What batch of kool-aid will Russ whip up next?

Jerry Jabber

Last year, Russ got promoted, had a big press conference and talked a big game saying the Bills image had been tarnished and he would leave no stone unturned in searching for a new coach & making the Bills a winner. One year later, it's the exact same result, 6-10 and 4th in the AFC East (same result 3 years in a row). So, what batch of kool-aid will Russ whip up this offseason to make us all "Billeve" the Bills are headed in the right direction?

The threat of additional games played in Saskatchewan should fill Ralph Wilson stadium nicely... and maybe a trinket washed up WR from somewhere should put the icing on the dumpster cake.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think kool-aid is necessary. It isnt hard to see that it is playoffs or bust for this team next year. A couple good moves/draft and they should be able to challenge New England for the Division (unless they have some sort of wicked offseason).

If they took a step back next season, he will have to bring his riot gear

Some of you folks are funny: you really think that the organization would rather try to fool the "kool aid drinkers" (by the way, that's one of my least favorite over-used terms in the universe) than actually improve.

Here's a bit of info for you guys: they want to be a good football team; so far, they've failed.

That said, I think you may want to give Whaley/Marrone more than 1 off-season to try to improve this team. There's no question that the defense got markedly better; are they perfect? No. Much better than last year? Without a doubt. Isn't it fair to give them a bit more time to fix the offense as well? Or are we just so riddled with disappointment that there's no room for error at all?

From the looks of this board, it's the latter; I can't get on board with that mentality.

With 14 years in the tank it must be getting harder for Brandon, even if the audience is looking hard for the slightest reason to Billieve,

I suspect one coach will be offered up as a human sacrifice ... probably ST but maybe (though unlikely) OC.

He will go to great lengths to continue to sell Manuel as the QB of the future. Not sure how, but he is nothing if not a creative guy.

The #9 pick will be something sexy, not a lineman or even a LB. Maybe a every down stud RB or WR that he can market.

He will be very public about the Bills making every effort in good faith to resign Byrd.

Season ticket prices won't go up much, and some might be lowered again. He got a lot of mileage out of that last year.

Plus like I said, Brandon is good at his job. I'm sure he has something else up his sleeve that I can't begin to predict.

Edited by CodeMonkey

With 14 years in the tank it must be getting harder for Brandon, even if the audience is looking hard for the slightest reason to Billieve,

I suspect one coach will be offered up as a human sacrifice ... probably ST but maybe (though unlikely) OC.

He will go to great lengths to continue to sell Manuel as the QB of the future. Not sure how, but he is nothing if not a creative guy.

The #9 pick will be something sexy, not a lineman or even a LB. Maybe a every down stud RB that he can market.

He will be very public about making every effort to resign Byrd.

Season ticket prices won't go up much, and some might be lowered again. He got a lot of mileage out of that last year.

Plus like I said, Brandon is good at his job. I'm sure he has something else up his sleeve that I can't begin to predict.

I don't see that happening...not their MO. If it were they wouldn't draft guys like Dareus and Gilmore early...if they do go with a skill-position guy it'll be a WR or TE.

Yes, tis the season for the "rose colored glasses" vs. "hard bitten realist" nonsense to begin.

Doesn't it drive you nuts? Can we not just be analytical about it?

Some of you folks are funny: you really think that the organization would rather try to fool the "kool aid drinkers" (by the way, that's one of my least favorite over-used terms in the universe) than actually improve.

Here's a bit of info for you guys: they want to be a good football team; so far, they've failed.

I don't think anyone is disputing that the Bills want to be good? Are they?

But if you don't think that the president of the Buffalo Bills isn't trying to sell kool-aid to the public then I don't think you know much about how businesses operate.

Professional football is about politics and marketing as much as it is about playing football. One of the main jobs of management is managing fan perceptions. They have to manage perceptions of their customer base (Bills fans) as much as any company has to manage the perceptions of its customers.

This is a business first and foremost that happens to conduct business in an industry called the NFL.

Every single year without exception, the front office tries to spin their off season moves into being as positive as possible. They look for ways to reach out to the fan base and get them excited. That is their job. If they don't do that and do it well, then the Buffalo Bills don't sell out any games at all and the season ticket base would be below 30,000 year after year. They have to spin. They have to twist the truth. They have to pull the wool over the eyes of the fan base. There is a tremendous amount of lying and truth twisting going on almost on a level with national politics. I can't believe you can't see that.

