Is it time to narrow the goal posts?

gjv001

6 damn pages of this...whateverthehell this is?

I wonder what would happen if we devoted our efforts to real problems in the game, like the rules changes to prevent concussions-->increased career-ending leg injuries, and not invented ones?

Oh, wait: Did I just accidentally bring up yet another unintended consequence.....

.....caused by "experts" trying to "solve problems"?

Accidentally? :lol:

Perhaps we should go to PPP with this? Then? Yes, that's the place that makes unintended consquences disappear. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 damn pages of this...whateverthehell this is?

I wonder what would happen if we devoted our efforts to real problems in the game, like the rules changes to prevent concussions-->increased career-ending leg injuries, and not invented ones?

Oh, wait: Did I just accidentally bring up yet another unintended consequence.....

.....caused by "experts" trying to "solve problems"?

Accidentally? :lol:

Perhaps we should go to PPP with this? Then? Yes, that's the place that makes unintended consquences disappear. :lol:

Perhaps you could offer a theory as to the consequences of narrowing the goal posts rather than, whatever the !@#$ that was.

how about putting a top crossbar? that would add an element of difficulty (especially for shorter kicks), and also (should) alleviate the (potential) need for a replay on field goals (those instances where the kick is directly over the goal post...what is the rule here?). so you would have to kick the field goal through a box/rectangle. i would lower the goal posts in this scenario, but not necessarily decrease the width. so overall the target would be smaller.

just a thought.

Perhaps you could offer a theory as to the consequences of narrowing the goal posts rather than, whatever the !@#$ that was.

See, this is the problem. I'm not the one proposing the change, therefore, it's not on me to do the research, and planning, and account for the unintended consequences. That's the job of those people who formulate the plan.

This is about laziness. Lazy = unwilling to do all the work/testing necessary to think through what is gained/lost by making the change. You're essentially saying "we have to do it, so we can find out what's in...the results, that we get" :lol:. Again, we, as a nation, are all currently experiencing the effects of that lazy behavior, and an example is right under....your nose.

Personal experience reality you can't seem to handle: I do change for a living. It's the only thing I've ever done. Incremental change is always superior.

I'll throw you a bone: why not change the goalposts for some pre-season games? Then, measure the effect? See if there's any change in the so-called "problematic" behavior you are "solving", and also, see what happens that you didn't expect?

If nothing else? It gives the pre-season games a slightly increased appeal....because you don't know what's going to happen, and nobody else does either.

If all goes well, or if all goes poorly, you've had a working prototype actually get exposed to the real world, and now? You do know something.

Edited by OCinBuffalo