Disapointed with Marrone

I'm always curious what makes people say this?

I think it has to the perception that only teams that spend to the cap every year are actually in it to win it. That's the only explanation I have.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has to the perception that only teams that spend to the cap every year are actually in it to win it. That's the only explanation I have.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't understand that at all...

1) The Bills tried spending like crazy in the past--didn't work

2) All you have to do is look at the correlation (or complete lack thereof) between money spent and winning...tells you all you need to know.

It's been poor decision-making in the football department that's largely killed this team.

As always, some of the fans will hold the team accountable. But the hard core will continue to buy seasons and merchandise just as they have the last 14 years. They don't ever treat it as playoffs or bust.

The local media seems similar to me. They won't go any harder at Marrone than this year, even if there is a slow start. The national media will have Marrone on a "death watch" if there is no improvement this season, but playoffs or bust mentality from them I doubt.

Upper management, who knows. Their job, in my opinion, is to do what all good managers do. That is, create an environment where the people under them can thrive. Certainly they will be busy trying to boost ticket sales. As to anything else, we will see.

really, now. interesting.

the first question in the postseason press conference, which was asked by me, was to Russ Brandon in regards to how far he and the team need to go to transform the "tarnished" reputation Brandon had noted on the first day he took over as president.

do you suggest i should have instead asked "when's the next head coaching search going begin?"

puh-leeze.

and how can you fathom to guess what storylines and approaches the media will be taking next September in regards to Marrone given that we don't even know if the team will be off to a slow start.

funny, we can't win you folks.

during the 5-2 start, we in the media were being criticized by some on this board for being overly cynical in regards to the team, and being totally blindsided by how good they were. well, they weren't.

now, it's the other way around. you're suggesting what, we bring the pitchforks out already after one season. one?

once again, some Bills fans' impatience seems to get the better of them, as if Marrone's 6-10 finish is somehow a continuation of Dick Jauron's legacy.

but you're right, we took it easy on Marrone.

no one asked him about the Bills missing the playoffs for the 14th straight season.

absolutely no one questioned him about Crossman.

no one ever raised the possibility that EJ Manuel's season was a disappointment.

all of us in the media spent much of the afternoons at 1 Bills Drive sipping tea and playing candy crush, completely ignoring the team's record and its flaws, oblivious to reality.

yep. you got it.

jw

I can't understand that at all...

1) The Bills tried spending like crazy in the past--didn't work

2) All you have to do is look at the correlation (or complete lack thereof) between money spent and winning...tells you all you need to know.

It's been poor decision-making in the football department that's largely killed this team.

That makes two of us.

A series of poor decisions, unfortunately. But spending to the cap won't fix those.

GO BILLS!!!

once again, some Bills fans' impatience seems to get the better of them, as if Marrone's 6-10 finish is somehow a continuation of Dick Jauron's legacy.

We wish.

We'd be talking about a 7-9 team, then.

Mr. Wawrow,

Glad to see you here. We often wonder who reads these. I understand your frustration, but please remember that internet forums have no "entrance exams" to join. This is a mostly good group but like others, it's a mix of knowledgeable and level-headed fans with some self-medicated folks and everything in between. I understand Marrone has been a tough public interview. I would go crazy transcribing his ramblings. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Mike in FL

Edited by flmike

really, now. interesting.

the first question in the postseason press conference, which was asked by me, was to Russ Brandon in regards to how far he and the team need to go to transform the "tarnished" reputation Brandon had noted on the first day he took over as president.

do you suggest i should have instead asked "when's the next head coaching search going begin?"

puh-leeze.

and how can you fathom to guess what storylines and approaches the media will be taking next September in regards to Marrone given that we don't even know if the team will be off to a slow start.

funny, we can't win you folks.

during the 5-2 start, we in the media were being criticized by some on this board for being overly cynical in regards to the team, and being totally blindsided by how good they were. well, they weren't.

now, it's the other way around. you're suggesting what, we bring the pitchforks out already after one season. one?

but you're right, we took it easy on Marrone.

no one asked him about the Bills missing the playoffs for the 14th straight season.

absolutely no one questioned him about Crossman.

no one ever raised the possibility that EJ Manuel's season was a disappointment.

all of us in the media spent much of the afternoons at 1 Bills Drive sipping tea and playing candy crush, completely ignoring the team's record and its flaws, oblivious to reality.

yep. you got it.

jw

The question I was responding to, I believe, was if fans, media, and upper management would treat this season as "playoffs or bust". My response regarding local media was they would not be any harder on Marrone than they were this year. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe I needed to be more specific so ... I do not think the local media will treat this season as "playoffs or bust".

Edited by CodeMonkey

The question I was responding to, I believe, was if fans, media, and upper management would treat this season as "playoffs or bust". My response regarding local media was they would not be any harder on Marrone than they were this year. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe I needed to be more specific so ... I do not think the local media will treat this season as "playoffs or bust".

ah, got ya. i understand.

sorry, for the confusion on my end.

jw

So, I gotta ask...what constitutes the media treating this season as "playoffs or bust?" When people like Jerry Sullivan, Bucky Gleason or Mike Schopp are critical of the Bills or Sabres, they are branded as clueless a-holes...I mean people (not necessarily you) are practically frothing at the mouth with so much hatred for them...then, we turn around and crticize the media for not taking Bills brass to task, like their job is to publically shame them. Would people only be content if our teams coaches, players and managment were having daily blow-ups with the media? It would seem fans, backers (whatever you want to call them) and ownership are the ones who have the power here...fans can choose not to support the team if they are disgusted with the direction they are headed (or stuck) in...ownership can fire employees.

