Levitre

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the Bills asked him to take a pay cut and that Fitz refused.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

I was a bit surprised how much he sucked actually.

I remember Brown filled in at center for the last two weeks of 2011 after Eric Wood got injured and the reviews were that he played well.

Correct...any other recollection is revisionist IMO.

Probably anyone besides Byrd and Levitre? Whitner? When you don't have much of quality entering the free agent market, you don't want to lose the few pieces that are actually good.

McKelvin re-signed so quickly that we weren't able to hash it out over his value, but he signed a team-friendly deal. Guys like Wood and Williams did the same. They're good team players, we like them. Guys who try to get what the market will bear are bad guys and we should hate them, unless they re-sign and then they are good guys again.

Look, OBD has said that you need to keep your own. The people you support believe this. Just because they can't come to terms doesn't mean they don't believe it.

I don't think Levitre was worth what he got, and that's fine. If they were prepared to let him go, though, that does mean they should have had a better backup plan.

No one on earth is saying throw $9MM a year at everyone -- just, maybe, two players. So can we cut it with the straw man arguments? This ain't the first time.

The only part of that I disagree with is the backup plan. They did think that Brown would be ok at LG. Turns out they were wrong.

I'd also point out that Wood's deal isn't a hometown discount deal; he's the 4th highest paid center in the league once the deal kicks in. That's not to say it's a bad thing though...great player IMO

Edited by thebandit27

Correct...any other recollection is revisionist IMO.

The only part of that I disagree with is the backup plan. They did think that Brown would be ok at LG. Turns out they were wrong.

I'd also point out that Wood's deal isn't a hometown discount deal; he's the 4th highest paid center in the league once the deal kicks in. That's not to say it's a bad thing though...great player IMO

Fair 'nuff. I think a real backup plan would have been to get somebody with > 1 year starting in the league before June came around (Legursky signed June 5, and was coming off injury IIRC - maybe I don't!).

I also feel like it's possible - not necessarily probable - that Wood could net top 3 center money in FA, but that's splitting hairs. You're pretty much right.

Also, note that few here think that Kelsay was worth what the Bills gave to him, or Langston Walker, or Dockery, for example. This trojan horse that we Bills fans always want to see players get max money is just that. It's an entrance to an argument that isn't being had.

What is your argument?

That's what I thought.

BTW, when you are bashing Levitre try to remember that you told us all that you thought that the Bills were going to sign Levitre, Byrd and Dwayne Bowe to long term contracts and that is why they weren't going to waste $1.35M tender on David Nelson. Has anyone ever been that wrong on a take? :lol:

Dwanye Bowe!? If you're going to talk that kind of trash you better link up, fella.

My argument is the same as it has been: you count players twice to make your point then turn around and count two humans as one player. Explain away all you like, it's quite entertaining.

marrone suggests he is happy with the G depth on the roster. Still you would think it wise for the Bills to look at FA's or to take someone in mid rounds of the draft.

I recall reading something to this effect. I looked for the article and couldn't find it.

If true, I can only think its going to be another tough two years, especially for the young QB's.

Releasing levitre was not done because of health concerns. He passed a thorough physical with the titans.

The correct play was to tag Levitre and sign Byrd. Ralph had the money to do both. Easily.

Having Andy back between Cordy and Eric would have helped EJ and Spiller significantly this year.

Say what you want about Levitre, we missed the guy badly this season. Im shocked at the number of posters here that won't admit this.

It's worth mentioning here the draft status of the 5 guards who were named All Pro:

Of the two guards that were first team All Pro, Louis Vaszquez and Evan Mathis were 3rd rounders.

Of the 2nd team All Pros, Josh Sitton and Jahri Evans were 4th rounders.

Logan Mankins was a first rounder.

FWIW.

Maybe it is time to remind ourselves that Vasquez was a FA in the market last year and signed a 4 year $23.5 million contract last year - considerably less than what Levitre commanded. If the Bills thought that Levitre was expensive, why on earth did they not sign Vasquez ???? This is one aspect that drives me insane. There is a always a thought on this board that xx is too expensive and we should save the money for yy player next year. Yet, we go year after year under the cap and shooting ourselves in the foot by being in an endless circle of creating and filling holes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150082/article/louis-vasquez-denver-broncos-agree-to-fouryear-deal

Maybe it is time to remind ourselves that Vasquez was a FA in the market last year and signed a 4 year $23.5 million contract last year - considerably less than what Levitre commanded. If the Bills thought that Levitre was expensive, why on earth did they not sign Vasquez ???? This is one aspect that drives me insane. There is a always a thought on this board that xx is too expensive and we should save the money for yy player next year. Yet, we go year after year under the cap and shooting ourselves in the foot by being in an endless circle of creating and filling holes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150082/article/louis-vasquez-denver-broncos-agree-to-fouryear-deal

Who knows exactly who the Bills contacted? Truth is nobody knows. If a player doesn't want to come here you cannot sign him. Who says that was not the case with any of these free agents last year?

