2013 Special Team Rankings - updated yesterday from FootBall OUTSIDERS

San-O

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly or not, however it looks like the Bills Special Teams ranked # 9 overall in 2012, and

dropped to # 30 overall in 2013.

That's incredible, and certainly not the fault of the players completely.

From # 9 to # 30? That's over 20 spots.

I would like Marrone to address this as he has been talking about accountability all year. Bad hire.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

I'm reading it the same way. Seems to validate what we've all seen.

Crossman's status going forward will be a good test of Marrone's commitment to accountability. Does it apply to players only, or are coach-friends exempt?

Exactly. Many on this board felt is was a bad hire from the beginning given Crossman's poor performance in Det. I believe. Yet Marrone

was allowed to hire him anyhow.

I would like to understand from someone also why a rookie head coach is allowed to hire personal friends anyway? Who signed off on that?

A one year drop for # 9 to almost worst in the entire league is ridiculous. I went back and reviewed, and no team in the NFL had that much of a drop

in this one year period.

If we can see this about ST, how do you think the players feel?

On a sidenote, if im a star athlete i also pause when i see so many coaches/assistants coming from one program - syracuse. And the ones who arent from syracuse are buddy buddy with Marrone.

The one exception is Pettine and no coincidence that was the better side of this team.

On a sidenote, if im a star athlete i also pause when i see so many coaches/assistants coming from one program - syracuse. And the ones who arent from syracuse are buddy buddy with Marrone.

The one exception is Pettine and no coincidence that was the better side of this team.

I always wonder if the "lose the locker room" situation could be exacerbated when the players realize that the coach is hiring his buddies, and not necessarily the best available people for the various coaching positions. And I believe that the players will have very little patience next year if things don't turn around pretty quickly. Play calling, play design, and clock management are examples of things that are taken out of the players' control and they have to rely on the coaches to do what makes sense. If the players realize the coaches are letting them down, how long before they stop trying, and start having phantom injuries, or become chronically tardy for meetings, etc.

Oakland is 1 spot below at 31. And who coached Oakland's special teams this year ? Bobby April.

That's a weak argument because April has proven that he can get the job done in the NFL -Crossman hasn't. In addition, Crossman had Easley as a gunner and McKelvin and Goodwin as return men. The performance is completely unacceptable.

Crossman wasn't a cuse friend either. So it's only 1 out of 3 coordinators.

There can be no justification for keeping him. And, does this mean we lost six quality special team players from last year to this (the number Marrone said we need to get)? And if so, what does that say about this staff's ability to evaluate talent?

That's a weak argument because April has proven that he can get the job done in the NFL -Crossman hasn't. In addition, Crossman had Easley as a gunner and McKelvin and Goodwin as return men. The performance is completely unacceptable.

April hasn't gotten it done ever since the major rule changes. And I never said Crossman was an acceptable choice. My point was made to highlight the fact that all the April love is misplaced.

I'm reading it the same way. Seems to validate what we've all seen.

Crossman's status going forward will be a good test of Marrone's commitment to accountability. Does it apply to players only, or are coach-friends exempt?

We certainly shall see.

If nothing is done about Crossman, then Marrone is just Gregg Williams 2.0.