Levitre

It makes it even funnier now that you are trying to deny it. :lol:

Go to the epic Nelson untendered thread, post 268 if I recall. That was where you entered to explain to us the logic behind not tendering Nelson. I was reading thru it last week deciding whether to bump it and in the process re-read your take. I gotta' say, in a thread full of wrong people and bad takes......your late addition was somehow the belated thread winner for the sheer out-of-touch nature of your feeling about the Bills direction. The Bills signed NONE of those guys to long term deals. Not tendering Nelson left the Bills with Stevie in the slot.....their ill-fated plan from the outset......where as you mentioned.......he had a lousy season. Maybe in part because he really didn't want to go from being the gently handled star WIDE receiver to being the battered posession slot man. Looked good to Buddy and Doug on paper though. :thumbsup:

Your argument regarding Lawson/Hughes is the same alright.......you don't really have one. I guess I will have to speculate that you think there are 14 everydown players on defense. Whether you agree with my assessment that those two are essentially the same position.......they aren't every down players. The Bills everydown players.......in the front 7, like Kiko, Mario, Kyle and Dareus.....when he isn't suspended......play between 80-100% of the snaps. Hughes and Lawson play 50-60% of the snaps each.......and really don't spend much time on the field together because they are essentially platoon players. It would be one thing to argue because they are two different positions.......like an ILB coming off the field for a nickel back......but Hughes literally played Lawson's snaps when Lawson was out with injury. Can't be any clearer than that.

Seriously, if you have it on hand, link to it. Because I don't recall this at all.

Otherwise: you spend your time reading 10 month old threads? Nice life, bro. :lol:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem was more of not extending Levitre at about 2.5 years to at the latest at the end of the third year. We should have been able to sign him for $4 mil. He is worth that money and we paid for it. When you have a very durable guard like him not missing games for 2.5-3 years.

I love how we resigned Wood a year early and gave him a decent contract, but not breaking the bank. Mow if we could get Byrd happy with top 5 money, but not top safety money and sweeten t.he deal with a nice amt guaranteed.

Even after the struggles at LG, I do not believe letting Levitre walk at that ridiculous price was a mistake. The Bills did place to much faith in the players they had for that position, but it doe not mean letting Levitre was a mistake. Far from it. People need to move on from the late, "great" Levitre.

Here, here.

The problem was more of not extending Levitre at about 2.5 years to at the latest at the end of the third year. We should have been able to sign him for $4 mil. He is worth that money and we paid for it. When you have a very durable guard like him not missing games for 2.5-3 years.

I love how we resigned Wood a year early and gave him a decent contract, but not breaking the bank. Mow if we could get Byrd happy with top 5 money, but not top safety money and sweeten t.he deal with a nice amt guaranteed.

The sticking point with Byrd is that they've already made him unhappy. Besides "top 5 money" goes upwards every season.

I don't care what anyone says, we could have easily afforded to keep Levitre, and yes he was worth the money he was asking, and not having him on our offensive line this year did indeed negatively impact our offensive line primarily our running game.

There, I said it.

The sticking point with Byrd is that they've already made him unhappy. Besides "top 5 money" goes upwards every season.

Yep if they just would have signed him last season the contract would be ok now and a bargain in the later years. Bills went on the cheap and it hurt us. We will be lucky if we don't reach a 20 year playoff draught.

This is what 14 years of losing does. Fans becoming professional apologists for our team's lousy decisions over personnel.

Great point. Smart teams pay guards who haven't made one pro bowl $8 million a year. Genius. And they draft a G in the top 10 & look at how awesome Chris Johnson & the Titans were this year!!!

Andy Levitre = Derrick Dockery

Great point. Smart teams pay guards who haven't made one pro bowl $8 million a year. Genius. And they draft a G in the top 10 & look at how awesome Chris Johnson & the Titans were this year!!!

He could be a bit better than Dockery, but that does put it into relief, a bit.

The smartest teams draft interior linemen every year and have really good people teaching them.

The smartest teams draft interior linemen every year and have really good people teaching them.

Agree 100%. But that's why this whole Levitre love is hilarious. Dockery was a solid G who the bills way overpaid. That's what the Titans did with Levitre. And their coach was an olinemen. Now he's fired & Chris Johnson had the worst season if his career.

There are several Levitre's in this draft and they don't cost $8 million. Gs are still one of the most replaceable pieces on a team.

There's a thought .

How about we focus on that for a minute

You'd have to be a real fool to believe that Levitre = Dockery. Genius

It's a bit of hyperbole to be sure, but the primary point stands.

Here is what I know, that the YPC behind Levitre his last two years he was here in Buffalo was the highest in the league. And that he rarely gave up a sack, and that he never missed a game. In regards to not making the pro bowl, if this team had been in the playoffs or was more respected on the offensive side of the ball, he'd a been there. However, considering the last point I made is not provable, it's basically a moot point, but the numbers I provided, do not lie.

Also, in regards to paying Guards lower figures, that formula is changing, Guards are getting compensated more so in % increases relative to other players over the past few years, and I believe that's because there are teams that are valuing that position more so than they use to.

And the point that was made earlier regarding what TN has been unable to accomplish, implying that it was Levitre's fault, is absurdly vapid. As if one man on that team is responsible for the fate of that team's production. We know that here in Buffalo, he was our best O Linemen and we consistently over the past two years were able to run the ball. We suffered this year with our interior line and to suggest that Levitre wouldn't have helped this team out much in that department is silly.

Edited by Magox

It's a bit of hyperbole to be sure, but the primary point stands.

Is it though? Our first season without Dockery, we set a franchise record for fewest sacks allowed. He was a solid but not special G we gave a lot of money to. Washington fans laughed at us.

The Titans gave AL big time money when the majority of fans didn't know who he was. Has he ever been close to making an all pro team or pro bowl? He has never been a dominant blocker & his best quality is he's athletic.

Some fans can't look long term. Sign Levitre, you could lose Glenn or Wood. Each are way more important than a LG. Draft a young hungry LG and hopefully we stop talking about an non pro bowl player so much.

There is a always a thought on this board that xx is too expensive and we should save the money for yy player next year. Yet, we go year after year under the cap and shooting ourselves in the foot by being in an endless circle of creating and filling holes.

Numerous examples exist of the Bills allowing solid pros to depart and drafting their replacements high. Heck, at MLB/ILB in the past 8 seasons, they allowed Fletcher to leave as a free agent and replaced him with 2nd round pick Posluszny, who left in free agency. They then take Sheppard in the third round in 2011, trade him when he wasn't good, and then drafted Alonso in the 2nd last year.

It's a revolving door, and we haven't even discussed the RB and DB positions yet. If the Bills can't come to terms with Byrd, and they may well have poisoned that well, then what does that say about the Bills commitment to winning?

Is it though? Our first season without Dockery, we set a franchise record for fewest sacks allowed. He was a solid but not special G we gave a lot of money to. Washington fans laughed at us.

The Titans gave AL big time money when the majority of fans didn't know who he was. Has he ever been close to making an all pro team or pro bowl? He has never been a dominant blocker & his best quality is he's athletic.

Some fans can't look long term. Sign Levitre, you could lose Glenn or Wood. Each are way more important than a LG. Draft a young hungry LG and hopefully we stop talking about an non pro bowl player so much.

I agree. It would have been a huge mistake to give our 3rd best offensive lineman the kind of money Levitre got from the Titans. Given his talent level, something just south of Eric Wood money would have been more than generous and left us in a great position to re-up Glenn for the big money he will soon command, as well as to add additional upgrades at RT and RG eventually.

GO BILLS!!!