NFL reviewing Manning's yards record

SBUffalo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do. But they only closely review if there is something brought to their attention or they notice it themselves. There is no doubt that there are quite a few misses since they don't appear to be anything out of the ordinary as games happen.

The fact of the matter is that the NFL is going to screw him out of the record. If the refs hadn't blown the call then he would've stayed in and got the record

How is it a gaffe? In every single persons' mind he had the record. No reason to get a record you already have.

Except everyone knows that stats are subject to review and not final during the game. Being up by 1 yard left him vulnerable to a number of corrections

I'm not losing sleep but it's a record that will be a little tarnished until someone else breaks it.

I recall Miami lobbying and got Mercury Morris a thousand yard season in 1972 when he fell a few yards short. I a not surprised the NFL reviewed and awarded Manning those yards.

Edited by Nitro

I think it's a fair outcome, especially considering he sat the entire second half. Had the league taken those yards off his totals and allowed Brees' record to stand, Brees' record would be the one more tarnished as a result. I think John Fox would have found a way for Manning to find those seven yards if he thought they were needed with three quarters left in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Except everyone knows that stats are subject to review and not final during the game. Being up by 1 yard left him vulnerable to a number of corrections

I'm not losing sleep but it's a record that will be a little tarnished until someone else breaks it.

It would've been ten times as tarnished had they taken it away. Nobody is thinking in the heat of a game "hey, there's a chance the NFL takes away yards because the stat keepers are too incompetent to make the right call so let's go and risk injury for a little bit more." This is Manning's record, no asterisk.

I'm sure that there are a handful of laterals that were missed during Brees' season, as well. Especially when thinking about the way they use screens and Sproles in that offense.

Edited by DStebb716

I think it's a fair outcome, especially considering he sat the entire second half. Had the league taken those yards off his totals and allowed Brees' record to stand, Brees' record would be the one more tarnished as a result. I think John Fox would have found a way for Manning to find those seven yards if he thought they were needed with three quarters left in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

That makes no sense. Brees actually earned that record, no review necessary. Manning certainly could have gained enough yards to break the record, had he not sat the second half--but he sat and got no more yards.

No need to "allow Brees's record to stand" because it was never in dispute.

It would've been ten times as tarnished had they taken it away. Nobody is thinking in the heat of a game "hey, there's a chance the NFL takes away yards because the stat keepers are too incompetent to make the right call so let's go and risk injury for a little bit more." This is Manning's record, no asterisk.

I'm sure that there are a handful of laterals that were missed during Brees' season, as well. Especially when thinking about the way they use screens and Sproles in that offense.

Fans called both the lateral, and the fact that beating it by a yard being risky Sunday during the game. When your benching your starters it's not quite the intense heat of the moment thing.

Either outcome is a bit unfortunate. Manning surely would've gotten 7 more yards.... but he didnt. While they got the spirit of it right, they did not get the letter of the rule right. Ultimately, the record books matter little, so as I said I won't be losing sleep. Both great years regardless of plus or minus 5 yards for either guy. Just being in that stratosphere is amazing for each.... Was just saying when you open that door to going with the spirit of it all, it gets sketchy- what if it was the last possession of the game and manning didnt have a half to break it? Or the real killer - what would you say if it was Brady beating a Kelly yardage record? What if it changed the outcome of your fantasy championship and cost you money? Generally I'd say in recording stats, simply err on the side of the rulebook and not in the direction of writing the best story or making people feel good.

That makes no sense. Brees actually earned that record, no review necessary. Manning certainly could have gained enough yards to break the record, had he not sat the second half--but he sat and got no more yards.

No need to "allow Brees's record to stand" because it was never in dispute.

It makes perfect sense. Sorry it's lost on you.

Manning actually "earned" the record as well. It's not his fault the statisticians at the game didn't credit those yards correctly and necessitated the review. And it's not Brees' fault that anyone with half a brain would realize that Manning set the record with a half game to spare.

GO BILLS!!!

It makes perfect sense. Sorry it's lost on you.

Manning actually "earned" the record as well. It's not his fault the statisticians at the game didn't credit those yards correctly and necessitated the review. And it's not Brees' fault that anyone with half a brain would realize that Manning set the record with a half game to spare.

GO BILLS!!!

If the NFL decided on review that it was a lateral, then they would have been justified in taking away the yards. If that was the case, Brees's record would not be tainted.