Edited by H2o

Releasing levitre was not done because of health concerns. He passed a thorough physical with the titans.

The correct play was to tag Levitre and sign Byrd. Ralph had the money to do both. Easily.

Having Andy back between Cordy and Eric would have helped EJ and Spiller significantly this year.

Say what you want about Levitre, we missed the guy badly this season. Im shocked at the number of posters here that won't admit this.

Missing the guy and thinking that the team should've given him $8M/year are two very, very different concepts.

Who knows exactly who the Bills contacted? Truth is nobody knows. If a player doesn't want to come here you cannot sign him. Who says that was not the case with any of these free agents last year?

True , but I for one am not giving the FO a free pass with a hypothesis that a good FA we needed didnt want to come here. Thats equivalent to saying that poor teams will never get better through free agency. I just dont buy it.

Jason Peters? Chad Rheinstein?

When I said "we" I meant the TBD posters. Are you telling me no one wanted to pay Jason Peters here? Maybe Whitner was disliked enough for fans not to want him back but I can't recall another player that us posters were not heavily in favor of resigning.

When I said "we" I meant the TBD posters. Are you telling me no one wanted to pay Jason Peters here? Maybe Whitner was disliked enough for fans not to want him back but I can't recall another player that us posters were not heavily in favor of resigning.

Well, there are lots of differences of opinion on just about everything. Many posters will applaud and even defend with strident insistence the notion of "saving money" when players leave.

Dwanye Bowe!? If you're going to talk that kind of trash you better link up, fella.

My argument is the same as it has been: you count players twice to make your point then turn around and count two humans as one player. Explain away all you like, it's quite entertaining.

It makes it even funnier now that you are trying to deny it. :lol:

Go to the epic Nelson untendered thread, post 268 if I recall. That was where you entered to explain to us the logic behind not tendering Nelson. I was reading thru it last week deciding whether to bump it and in the process re-read your take. I gotta' say, in a thread full of wrong people and bad takes......your late addition was somehow the belated thread winner for the sheer out-of-touch nature of your feeling about the Bills direction. The Bills signed NONE of those guys to long term deals. Not tendering Nelson left the Bills with Stevie in the slot.....their ill-fated plan from the outset......where as you mentioned.......he had a lousy season. Maybe in part because he really didn't want to go from being the gently handled star WIDE receiver to being the battered posession slot man. Looked good to Buddy and Doug on paper though. :thumbsup:

Your argument regarding Lawson/Hughes is the same alright.......you don't really have one. I guess I will have to speculate that you think there are 14 everydown players on defense. Whether you agree with my assessment that those two are essentially the same position.......they aren't every down players. The Bills everydown players.......in the front 7, like Kiko, Mario, Kyle and Dareus.....when he isn't suspended......play between 80-100% of the snaps. Hughes and Lawson play 50-60% of the snaps each.......and really don't spend much time on the field together because they are essentially platoon players. It would be one thing to argue because they are two different positions.......like an ILB coming off the field for a nickel back......but Hughes literally played Lawson's snaps when Lawson was out with injury. Can't be any clearer than that.

Why didn't they get someone serviceable to replace levitre? Because coach marrone, with his endless expertise coaching o line, thinks that he can coach up any tom dick or Harry to play line.

I don't think that's the case; I think that they simply misjudged the talent on the roster.

As was pointed out up thread, Colin Brown played well in his spot duty previously; it's not hard to see why the staff might've felt he could play.

They got it wrong...happens sometimes.

http://www.nfl.com/n...o-fouryear-deal

For whatever reason the Buffalo Bills have a recent storied 20 year history of thinking they can get by with mediocre, average, and sub par players on the O line.

Since 1994 the Bills have drafted 172 players, and out of all those draft picks only 5 O linemen have been drafted in the first two rounds. Three of those have been recent in the last 5 years, Glenn, Wood, Levitre and the latter is already with another team.

I can only surmise that the one singular common denominator over the last 20 years is the man at the top of the ladder. Yet I don't understand this change in the franchise thinking because in the previous 20 year history they had great O lines for the AFL championship teams. The Electric Co for OJ, and the Kelly years had some top talent on the line.