Tajh Boyd

Estro

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was ALL-IN on Tajh as an NFL prospect coming out of last year. I was actually a bit surprised he didn't enter the 2013 draft. After another season, I have to admit, I have some more reservations about his game and how it'll translate in the NFL, but I'm still a believer. He'll have a lot of work as far as recognizing defenses and making better reads, much like EJ Manuel, but I think he's a much better pure passing QB than EJ. When you watch EJ it seems like you are watching a very manufactured passer, with an odd passing stroke and accuracy all over the place. Tajh Boyd, on the otherhand has a very tight compact throwing motion, and a great looking stroke. Very good accuracy, and a beautiful deep ball, that is usually right on the money. Sammy Watkins is a good receiver, and he owes a lot of his success to the beautiful deep ball that Boyd throws. It now appears Boyd will be available in the late 1st-2nd round area and I'd love for the Bills to grab him. I know they won't, but just wait and see, this kid will be a good NFL QB, and I have a bad feeling it'll be with the Jets. He's on tonight, and I look forward to watching his last college game, hopefully his next is in a Bill uniform.

Given all the non hype of last years QB class & what Fl state did with this years QB at the helm i think the proof is in the pudding when it comes to EJ .

I'm not saying he's not a good kid with great moral structure, work ethic & all that but i agree with all you say !! Taj boyd more than once has shown that when all looks lost he has what it takes to put the team on his back & carry them to a victory & that is the kind of guy we need !!

I hate the thought that the Bills will more than likely pass on this guy or a McCarron in the draft & put the future of the team on EJ's back b/c i wasn't all that impressed with what i saw this year given the weapons he had at his disposal . Sure he was a rookie i give him that but by the middle of the season he should be doing more than what he did !!

I just hope Whaley is the true football guy he seems to be & has brought some forward thinking to this franchise & doesn't as in the past sit on a last years economy model when the new Porsche is sitting there for the picking !!

And Boyd is my pick & i will go on record as saying that he will be an elite NFL QB !! With or with out being on the Bills ...

This Bills won't take him, or Murray, or Mettenberger or any other QB because they are too self conscience over EJ. By the mid point of next season they will realize that EJ doesn't have it and they will be kicking themselves for not taking one of them because one or two of them will already be emerging into a star and leading their team towards the playoffs. Then it will be 15 years in a row and we can reboot the QB/Coach search all over again, because when Marrone still hasn't realized that punting from the Pats 40 on 4 and 3 instead of going for it, just gives the Pats a longer TD drive and less time for us to respond, the fans will sour on him and Brandon will can him to create the illusion that the Bills know what they are doing.

This Bills won't take him, or Murray, or Mettenberger or any other QB because they are too self conscience over EJ. By the mid point of next season they will realize that EJ doesn't have it and they will be kicking themselves for not taking one of them because one or two of them will already be emerging into a star and leading their team towards the playoffs. Then it will be 15 years in a row and we can reboot the QB/Coach search all over again, because when Marrone still hasn't realized that punting from the Pats 40 on 4 and 3 instead of going for it, just gives the Pats a longer TD drive and less time for us to respond, the fans will sour on him and Brandon will can him to create the illusion that the Bills know what they are doing.

Wall of text, sup? Paragraphs are your friend, friend.

Every college qb is better than EJ! Duh!

I actually like Boyd but he could be Troy Smith for all we know. I just hope EJ can stay healthy and shut up all the people trying to run him out after one year.

I am watching the HS All-Star game right now and fully expect a thread to pop up about one of these QBs having more potential than EJ and we should draft him in 2018.

I count six. You reading this thing on a plasma TV?

That said, I'm a fan of line breaks. Writers gotta design for the eye.

No, but that's a good idea. Hang on and let me see if I can bring this site up on my Samsung.

I'm a fan of line breaks too, but come on, a five line paragraph (or six) is well within reason.

It's based on a lot more than just tonight, I've followed him closely for the last 2 seasons. He's a better QB than Manuel. I wished I believed more in Manuel, I'm a Bills fan, but my eyes don't lie. And I've never seen a QB with poor accuracy and poor pocket presence succeed in the NFL. EJ Manuel refuses to step up and keep his eyes downfield when faced with pressure in the pocket. His accuracy also was near the worst of all QB's this past season. Big red flags. Boyd is no sure lock to be a great QB, but I'd be more comfortable taking a chance with him than Manuel. He succeeds in the 2 most important QB qualities IMO, accuracy and pocket presence.

