hockey has outgrown the small NHL rink, and Football has outgrown the wide posts. Finally Goodell phucked up the game when he changed the distance on the kickoff. Is there anything less boring than starting a game with a kick that goes in the front row?

I'm for narrowing and taking a Rugby type approach for extra points. Whatever side you score from you kick from that hash. If you score between the hash marks you can line the ball up from there and kick. And move the hash marks out a bit. The extra point is the most boring play in all of sports.

I agree. I can't think of another sport that has such a non-competitive play. And the kick-off is becoming a close second.

-- Narrow the goal posts

-- Move the kick-off back 5 yards to where it was

-- and actually Bellichek had a good idea about extra points to make them more interesting. Take your pick; 2pt conversion from the 2yd line or kick extra point from the 20 yd line

Its not sport if a play is designed to be non-competitive...

GO BILLS!!!

Also, they should be charged 50 cents per kick..............

Why would you want your kicker to be worse at making FGs?

Teams are free to attermpt that 4th and 1 on the 33 now--and will succeed 67% of the time. But what if it's 4th and 8 on the 33? 4th and 7,6,5,4?

Even if the Goalposts were narrowed to decrease the FG success down to 50%, you would still kick a FG on anything more than 4th and 3 because beyond that, the success at getting a 1st down is below 50%.

Ask NO about the current risks of the kicking game.

Want to spice up 4th down? Get rid of punting.

Each of the three directions? What three directions are there?

The posts are only 18 feet apart, narrowing them by 3 yards would make them only 9 feet wide, which would render kicking for points nearly impossible.

Oops.....meant feet not yards. Bring it up three feet and in three feet on each side.

GO BILLS!!!

I was calculating the speeds that would make it most challenging . And realized that as OC mentioned , and rightly so. This would create an enormity of issues . Especially that Bill Bellicheck could get control of the motor control from space and manipulate it. Then start piping in Ground Control Major Tom during the attempt

end result. Still Bills fans are unhappy.

I wish the game went back to the most basic levels sometimes though .

i have dreamed of this often

yes . i too .

Its not just my kicker. Its everyone's kicker. I'd prefer to watch a game where a 40 yarder isn't a foregone conclusion.

What if it were 4th and 7 and you had to decide between going for a new set of downs or taking a risky kick? Sounds pretty !@#$ing exciting to me. Endless debate on strategy. You'd also see the play calling change as teams enter 4 down territory.

We wouldn't see so many games end with the offense running the clock out, content to kick a 45 yarder. Sounds good to me. I guess I don't share your affinity for the kicking game.

Foregone conclusion> The Saints would disagree. And I would only worry about my kicker--and when I need the points, I would rather not have it be essentially a coinflip.

What I'm trying to say is that if you are more than 20 yards away from the EZ on anything over 4th and 3, you are still going to kick the FG, even if you narrow the posts until the FG success rate is 50% (a drastic reduction). There would be not much debate. Teams are going to take the points right now over rolling the dice on another set of downs, where they still may not score (see Carolina) or, worse, turn the ball over.

So moving the posts a few feet closer together won't have the desired behavioral effect you are looking for. That would only happen if you made the success rate of a FG well below 50% from anything over 40 yards. How would you do that?

This whole question is odd. We now have QBs like Phil Rivers completing 70% of his passes. Is that too much? Is it too easy to pass? I asked somewhat kiddingly before if they should make the football heavier to de-emphasize the passing game. It's not more silly than narrowing the goalposts in my opinion.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I agree. I can't think of another sport that has such a non-competitive play. And the kick-off is becoming a close second.

-- Narrow the goal posts

-- Move the kick-off back 5 yards to where it was

-- and actually Bellichek had a good idea about extra points to make them more interesting. Take your pick; 2pt conversion from the 2yd line or kick extra point from the 20 yd line

Its not sport if a play is designed to be non-competitive...

Even the 20 yard line is almost automatic in the league now. But here's something to chew on. Sorry if someone already come up with it:

No field goals allowed within the 20 yard line. Once you're in the red zone you either score a TD or turn the ball over.

I would be very interested in seeing the same stats from 10, 20 & even 30(or more) years ago. I'd be fairly certain that the numbers would be better in today's league.....if not greatly better.

Assuming this to be the case, I for one would be quite content to reduce the chances for teams to be able to score points from FGs.....thus elevating the importance of scoring TDs to somewhere closer to days of yore.

Article from a couple years ago:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-kickers-dramatically-improved-over-the-years/

On kicks from 50+ yards

1960s: 13.1 percent

1970s: 21.6 percent

1980s: 35.6 percent

1990s: 47.8 percent

2000s: 53.0 percent

And this year, it's better still: 55.9 percent.

Cites everything from the obvious increased athleticism across the board, better training, better field conditions, etc....

Article from a couple years ago:

http://www.cbsnews.c...over-the-years/

On kicks from 50+ yards

Cites everything from the obvious increased athleticism across the board, better training, better field conditions, etc....

The odds of converting 4th and 2 is about 60%, yet teams still choose the points, despite a FG success rate less than that.

As I said above, you would have to make the success drastically lower for teams to forego a FG attempt on 4th and medium to long.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The odds of converting 4th and 2 is about 60%, yet teams still choose the points, despite a FG success rate less than that.

As I said above, you would have to make the success drastically lower for teams to forego a FG attempt on 4th and medium to long.

I don't even care - if they end up trying to coffin corner punt, cool. I just don't like the fg conversion rate in the high 80s and don't particularly care to see a 65 yarder. Were edging closer to crossing the 50 being points potentially.

I don't even care - if they end up trying to coffin corner punt, cool. I just don't like the fg conversion rate in the high 80s and don't particularly care to see a 65 yarder. Were edging closer to crossing the 50 being points potentially.

They're not going to change their choice NoSaint. They know the odds, whether we like it or not.

Again, we aren;t handicapping QBs, should we change the game against them too?