If you can't see that, then I can guess who you voted for in every presidential election in your lifetime.

Edited by PolishDave

I don't think anyone is disputing that the Bills want to be good? Are they?

But if you don't think that the president of the Buffalo Bills isn't trying to sell kool-aid to the public then I don't think you know much about how businesses operate.

Professional football is about politics and marketing as much as it is about playing football. One of the main jobs of management is managing fan perceptions. They have to manage perceptions of their customer base (Bills fans) as much as any company has to manage the perceptions of its customers.

This is a business first and foremost that happens to conduct business in an industry called the NFL.

Every single year without exception, the front office tries to spin their off season moves into being as positive as possible. They look for ways to reach out to the fan base and get them excited. That is their job. If they don't do that and do it well, then the Buffalo Bills don't sell out any games at all and the season ticket base would be below 30,000 year after year. They have to spin. They have to twist the truth. They have to pull the wool over the eyes of the fan base. There is a tremendous amount of lying and truth twisting going on almost on a level with national politics. I can't believe you can't see that.

If you can't see that, then I can guess who you vote for in every presidential election in your lifetime.

Although I appreciate your desire to turn this into a political discussion and backhandedly insinuate naivety on my part, this isn't PPP, so I'm just going to stick to football and leave my political beliefs and decision-making acumen out of it if that's alright.

I actually run my own business, so I know perfectly well how a business runs. When I read "selling kool aid", I take that to mean that they're selling a bill of goods. As in trying to convince the fans that the efforts are being made to get better, when no such efforts are being made.

I can assure you, personally, that's not the case.

I can also assure you that the team doesn't need to convince the fans of anything to make money; they make a boatload--a sick amount--before they sell any tickets, merchandise, etc. The TV contract is absolutely massive, so the "it's a business" argument as supporting evidence to the "selling kool aid" theory doesn't hold water.

Do they market to the fans with the message that things are going to get better? Of course...they'd be idiotic and dishonest not to, as their goal is to get better. That's not spinning, that's stating your goal to your intended audience. Failure to do so isn't the result of a group of slicksters pulling the wool over your eyes; it's the result of an approach that either (a) didn't work or (b) hasn't run its course yet.

I don't see that happening...not their MO. If it were they wouldn't draft guys like Dareus and Gilmore early...if they do go with a skill-position guy it'll be a WR or TE.

Yeah I added in WR after you quoted me :) That also helps sell Manuel as well.

Doesn't it drive you nuts? Can we not just be analytical about it?

It hurts some people too much to be analytical after the past 14 seasons. And Brandon certainly does not want Bills fans thinking analytically!;)

Fair enough Bandit.

But if you think that what the Bills front office does every year isn't "spinning" the truth. Then we will have to agree to disagree. I am firmly in the camp that even if the Bills fired every last good player and every last good coach on their payroll, they would still tell the fan base that "This is going to be the best Bills season yet baby! Wooohooo! Get psyched! Woo hoo!" Come witness a new era in Buffalo Bills history. Woo Hoo!

Get my point? If you don't think they would spin it that way or if you don't think that actually is "spinning" then I certainly am never going to convince you otherwise.

I dont know what they could do next. They used "The Big One" last year with Wilson "stepping down" and Brandon "Taking over" with a sudden full commitment to winning. They are pretty much out of bullets.

It should be fine now, and it is not unrealistic the Bills could be an actual contender in this AFC next season. However, if Wilson is still the owner of this team and 2014 and/or 2015 end up another 1 step forward, 2 back "regime", then I don't know what they will be able to do.

Fair enough Bandit.

But if you think that what the Bills front office does every year isn't "spinning" the truth. Then we will have to agree to disagree. I am firmly in the camp that even if the Bills fired every last good player and every last good coach on their payroll, they would still tell the fan base that "This is going to be the best Bills season yet baby! Wooohooo! Get psyched! Woo hoo!" Come witness a new era in Buffalo Bills history. Woo Hoo!

Get my point? If you don't think they would spin it that way or if you don't think that actually is "spinning" then I certainly am never going to convince you otherwise.

I think what you're saying is that all marketing is a "spin" of some sorts, and if that's the case then yes, I agree. In affect, then, any team that isn't a perennial Superbowl contender is doing the same thing.