Look I want EJ Manuel to succeed just as bad as the rest of us. I'm just stating what my eyes saw this season. I'm not happy with a Carson Palmer or Jeff Garcia, FWIW. What did those 2 QB's accomplish in this league. I want a QB who can compete for championships. EJ might've beaten Boyd head to head last year, but that has no impact on my belief that Boyd is a much better QB than Manuel. His poclet presence and accuracy are both much, much better than Manuel.

FWIW pre ACL injury, Carson Palmer was considered a top 5 QB in the league. Not claiming EJ to have similar trajectory, but if we get pre-injury Palmer QB producion in the next 5-10 years, the Bills would be lucky.

Edited by Mango

Honestly not a fan of Murray. He doesn't exude leadership, in my opinion. Georgia seems to lose a lot of big games. I like Boyd. As for McCarron, any QB who is sacked 10 times all year can look good. We all saw how he handled being under pressure last night. Not a fan.

To be fair, Aaron Murray scored the would be winning TD against Auburn in the closing seconds of the game. If not for a flukey bomb that bounced out of the defenders hands and into the receiver's hands, GA wins that game and Auburn's watching the National Championship game from home.

FWIW pre ACL injury, Carson Palmer was considered a top 5 QB in the league. Not claiming EJ to have similar trajectory, but if we get pre-injury Palmer QB producion in the next 5-10 years, the Bills would be lucky.

I don't care what he was considered, he won 0 playoff games in that time. As a fan of the Bills I have a different expectation set then you, I wouldn't consider myself lucky to have a QB heading up my team that has 0 playoff wins in the next 5-10 year window. If your point is that EJ would be lucky to put up Palmer like #'s, I tend to agree with you as I don't believe EJ will be a good NFL QB. That's why I'm such a strong proponent of drafting another QB to compete with Manuel this upcoming season.

My post was in response to several of your posts, but particularly to you saying "Honestly, you could make a strong argument that the Bills took the guy with no future LAST year when they took a 4th round QB in round one out of need."

In the context of statistical facts, EJ had a very good rookie season. Particularly in view of having marginal receiving weapons, an offensive line which regressed, one running back who isn't explosive and another running back who is explosive and little else. Also EJ's injuries hurt his development.

And in spite of all this, he had a very good rookie season.

Here are all the QBs drafted in the first round since 2009:

Matthew Stafford 1st overall 2009

Mark Sanchez 5th overall 2009

Josh Freeman 17th overall 2009

Sam Bradford 1st overall 2010

Tim Tebow 25th overall 2010

Cam Newton 1st overall 2011

Jake Locker 8th overall 2011

Blaine Gabbert 10th overall 2011

Christian Ponder 12th overall 2011

Andrew Luck 1st overall 2012

Robert Griffin III 2nd overall 2012

Ryan Tannehill 8th overall 2012

Brandon Weeden 22nd overall 2012

It seems like people who criticize EJ are not being fair and objective.

I think the issue is that most of us would not be happy with the majority of guys on that list. You're actually making a very strong case for drafting another QB early. Other than Luck, Stafford, and I'll go so far as to say Newton after this year, who among them are unquestioned franchise QBs? You could even question Stafford b/c despite gaudy stats he hasn't been able to get a team stacked with talent over the hump. Sam Bradford is a big ?, Tannyhill looks promising but I don't think anyone's ready to annoint him the next big star. RG3 looked great as a rookie but since hurting his knee (sound familiar) he's a shell of his former self and may or may not ever regain that form. Locker's starting to show some promise but has trouble staying healthy. The rest of the guys on that list are disappointments at best.

To recap, there are only 2-3 guys on that list that fans can look at right now and definitively say we've got our guy. That being the case, it seems prudent to pluck a new guy from the pack and get him in the system rather than waiting 2-3 years to find out whether you got Newton or Ponder.

