Bills working to keep Moorman [update: signed 1-10-2014]

ny33

The Bengals replaced Powell with Mesko, who had two punts inside the twenty. We could have signed him and given him a multi-game trial when the season was shot.

But why? Mesko has bounced around enough where you know what you are going to get. I don't think he would have been an appreciable upgrade over Moorman in the middle of the season. The time to really upgrade the position is in the off-season.

In the playoff game, he hit two okay punts, and then boomed the other one 10 yards through the endzone for a TB--so I don't think you can say a whole lot about his performance, other than being fairly average.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But why? Mesko has bounced around enough where you know what you are going to get. I don't think he would have been an appreciable upgrade over Moorman in the middle of the season. The time to really upgrade the position is in the off-season.

In the playoff game, he hit two okay punts, and then boomed the other one 10 yards through the endzone for a TB--so I don't think you can say a whole lot about his performance, other than being fairly average.

Well it was better than Moorman's performance!!!

Extended. If he has any guaranteed money, Whaley and Co. are probably receiving roster input from the marketing team.

if I had to guess, it's probably a one-year deal at a vet minimum. They will bring in some competition in training camp, and the better kicker will win.

Even if you think Moorman should be done, I am not sure this is a bad idea. It's more like insurance than anything else.

By the way, pretty interesting article by Chris Brown on Moorman on his numbers:

On the surface some might look at Moorman’s net punting average, one of the chief indicators used to assess a punter’s rate of success, and see that with a mark of 36.6 he ranked 30th in the NFL. What most may not understand is Moorman was very rarely asked to flip the field for Buffalo’s defense.

Most of the time the approach of special teams coordinator Danny Crossman was to hang the ball high to let the coverage unit force a fair catch or down the ball.

In his 11 games as Bills punter Moorman did an admirable job. He forced 17 fair catches, put 10 punts out of bounds and four others were downed. All told just over half of his punts (31-61) were not returnable.

If you project Moorman’s fair catches out over a 16-game season he would’ve had 28 on the year, which would’ve ranked second in the NFL.

For those punts that were returned the gains were minimal. Opponents averaged 7.6 yards a return on Moorman punts this season good for eighth-best in the league. More importantly it cut the average return that opponents had been getting when Shawn Powell was punting almost in half. When Powell was still punting for Buffalo opponents averaged 14.5 yards a punt return.

Hang time is what Crossman wants more than anything and Moorman proved he could still deliver that on a consistent basis. According to Pro Football Focus Moorman’s top hang time this season was 5.5 seconds, good for second-best in the league.

Only three other NFL punters had a better hang time on kicks this season. St. Louis’ Johnny Hekker, Jacksonville’s Bryan Anger and San Francisco’s Andy Lee had a better hang time punt in 2013, as all three hit 5.6 seconds this past season and none of them punt in the conditions offered at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Moorman-wants-to-keep-on-kicking/863966a2-09d4-459c-aa98-76587cd7367e

Meh...I still think they will bring in a quality punter to compete with him. I don't think this is any indication as to whether he is on the roster for opening day. Contract is most likely devoid of guaranteed money and incentive laden. Don't panic folks.

yup - id guess (hope?) the theory is lock in a worst case scenario and attempt to upgrade from there.

Personally I'm not seeing it just yet.

Moorman was available in the middle of the season, so you'd think there'd be better veteran punters available come free agency. Why not simply sign one of those better options and let that dude compete with a youngster.

no one says we cant, if its the type of contract that simply sets a floor at the position. that way if we miss out on the vet or college guy we want, atleast we have someone on hand that we are comfortable with.

yup - id guess (hope?) the theory is lock in a worst case scenario and attempt to upgrade from there.

It's an insurance policy.

By the way, I posted this in the other Moorman thread-- Chris Brown makes a strong defense for Moorman's play.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Moorman-wants-to-keep-on-kicking/863966a2-09d4-459c-aa98-76587cd7367e

On the surface some might look at Moorman’s net punting average, one of the chief indicators used to assess a punter’s rate of success, and see that with a mark of 36.6 he ranked 30th in the NFL. What most may not understand is Moorman was very rarely asked to flip the field for Buffalo’s defense.

Most of the time the approach of special teams coordinator Danny Crossman was to hang the ball high to let the coverage unit force a fair catch or down the ball.

In his 11 games as Bills punter Moorman did an admirable job. He forced 17 fair catches, put 10 punts out of bounds and four others were downed. All told just over half of his punts (31-61) were not returnable.

If you project Moorman’s fair catches out over a 16-game season he would’ve had 28 on the year, which would’ve ranked second in the NFL.

For those punts that were returned the gains were minimal. Opponents averaged 7.6 yards a return on Moorman punts this season good for eighth-best in the league. More importantly it cut the average return that opponents had been getting when Shawn Powell was punting almost in half. When Powell was still punting for Buffalo opponents averaged 14.5 yards a punt return.

Hang time is what Crossman wants more than anything and Moorman proved he could still deliver that on a consistent basis. According to Pro Football Focus Moorman’s top hang time this season was 5.5 seconds, good for second-best in the league.