Fan/reporter calls out Browns owner Jimmy Haslam

Jerry Jabber

http://www.nfl.com/videos (The link is kind of messed up, after you click on the link, scroll down and click on the link that says "Haslam responds to "Three Stooges" question.)

"This team remains an embarrassment, not only to the NFL, but to the fans as well, we deserve better. Who really cares anymore, they have lost their fans trying to outsmart the rest of the league. Totally done with anything Browns, Haslam and his Stooges, Banner and Lombardi, can pack up and get out of Cleveland."

I wish this was directed at Russ Brandon because everything the fan/reporter said to Browns owner, Jimmy Haslam, should be said about the Bills.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

You liked the whiney little "b*tchy" tone of that question? I think it is disgraceful that fans and ignorant media feel that it is their job to be sarcastic and "hold the management accountable".

In the context that it is used on this board, "holding someone accountable" = "blame someone because I am not happy and I can't accept step-wise improvement". "Wah wah, wah I have waited too long for a winner so nothing is good enough other than an instant turnaround into a SB team".

IMHO, reporters like this should be thrown out and not allowed back. They aren't "analyzing" anything. They are just being smart-asses and stating the obvious that things didn't go well. What would their plan be? What would they have done differently?

I will be happy the day some coach punches one of these losers in the face.

Edited by OldTimer1960

You liked the whiney little "b*tchy" tone of that question? I think it is disgraceful that fans and ignorant media feel that it is their job to be sarcastic and "hold the management accountable".

In the context that it is used on this board, "holding someone accountable" = "blame someone because I am not happy and I can't accept step-wise improvement". "Wah wah, wah I have waited too long for a winner so nothing is good enough other than an instant turnaround into a SB team".

IMHO, reporters like this should be thrown out and not allowed back. They aren't "analyzing" anything. They are just being smart-asses and stating the obvious that things didn't go well. What would their plan be? What would they have done differently?

:worthy:

Excellent post

It depends on the point of view. Most of the media is lost and confused. They don't understand their role or their jobs. This has allowed 'entertainers' to come in who don't do any real analysis and perform antics like this. The 'stooges' guy could have really done some research and held them accountable. Instead, he chose to fire off his 'brilliant' one liner and call it a day.

the reporter presented a typical fan response to this years browns and prefaced it as such. would you argue it"s imprecise? would you argue it's irrelevant?

haslam looked surprised. i'm guessing he's pretty aware of fans unhappiness. i think he was responding to the audacity of the reporter in directly confronting him with it. i agree with the op: bravo to the reporter. it's fair to assume he works for a local media source. do not the local taxpayers have a right to comment on the browns and its ownership?

most telling is that it's linked to the nfl site. teams like the bills and browns are hurting the brand. this, to me, is evidence that the nfl publicly acknowledges that fact.

Edited by birdog1960

i think this reporter http://sports.yahoo....09972--nfl.html gets it right. the quotes from the unnamed browns players are priceless as well: "these billionaires need to pick somebody and stay with them". the natives are past restless re the browns and the nfl, in general.

I will concede that I think that the constant turnover of coaches in Cleveland is counter-productive to building a winner (yet many here are already discussing who should replace Doug Marrone)

However, there are professional and civil ways to ask the question. The "reporter" could have said something like: "Based on fan posts to our station's web page, many are concerned about the stability of the organization. Can you comment on why you are confident in this decision and in your leadership team?"

totally agree , except id probably would slap the little bi*** ,by the way was sully visiting the browns ?

well said.

I will concede that I think that the constant turnover of coaches in Cleveland is counter-productive to building a winner (yet many here are already discussing who should replace Doug Marrone)

However, there are professional and civil ways to ask the question. The "reporter" could have said something like: "Based on fan posts to our station's web page, many are concerned about the stability of the organization. Can you comment on why you are confident in this decision and in your leadership team?"

i don't see why using a fans quote to summate many other fans feelings is unprofessional.now, what haslam allegedly did at triple j is likely worthy of a B word slap. unfortunately, he'll likely get a fine instead. then maybe the nba will offer him a franchise.

well said.

+1

http://www.nfl.com/videos (The link is kind of messed up, after you click on the link, scroll down and click on the link that says "Haslam responds to "Three Stooges" question.)

"This team remains an embarrassment, not only to the NFL, but to the fans as well, we deserve better. Who really cares anymore, they have lost their fans trying to outsmart the rest of the league. Totally done with anything Browns, Haslam and his Stooges, Banner and Lombardi, can pack up and get out of Cleveland."

I wish this was directed at Russ Brandon because everything the fan/reporter said to Browns owner, Jimmy Haslam, should be said about the Bills.

I suspect you will get your wish once Ralph passes and the team is sold. Some of us do not share your opinion and wish to enjoy the ride while we can. You can always become of fan of the Patriots I suppose if you are that miserable.

+1

I suspect you will get your wish once Ralph passes and the team is sold. Some of us do not share your opinion and wish to enjoy the ride while we can. You can always become of fan of the Patriots I suppose if you are that miserable.

So anyone that is upset at Bills management/coaches for 9 consecutive losing seasons and 14 consecutive years of missing the playoffs is not a "Billever" and is not allowed to voice their opinions?

Keep drinking the kool-aid, Russ & Ralph are counting on you.

So anyone that is upset at Bills management/coaches for 9 consecutive losing seasons and 14 consecutive years of missing the playoffs is not a "Billever" and is not allowed to voice their opinions?

Keep drinking the kool-aid, Russ & Ralph are counting on you.

But they're not counting on you? Seems to me we're all Bills fans here. Unless you don't count because you're pissed.

There are definitely better and more polite ways to ask the question. But relentless futility demands a response. Unless the NFL has gotten to the point where actual fans are no longer part of the business model.

I see both sides of this.

The media is no longer the media for the most part. Guys use to get into the media to report a story. now so many times the people who are in the media are becoming part of the story.

I remember taking journalism in school. Besides getting the facts correct the other important part was to leave your view out of the story. This is getting lost time and time again. It is almost as if reporters do not know how to just ask a question. They ask questions that are leading or have an agenda. I think much of it has to do with reporters not first going out and collecting info. If you know information about something then you can ask someone a tough question.

The reporter could have used facts and stats. losing seasons turnover of coaches. Amounts of money thrown away on coaches etc...

I also understand how we as fans are upset at our ownership and management. We need real reporters asking tough fact based questions. This is what ultimately will lead to something better maybe.

I think it was sloppy of the journalist to use "the fan" in that way. Everybody wants the power of the shock question or statement these days.

What is lost on the NFL these days is the idea that they are a part of a community and there is more to the game than just money.