Keep acquiring talent at the QB position and eventually you'll find a keeper, much like Pete Carroll has done with the Seahawks. So you took a QB high last year, that means you can't take another one high this year? None sense. This team has not had a franchise signal caller in 15 years, and we're supposed to hand the keys over to EJ Manuel based on his potential. No way, I don't subscribe to that philosophy. It's that philosophy that has earned us 0 playoff appearances in a decade and a half. For all those who want to draft a LB or an OL or a big WR or a TE with our 1st or 2nd round pick, let me ask how many extra wins will that get us in 2014? 1 maybe? Maybe we become a 7-8 team. Because a good QB gets you and extra 4 wins right off the rip. I'm all for continually drafting signal callers high until you're certain you've got your guy. There's no way anyone can sit here and say that EJ showed enough to know he will succeed. Not saying he won't, but I'm not clinging all my hope on a guy who looked average at best.

The rookie wage scale makes it affordable to draft QB's, all the more reason to draft them early and often until you're certain you've got a good one.

SOOOOO TRUE! No reason to use a 1st on a QB cuz we did invest a 1st rounder in EJ. But a 3rd or even a 2nd (if someone head brass LOVED)... It's a GREAT decision to use a pick on another QB. Thad had some decent moments but is NOT a upper tier back up. Getting another young arm who slipped who comes in with a little chip on his shoulder who's been a starter for few yrs like a Mccarron or Murray (3rd round or worse) or a guy like Boyd or a Hundley type (who i'm not crazy about). Guy i LOVE is Carr. He is nothing like his bro. He can make all the throws and and in this day and age, especially with Marrone/ Hackett combo, we use more of a college system which would really suit a quick decision, strong armed QB like Carr.

Definitely think 1st round MUST be used on a game breaking WR like Wadkins. He is a much better version of Hopkins who went in late first last yr and was awesome as a freshman, shared spotlight with Hopkins last yr yet still posted very good yr and this past yr and in bowl game especially, he was BEST WR in NCAA. If not him or even Evans, i'd go Eric Embron who didnt put up numbers Amaro put up but is MUCH more of a "true" TE. Size and speed wise he's alot like Vernon Davis and is great in open field and can also stretch a D deep like Davis can. Those 2-3 guys should be our 1st round targets. Woods makes a great WR 1B but need another guy next to him. Stevie is much better suited as a 3rd WR and play mostly out of slot. He is only good at quick slants and some drag routes. Drops too many easy balls and is not a deep threat in slightest bit.

This would leave us with those 3 as our top 3 and Goodwin come in as 4th WR and even TJ would serve well in a role like Robert Meachem has with Saints. Pretty much STRICTLY as a deep threat or decoy and runs go routes nearly every play to take his defender out of the play completely to leave room for rest of guys in middle of field.

I think the issue is that most of us would not be happy with the majority of guys on that list. You're actually making a very strong case for drafting another QB early. Other than Luck, Stafford, and I'll go so far as to say Newton after this year, who among them are unquestioned franchise QBs? You could even question Stafford b/c despite gaudy stats he hasn't been able to get a team stacked with talent over the hump. Sam Bradford is a big ?, Tannyhill looks promising but I don't think anyone's ready to annoint him the next big star. RG3 looked great as a rookie but since hurting his knee (sound familiar) he's a shell of his former self and may or may not ever regain that form. Locker's starting to show some promise but has trouble staying healthy. The rest of the guys on that list are disappointments at best.

To recap, there are only 2-3 guys on that list that fans can look at right now and definitively say we've got our guy. That being the case, it seems prudent to pluck a new guy from the pack and get him in the system rather than waiting 2-3 years to find out whether you got Newton or Ponder.

While I'm a believer in EJ, there's no guarantee he'll become a premier QB, especially if he can't shake the injury bug.

Therefore as I've posted before I'm not against drafting another QB.

Rookie QBs typically play poorly and it's hard to tell what you have for 2-3 seasons.

I think it would be unconventional but justifiable to double-down on the position.

I don't care what he was considered, he won 0 playoff games in that time. As a fan of the Bills I have a different expectation set then you, I wouldn't consider myself lucky to have a QB heading up my team that has 0 playoff wins in the next 5-10 year window. If your point is that EJ would be lucky to put up Palmer like #'s, I tend to agree with you as I don't believe EJ will be a good NFL QB. That's why I'm such a strong proponent of drafting another QB to compete with Manuel this upcoming season.

Dude, your'e arguing for arguments sake. he led the Bengals to their first winning season in 15 years! Fine pre-injury he hadn't won a playoff game, but put the Bengals on the map in terms of recent relativity. He also only threw one pass in the playoffs, only to be injured and then in turn create the Palmer rule. he had an average QBR over 100. Your argument holds little to no validity, and you hide behind the guise of raise standards