Alos, people with at least half a brain thought it was a lateral, hence the review.

If the NFL decided on review that it was a lateral, then they would have been justified in taking away the yards. If that was the case, Brees's record would not be tainted.

Alos, people with at least half a brain thought it was a lateral, hence the review.

Why did the NFL make the decision they did?

Brees' record would be tainted because Manning only lost those yards in RETROSPECT and all the half-brains know that he easily would have gotten another 7 yards over the course of a half. It's the RETROSPECTIVE nature of losing the record and knowing that was the ONLY WAY Brees keeps it.

GO BILLS!!!

Why did the NFL make the decision they did?

Brees' record would be tainted because Manning only lost those yards in RETROSPECT and all the half-brains know that he easily would have gotten another 7 yards over the course of a half. It's the RETROSPECTIVE nature of losing the record and knowing that was the ONLY WAY Brees keeps it.

GO BILLS!!!

Let me get this straight...are you really saying that if the NFL officially decided it was actually a lateral after all (obviously a review is "in retrospect") and thus Manning didn't, in fact, get the record---that Brees's undisputed yards record would be tainted because Manning could have come back in to throw for more yards?

Let me get this straight...are you really saying that if the NFL officially decided it was actually a lateral after all (obviously a review is "in retrospect") and thus Manning didn't, in fact, get the record---that Brees's undisputed yards record would be tainted because Manning could have come back in to throw for more yards?

Yes. Because that's the ONLY reason why the new record wouldn't have been established; because Manning, his coaches, the official stat keepers at the game, the league, AT THE TIME, thought he already established the new record.

Let me get this straight, are you saying that if Manning had played the second half, he wouldn't have set the record anyway?

To suggest Manning doesn't deserve it due to a technicality seems a bit shallow.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes. Because that's the ONLY reason why the new record wouldn't have been established; because Manning, his coaches, the official stat keepers at the game, the league, AT THE TIME, thought he already established the new record.

Let me get this straight, are you saying that if Manning had played the second half, he wouldn't have set the record anyway?

To suggest Manning doesn't deserve it due to a technicality seems a bit shallow.

GO BILLS!!!

When the technicality is that he got the passing yards record on what should've been credited a rushing play it's a bit tough to call a technicality.

K9, obviously he had a great, 99.9% chance of getting it in the second half if he played... But what if this was the last Denver drive of the game, would you argue just give it to him then?

When the technicality is that he got the passing yards record on what should've been credited a rushing play it's a bit tough to call a technicality.

K9, obviously he had a great, 99.9% chance of getting it in the second half if he played... But what if this was the last Denver drive of the game, would you argue just give it to him then?

No, and I doubt the league would, either.

GO BILLS!!!

No, and I doubt the league would, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Well I guess the next logical question is.... What if he got hurt on the first play of the next drive?

Although I'd never begin to say its likely, it's also hard to say there's no way that'd happen, or obviously he'd have been on the field.

These are the issues with ignoring rules in order to award records. He came out with not just a single completion putting him ahead but a single yard. If a tiny stat correction to make a 6 yarder a 5 yarder came through he'd have lost sole possession. It was a risk they knew they were taking pulling him there. Worst case ended up happening and the nfl decided to say "don't worry we got you covered."

Well I guess the next logical question is.... What if he got hurt on the first play of the next drive?

Although I'd never begin to say its likely, it's also hard to say there's no way that'd happen, or obviously he'd have been on the field.

These are the issues with ignoring rules in order to award records. He came out with not just a single completion putting him ahead but a single yard. If a tiny stat correction to make a 6 yarder a 5 yarder came through he'd have lost sole possession. It was a risk they knew they were taking pulling him there. Worst case ended up happening and the nfl decided to say "don't worry we got you covered."

If Manning were injured on the very play in question and had to sit out the rest of the game as a result, again, I wouldn't argue against taking the 7 yards off his total. And I don't think the NFL would have either. The future opportunity would not have been possible at that point and any argument to be made that Manning "would have gotten it" had the statisticians gotten it right in the first place, wouldn't be valid.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, that does make no sense. Of course he would have gotten it outright if he played the whole game. I've said that, but of course it doesn't matter what might have happened. But if the league ruled it a lateral, you don't "just give it to him"---it's fake.