So, I gotta ask...what constitutes the media treating this season as "playoffs or bust?" When people like Jerry Sullivan, Bucky Gleason or Mike Schopp are critical of the Bills or Sabres, they are branded as clueless a-holes...I mean people (not necessarily you) are practically frothing at the mouth with so much hatred for them...then, we turn around and crticize the media for not taking Bills brass to task, like their job is to publically shame them. Would people only be content if our teams coaches, players and managment were having daily blow-ups with the media? It would seem fans, backers (whatever you want to call them) and ownership are the ones who have the power here...fans can choose not to support the team if they are disgusted with the direction they are headed (or stuck) in...ownership can fire employees.

No middle ground in your world?

No middle ground in your world?

Ha ha...I guess I am not sure what you mean. I will ask again, with no editorializing this time, what constitutes the media treating this season as "playoffs or bust?"

Edited by Buftex

So that's my question (not to you - just generally) - is the Bills' upper-management going to approach this offseason as though it's playoffs or bust next season? And will the media and fans hold them accountable if they don't?

Speaking for myself, I hope for playoffs next year, but I'll give Marrone until year 3 before I'll call for his head as long as there is noticeable progress. I can even see a scenario where I'd be willing to give him 4 yrs - like if we go 7-9 then 9-7 in yr 3 but miss the playoffs.

Of course if the wheels come off the bus & the team looks like raw **** next year I may lose my patience.

For me anyway local media over reacting to every mistake or loss and immediately calling for drastic action from upper management or the season is over would be "playoffs or bust".

Speaking for myself, I hope for playoffs next year, but I'll give Marrone until year 3 before I'll call for his head as long as there is noticeable progress. I can even see a scenario where I'd be willing to give him 4 yrs - like if we go 7-9 then 9-7 in yr 3 but miss the playoffs.

Of course if the wheels come off the bus & the team looks like raw **** next year I may lose my patience.

A 1.3/yr win improvement is good? This team was a few plays away from 10 wins this year. If they only win 7 next year, I would not see that as noticeable progress.

A 1.3/yr win improvement is good? This team was a few plays away from 10 wins this year. If they only win 7 next year, I would not see that as noticeable progress.

I didn't say I'd be happy about it. I basically said that was the minimal performance standard that would keep me from joining the proverbial lynch mob.

Edited by Rob's House

That is a mistake (in my opinion) that many make. You can just as easily say they were a few plays away from a 3 win season as well. It's the ability to make those few plays in a lot of cases that determines the season.

the top-to-bottom overhaul was organizational from top to bottom.

new president.

new gm

new personnel people.

new coach.

new coaching staff.

new quarterback.

right down to the kicker and punter.

to expect immediate success following this type of offseason is asking too much.

it wasn't just special teams.

it wasn't just the quarterback, though the inconsistency at that position played a larger role in the team's record than anything else.

it wasn't just coaching

it was a lot of things that come with a team with so many new moving parts.

ignore the changes that took place as much as you want. very few teams that undergo these types of overhauls with raw newcomers in so many spots have a chance to succeed.

these weren't the chiefs, where Andy Reid was a proven coach and brought in a proven quarterback and already had the foundation of a solid defense.

McCoy got the most out of the Chargers, though it helped to have a proven quarterback in Rivers.

Arians got even more out of the Cardinals, though it helped he had a veteran quarterback, an elite receiver and a solid defense. even then, that wasn't enough to get them in the playoffs.

by comparison:

what did Gus do in Jax? not much, given the number of changes there.

what did Chudz do in Cleveland? he got fired in part because of organizational ineptitude.

Trestman couldn't even get the Bears to the playoffs, because the team unraveled under injuries and too many changes on defense.

and then there was Marrone, who won some close ones, lost some close ones, but got a better grasp on figuring out what the core and identity of his team will resemble, and laid the groundwork for that core in moving forward.

the Bills played to expectations.

the expectations are higher next season.

jw

How many times can a title change for Russ be used as an excuse for losing? :lol:

I think we will have to agree to disagree on the depths of overhaul.

By the time I got to the point where you were downplaying Bruce Arians job in making the lowly Cardinals an 11-5 team in the fiercest division in football I became convinced that you are probably missing some very good paying opportunities in the public relations field. :thumbsup:

That is a mistake (in my opinion) that many make. You can just as easily say they were a few plays away from a 3 win season as well. It's the ability to make those few plays in a lot of cases that determines the season.

But that's the whole point. Teams that turn it around actually make those few plays per game that make the difference. We've been conditioned to gaining solace in the plays that coulda shoulda been, not the ones that were.

Mr. Wawrow,

it's a mix of knowledgeable and level-headed fans with some self-medicated folks and everything in between.

Mike in FL

Hey Mike, are you calling me out ?

I am a Bills fan.

I dont need an apology written for me to our beloved Mr J Wawrow . seriously .

Call me level headed one more time ! I dare you !

i might just get in my car and drive right down there someday from Rochester and hammer this out over some beers and conch fritters. mind my words Mike...