Your ideal starting 22 in 2014

Kirby Jackson

I thought about trying to put together a realistic starting 22 for next year. This factors in free agency and the draft. In addition, I am using a 4-3 & 3WR set for this exercise. I would love feedback and thoughts from you guys as to what you like or what you'd do differently. Please try to remain realistic (ie EJ will be starting it looks like).

QB- EJ

RB - Spiller

LT - Glenn

LG - Slauson (FA from Chi)

C- Wood

RG - Urbik

RT - Hairston

TE - Pitta (FA from Baltimore)

WR - Woods

WR - Benjamin (Rd 2 from Fla. St)

Slot - Stevie

DE - Mario Williams

DE - Carrington (resigned)

DT - Kyle Williams

DT- Dareus

OLB - Lawson

MLB - Kiko

OLB - Mack (Rd 1 from UB)

CB - Gilmore

CB - McKelvin

SS - Aaron Williams

FS - Byrd (resigned)

If Slauson comes at a reasonable price, I'd sign him. He's an average starter, which is about what you can expect from a mid-priced free agent starter. I'd also take a serious look at Hakeem Nicks, who might be the big receiver we need.

If that's the case, I'd want to draft Eric Ebron, giving us a T.E. who can slot out wide, or trade down a few picks and pick up Amaro/Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. With the second round pick, I'd draft a L.B. like A.J. Johnson.

Alternatively, I would take Mack/Mosley at 9 and pick up a right tackle/guard, assuming none of the three tight ends have slipped, in the second.

If there's a stud R.B. in the third/fourth, take him.

If Byrd gets tagged and traded for a second, I can live with that. I get the sense that he doesn't want to be here, which unfortunately may drive down his trade value.

Of course, if there's a QB that the scouting team really likes, you have to take him. Competition will only drive E.J. to be better.

QB- EJ

RB- Spiller/FJax

WR- Woods, Mike Evans/Devante Adams(1st,2nd) Stevie, Goodwin

TE-Ebron, Sefarian-Jenkins/Amaro(1st/2nd)

LT- Glenn

LG-Hairston

C-Wood

RG- Urbik

RT- J.Martin(trade 6th rounder)

DL- Mario

DL- Kyle

DL- Marcell

DL- Branch, Hughes, Carrington(resign)

OLB- Manny

MLB- Brandon Spikes (FA from NE)

OLB- Kiko

CB- Gilmore

CB- Leodis

SS- Aaron Williams

FS- Jairus Byrd

Nickel- Robey

K- Carpenter

P- a new face

Utilize 3rd,4th, and 5th round to take OL, CB, LB. RB. Take RB Jerome Smith, Jay Bromley, Sean Hickey if I can

Edited by Jrock6986

Like some of your moves I'd make some slightly more radical moves including an offense often in 2 to 4 TE's sets (6 TE's on roster), run oriented,very fast paced subbing in Goodwin and Graham

QB- EJ

RB - Spiller

LT - Glenn

C- Wood

RG - Urbik

RT - Austin Howard ( FA jets)

TE - Jace Amaro (1a)

TE- A Seferian-Jenkins (1b)

TE- Scott Chandler

WR- Goodwin

DE - Mario Williams

DE - Dareus

DT - Kyle Williams

DT- Paul Soliai

OLB - Lawson

MLB - Andrew Jackson (4th round)

OLB - KIko

CB - Gilmore

CB - McKelvin

SS - Aaron Williams

FS - Byrd (resigned)

Passing situation substitution - Dareus moves to DT replacing Soliai and Jerry Hughes to DE , Robey replaces Andrew Jackson

I thought about trying to put together a realistic starting 22 for next year. This factors in free agency and the draft. In addition, I am using a 4-3 & 3WR set for this exercise. I would love feedback and thoughts from you guys as to what you like or what you'd do differently. Please try to remain realistic (ie EJ will be starting it looks like).