Personally, I don't see "spin" coming from the current version of the team. To me, "spin" was hiring Marv Levy as GM, sticking with Dick Jauron as head coach, sticking with Fitz as QB, etc. To me, this feels very different...I know it's now a buzzword with how often Marrone has used it, but I feel like there's an air of accountability around this team. LG doesn't do his job? Cut. Nickel CB doesn't do his job? Cut. Punter doesn't do his job? Cut. Best run-stuffing DT late to meetings? Benched.

We'll see how this translates to putting a winning product on the field; to me though, it feels different, and I'm no turd-polisher.

Although I appreciate your desire to turn this into a political discussion and backhandedly insinuate naivety on my part, this isn't PPP, so I'm just going to stick to football and leave my political beliefs and decision-making acumen out of it if that's alright.

I actually run my own business, so I know perfectly well how a business runs. When I read "selling kool aid", I take that to mean that they're selling a bill of goods. As in trying to convince the fans that the efforts are being made to get better, when no such efforts are being made.

I can assure you, personally, that's not the case.

I can also assure you that the team doesn't need to convince the fans of anything to make money; they make a boatload--a sick amount--before they sell any tickets, merchandise, etc. The TV contract is absolutely massive, so the "it's a business" argument as supporting evidence to the "selling kool aid" theory doesn't hold water.

Do they market to the fans with the message that things are going to get better? Of course...they'd be idiotic and dishonest not to, as their goal is to get better. That's not spinning, that's stating your goal to your intended audience. Failure to do so isn't the result of a group of slicksters pulling the wool over your eyes; it's the result of an approach that either (a) didn't work or (b) hasn't run its course yet.

I agree with PolishDave's assessment. When I referred to "Kool-aid," usually what happens is the Bills will try and put a band-aid on a gushing wound. They do something to try and make the team better, but it is nowhere near enough. While signing TO was meant to create a big spark on offense as the Bills finally had a legitimate #1 WR in TO, and a solid #2 WR in Evans, it did not produce the results intended as the much bigger problem was the Bills QB at the time, followed by Jauron telling Schonert to dumb down the offense, and the fiasco at LT. Signing Mario Williams was supposed to be the huge spark that ignited the defense, but instead the Bills had Wannstedt operating an old/outdated 20+ year old defense which failed miserably and had no clue how fix it. Last year, Brandon had his big rah-rah speech about how he was going to leave no stone unturned to make this team a winner, but yet we have the exact same result as the following 3 years (6-10, 4th in the AFC East). Brandon hired a guy who had a .500 overall record as a college HC, when Lovie Smith, an NFL HC with an overall winning record was available and wanted the job. Marrone then stated he would hire coordinators that are experts in their field...does any consider Hackett and Crossman experts?

I think what you're saying is that all marketing is a "spin" of some sorts, and if that's the case then yes, I agree. In affect, then, any team that isn't a perennial Superbowl contender is doing the same thing.

Personally, I don't see "spin" coming from the current version of the team. To me, "spin" was hiring Marv Levy as GM, sticking with Dick Jauron as head coach, sticking with Fitz as QB, etc. To me, this feels very different...I know it's now a buzzword with how often Marrone has used it, but I feel like there's an air of accountability around this team. LG doesn't do his job? Cut. Nickel CB doesn't do his job? Cut. Punter doesn't do his job? Cut. Best run-stuffing DT late to meetings? Benched.

We'll see how this translates to putting a winning product on the field; to me though, it feels different, and I'm no turd-polisher.

Last year, it was the youth movement at OBD. I'm interested in seeing what is next? Will the Bills try and land some big name FA's, or make some big moves in the draft?

I feel the Bills will not draft a QB, even if a QB is available that has more upside at QB because they drafted Manuel last season. Until the Bills get a legitimate franchise QB, they will not be a playoff team. Like others have said, the Bills will take 1 step forward, and take 2 steps backwards.

The concerning part for me is that Brandon has known nothing but failure/futility during his entire Bills tenure (except '98/'99). He's been part of a seemingly endless cycle of mgmt. & coaching changes (no stability whatsovever).

He also learned at the feet of Ralph Wilson, who is a scary-bad mentor if you're trying to learn how to be an inspirational/purpose-driven leader.

Does he even know how to build a sustained/winning culture? He definitely knows how to sell (false?) hope.

I'm sure that another promotion for him is part of the '14/'15 plan.

If he can find our franchise QB in this year's draft, he's done his job.