Would the Bills trade up to get Watkins?

I don't know if EJ is accurate enough to get the most out of a guy like Watkins. EJ needs a big tall security blanket with a huge catch radius...

Exactly. Get a more accurate QB and I'll consider Watkins. But a more accurate QB would have done well with the current Bills WRs, which would make a WR pick less of a priority.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy Watkins is putting on a WR clinic tonight against a solid Ohio State secondary. There's no way he makes it to #9.

I'd love to see him on the Bills, he's a true #1 WR and would be incredible opposite Woods. Think there's any chance the Bills would go and get him?

Hell, send Byrd to the Rams for their #2!

I was pushing for Sammy Watkins since the Bills season ended and the draft season began. The good news bad news is that while Watkins confirmed what I was seeing on youtube, he will now most probably go to the frikken Raiders who love drafting guys like him...LOL

Bills should not trade up because they will have a realistic shot at having a monster LB there be it Mack or Barr. Then go OG/WR or WR/OG with their 2nd and 3rd rd picks. This draft is deep, let the talent come to you.

Edited by 1billsfan

Exactly. Get a more accurate QB and I'll consider Watkins. But a more accurate QB would have done well with the current Bills WRs, which would make a WR pick less of a priority.

I do agree that EJ isn't accurate. I don't think that precludes you from stockpiling the talent though. If he is there (which I doubt) I think that he is certainly the best skill player. Take him and then whenever the Bills do finally find their QB he will be loaded with weapons.

I don't know if EJ is accurate enough to get the most out of a guy like Watkins. EJ needs a big tall security blanket with a huge catch radius...

You had me at "accurate enough". If #3 is not accurate enough, move on.

'No one worried about the Perry Tuttle curse?"

The Bills also drafted Jerry Butler out of Clemson with the #5 pick in the draft. He was really good before he got hurt. Watkins is a real stud, who can leap and run, we could do worse. Still think we may really benefit from a big red zone target.

Extremely impressed by Watkins last night. If Austin from WVU went #8 last year, we'd be lucky to get Watkins at #9, who seems like a much bigger and polished version of Austin. I'd be all for Watkins at #9, best TE available in 2nd, then move back up into the 2nd to get best available QB like Boyd.

I just don't think that Evans can get seperation at the next level.

In fairness that was a concern people had about Alshon Jeffrey as well.

What concerns me about Evans (and I've only seen one highlight package so far) is that he always seems to line up wide to the right side.

It seemed like he was always running the same 2-3 routes.

Get er dun

101 catches 1450 plus yards 12 tds

He did it to a lot of teams, wasn't a one game phenomenon.

Tougher version of Percy harvin. Like the Steve smith comparisons

He impressed me by putting head down and driving cb's back for 1st downs. Has no issue w contact. Tough strong cookie. Will make every catch Evans does for you size only guys.

In fairness that was a concern people had about Alshon Jeffrey as well.

What concerns me about Evans (and I've only seen one highlight package so far) is that he always seems to line up wide to the right side.

It seemed like he was always running the same 2-3 routes.

I think I heard he's new to football. Still learning, super raw.

2 years playing iirc. Rough around the edges but might dominate down road.

The Bills have enough small receivers, they need a big man who can go up and outreach the D.

Watkins is 6'1", 205 LBS., not exactly small. He could fall to #9 just like Tavon Austin fell to us at #8 last year. Someone may want to trade up to 9 and get him just like last year with Austin. Good for us. We make that trade and get more picks.

There's a chance Watkins is available at #9. There are probably 4 QB's taken in the top 8, so the highest rated 4 non Qb's are Clowney, Matthews, Barr and then Watkins. All it takes is for one team to make an off-the-wall pick.

Would Khalil Mack be the "off the wall" selection you speak of? Amazing how soon some have forgotten about him.

This is kind of the equivalent of not drafting the best linebacker in the nation because he doesn't weigh 260 pounds.

Smart personnel men only use size as a tie-breaker. It's never the first consideration.

Good morning San Jose. I see you're up early pumping your smaller is better theory.

Sammy Watkins is probably the most NFL ready WR in the draft.

But I think the Bills have more pressing needs, and I'd rather get a WR in free agency.