QB- EJ

RB - Spiller

LT - Glenn

C- Wood

RG - Urbik

RT - Hairston

WR - Woods

Slot - Stevie

DE - Mario Williams

DT - Kyle Williams

DT- Dareus

OLB - Lawson

MLB - Kiko

CB - Gilmore

CB - McKelvin

SS - Aaron Williams

FS - Byrd (resigned)

i was reading up on Slauson today and seems a decent upgrade. i like to take a chance on Pitta and Mack seems a good fit. Benjamin !

how do you figure Hairston is servicable or even in the league at this point

Like some of your moves I'd make some slightly more radical moves including an offense often in 2 to 4 TE's sets (6 TE's on roster), run oriented,very fast paced subbing in Goodwin and Graham

QB- EJ

RB - Spiller

LT - Glenn

C- Wood

RG - Urbik

TE - Jace Amaro (1a)

TE- Scott Chandler

WR- Goodwin

DE - Mario Williams

DE - Dareus

DT - Kyle Williams

DT- Paul Soliai

OLB - Lawson

OLB - KIko

CB - Gilmore

CB - McKelvin

SS - Aaron Williams

FS - Byrd (resigned)

Passing situation substitution - Dareus moves to DT replacing Soliai and Jerry Hughes to DE , Robey replaces Andrew Jackson

6 TE's what???

QB- EJ

RB - Spiller

LT - Glenn

C- Wood

RG - Urbik

TE - Jace Amaro (1a)

TE- Scott Chandler

WR- Goodwin

DE - Mario Williams

DE - Dareus

DT - Kyle Williams

DT- Paul Soliai

OLB - Lawson

OLB - KIko

CB - Gilmore

CB - McKelvin

SS - Aaron Williams

FS - Byrd (resigned)

A 4 T.E. set? No. What positions do you skimp on to have 6 T.E.s on the roster? Most of them would have to be competent special teams players.

QB- EJ

RB - Spiller

LT - Glenn

C- Wood

RG - Urbik

RT - Hairston

WR - Woods

Slot - Stevie

DE - Mario Williams

DT - Kyle Williams

DT- Dareus

OLB - Lawson

MLB - Kiko

CB - Gilmore

CB - McKelvin

SS - Aaron Williams

FS - Byrd (resigned)

Nice list.

I haven't gotten into the draft yet, but I am willing to bet we fill the guard and even RT spots with draft picks.

Maybe a trade down and get a RT in bottom of 1st and a guard in the 3rd round.

I also think Byrd is gone, and would insert Searcy in the starting lineup.

i was reading up on Slauson today and seems a decent upgrade. i like to take a chance on Pitta and Mack seems a good fit. Benjamin !

how do you figure Hairston is servicable or even in the league at this point

Not sure if Hairston will be in the league or not. It is certainly an optimistic thought. I was trying to stay as realistic as possible. I am assuming they draft a tackle in the 3rd or 4th in my scenario but I am not sure that he will start day 1. In addition, I expect Pears to remain on the roster.

A 4 T.E. set? No. What positions do you skimp on to have 6 T.E.s on the roster? Most of them would have to be competent special teams players.

Skimping on WRs, 4 at most (one TE will take over FB duties as an H-Back) fast smurf type - the idea being a very fast paced no huddle offense, very run orientated rapidly alternating between 4 6'5+ 250lbs+ guys with decent speed who can catch and block, and subbing 1-3 super fast smurf WRs

QB- EJ

RB - Spiller

LT - Glenn

C- Wood

RG - Urbik

RT - Hairston

WR - Woods

Slot - Stevie

DE - Mario Williams

DT - Kyle Williams

DT- Dareus

OLB - Lawson

MLB - Kiko

CB - Gilmore

CB - McKelvin

SS - Aaron Williams

FS - Byrd (resigned)

I'd have to agree with almost everything. I love that you chose Benjamin over Evans for your drafted WR. I'm a huge Benjamin believer and not completely sold on Evans. Especially for where it seems like we'd have to draft him (high 1st). I also think if Hairston can come back healthy, he has played well when he's been in. The only one I'd disagree with is Pitta. The injury he had scares me. He is a good TE, but he spends a lot of time in the trenches where knees can get rolled. I actually like Chandler. Do I like his drops sometimes? No. But he also makes some incredibly tough catches. I'd also like to take a TE in the draft somewhere. Good post!