I believe Jordan Matthews is the most NFL ready receiver in the draft. His route running is equivalent to Robert Woods coming out of college. If he runs a good 40 at combine he will rise in draft.

We haven't had a receiver who demanded the ball and then produced since one season of TO before that it was Eric Moulds. It would be nice to see a gamer at WR. Watkins looks like he is made for the game and wants it. Also remember it took Moulds till his third year to finally get it.

Yes to drafting Watkins at 9. Yes to trading down if another team wants Watkins and will give up some extra picks. No to trading up for Watkins. Sammy Watkins >>>>>> mike evans. I'd rather draft a TE in the first, than draft evans.

The Bills have enough small receivers, they need a big man who can go up and outreach the D.

Sammy is NOT that small, and plays bigger than his size. He is great in jump balls and uses his body extremely well in traffic to gain spacing to make tough catches. He is not just fast and blows past ppl on WR's screen type plays.He is EXTREMELY shifty, and runs more like a WR than a pure speed WR like Patterson last yr. He is also capable of being a true #1 cuz hes great at the short game with screens and slants, very good at the intermediate routes for 10-15 yards in 3rd and 10 type situations and he is a phenominal deep threat.

He actually reminds me very much of Eric Moulds but with less power (which can be fixed cuz he has the frame to grow bigger and thicker but is much more of a threat in the short passing game. The way he breaks screens for 1st downs is crucial in this day and age in NFL. Guys like Antonio Brown, even bigger guys like D. Thomas, catch at least 1-2 screens EVERY game. !st half of yr we basically threw zero screens till they finally started using Freddy in that role and in last game we started using CJ a bit more in passing game.

We would be a GREAT addition, but at #9. Do not need to trade up. His stock will soar after the orange bowl but still will not be the "consensus #1 WR on ALL draft boards with guys like Evans out there. Also, with all the QB's out there, and a bunch of QB needy teams drafting ahead of us. I can see at 3+ QB going in top 10. Bortles bowl game will have his stock soar and he's that "hot QB" that shoots up draft boards which occurs every yr. No way Johnny Football doesnt go in top 10 no matter what the "experts" will do to critique every facade. The guy can just PLAY... All it takes is 1 team to fall in love with him and that will occur. That still leaves Teddy and he will surely be a top 10 pick and most likely the 1st QB off board. At worst, 2nd.

As some have pointed out, guys like Clowney is a lock for top 5, and kids like Matthews with his pedegree will surely be a top 10 selection as well.

So, there is a strong chance Sammy is there at 9. Whether we are sold on EJ or not, HE WILL BE OUT QB in season opener of 2014. Give the guy weapons on the outside. SJ13 is more suited to be a purely slot guy and #3 WR. Woods would be the perfect complement to a rookie and be together a great 1-2 punch. Taking either Sammy (who is best of bunch IMO) or Lee or Evans who are the top 3 and even Ebron who reminds me so much of Vernon Davis without all the drama that Davis had in his early career. If we got ANY of those 4 i'd be thrilled!

We MUST get a skill position player in 1st be it a WR or TE to go along with our RB tandem where hopefully OC uses a HEALTHY Spiller more and lets him be the lead back and use Freddy to spell him, not split series.

Hardy wasn't a 1st round pick. Mike Evans is 6'5" and talented. You can't teach size.

Evans has more boom or bust. SOOO many of this bigger, slower WR have trouble adjusting to pro game cuz level of DB's is just so much better. Even Jeffery looked bad in his rookie yr and Bears were not sold on him coming into yr. He has developed amazingly but there are alot more of the "big" WR that cant get past DB's deep in pro's like they did in college.

Sammy is better the his teammate from last yr, Hopkins and is much more physical. I'd take him and even Woods college teammate Lee over Evans.

Sammy Watkins is putting on a WR clinic tonight against a solid Ohio State secondary. There's no way he makes it to #9.

I'd love to see him on the Bills, he's a true #1 WR and would be incredible opposite Woods. Think there's any chance the Bills would go and get him?

Hell, send Byrd to the Rams for their #2!

You think Byrd gets the #2 pick? Even with the 9th pick that doesn't happen

Teams that trade down want picks not players especially ones that want huge contracts

I like Watkins but not enough to tradd up for especially when there is a chance he might be there at 9