Coach Marrone

vegas55

Look I believe Marrone is the right man for the Buffalo job and I continue to believe he will be successful here. But there are some red flags/concerns.

It was in the preseason, right before New England game, Marrone made a huge deal about the importance of winning the turnover battle - key to victory right? And the overwhelming percentages say he was right. But then his team goes out and loses two early season games where they had won the turnover battle. Even worse, against Baltimore, they win the turnover battle by a factor of two, rush for over 200 yards, but need a miraculous Alonso pick to keep that game from going into OT. So what's going on? Well the whole turnover scenario is not valid if you play a hyper conservative offense ie play not to turn the ball over. We saw a lot of that in the Jauron era. I mention this now because on WGR this morning Marrone came up with a new one - he stated that key to beating Pats is this stat - Pats have a losing record when they don't force a turnover. Well thanks coach, but really, your key to victory is taking Thad or EJ into Foxboro and hoping your team does not turn the ball over even once? So we went from hoping to win the turnover battle ( a realistic expectation) to never turning the ball over - good luck with that plan.

The actual plan should be to win the turnover battle without having your offense go into a shell. Can't win that way - you have one of the top ranked defenses in the league but you have only 6 wins to show for it. That has to tell you something about your offensive philosophy. And let's not put all the blame on Hackett; Marrone is the de facto O coordinator, that's his NFL experience and I doubt if he has much input into Pettins defense.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Key to beating Patsies in Patsy land is to go straight up to Brady and Bellicheat and punch them square in the face. It takes more than talent, it takes a certain attitude to beat those two clowns. We possess neither; not yet at least.

I agree with the first bolded part, strongly disagree with the second bolded part.

Do any of the people posting this nonsense actually work for a living? I doubt it highly. How could they? I just cant wrap my noggin around the volume of idiocy here.. On a board where you'd expect knowledgeable football people. Thankfully, we do have some of those and I appreciate the hell out of that. Good grief though, there is a lot of basement "fluff" ...... and thats putting it mildly.

My opinion, and thats all it is. We have a good coach here. You can highlight all his failures and ignore his personnel decisions but in my opinion he's gonna be a winner and I'm damn glad we have him.

Who are you going to replace this coach with.....that is a better coach?

Sure...Gruden, Cowher et al will break their ankles rushing to Buffalo to coach. Not Happnin.

I'm proud to have Marrone coaching my favorite football team.

Edited by jaybee

Marrone has looked like an inexperienced first year NFL head coach to me. He has a long way to go and these days teams don't give you the time to learn on the job. He may work out... at his next coaching stop.

Really? Tell me how Chip Kelly looks. His team was circling the drain until Vick gets injured and Foles took over. Heck, Kelly waited 3 weeks before he would even commit to Foles as his starter. You would think such an offensive genius could tell what he had in Foles and played him sooner.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

i have no idea what coach marrone is like to play for. i have no idea what his team, or his assistants truly think about him. i have no idea how much input or influence he has on offensive or defensive playcalling. all i know is what i hear him say, and having been able to listen to his friday wgr segments, i like the guy a lot. he seems to understand the connection that the fans have with this team and he seems to value hard work, accountability and attitude. he could just be another guy saying what i want to hear, but i get a pretty sincere vibe from him. i am pretty happy with him coaching my football team.

Marrone and EJ both get "incomplete" as a grade from me. I think they both can turn out fine (I have a little more faith that Marrone will turn out fine than EJ at this point). Too many strange events this year with injuries (that isn't really new, happens to every team every year to some degree), new assistant coaches, three inexperienced QBs, lack of vet leadership, new rules (hit low, not high, etc).

I think Marrone started the year showing enthusiasm and fire on the sidelines, and ended the year looking like a deer in the headlights. That is a little worrisome to me.

Really? Tell me how Chip Kelly looks. His team was circling the drain until Vick gets injured and Foles took over. Heck, Kelly waited 3 weeks before he would even commit to Foles as his starter. You would think such an offensive genius could tell what he had in Foles and played him sooner.

PTR

Chip Kelly looks like a coach who took over a 4-12 team and is about to make the playoffs with them in his first season. Also, he was hired for his "offensive genius" and he has the number 2 offense in the NFL, so at this point he look A LOT better than Marrone. Marrone seems closer to Greg Schiano than Chip Kelly.

Edited by vincec

i have no idea what coach marrone is like to play for. i have no idea what his team, or his assistants truly think about him. i have no idea how much input or influence he has on offensive or defensive playcalling. all i know is what i hear him say, and having been able to listen to his friday wgr segments, i like the guy a lot. he seems to understand the connection that the fans have with this team and he seems to value hard work, accountability and attitude. he could just be another guy saying what i want to hear, but i get a pretty sincere vibe from him. i am pretty happy with him coaching my football team.

+1

+1

I think fairly, that Coach Marrone knows full well he will need to hit his stride next year .

I also think that he knows he has some good bit of work to do yet.

PTR

Here here!

+1

I think fairly, that Coach Marrone knows full well he will need to hit his stride next year .

I also think that he knows he has some good bit of work to do yet.

he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to shy away from the work that needs to be done. for that matter, i think that EJ is also the type of person to know he has a long way to go and will put in the required work. whether they succeed or not, i have no idea, but i have a good level of confidence that if they fail, it will not be from lack of effort.

he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to shy away from the work that needs to be done. for that matter, i think that EJ is also the type of person to know he has a long way to go and will put in the required work. whether they succeed or not, i have no idea, but i have a good level of confidence that if they fail, it will not be from lack of effort.

well i dont know how we came upon the exact same barrel of kool -aid . but...... :beer:

Chip Kelly looks like a coach who took over a 4-12 team and is about to make the playoffs with them in his first season. Also, he was hired for his "offensive genius" and he has the number 2 offense in the NFL, so at this point he look A LOT better than Marrone. Marrone seems closer to Greg Schiano than Chip Kelly.

Did you hear that? It was PTR'S point flying right over your head. Chip Kelly made the wrong QB decision but luckily the QB he thought was better got injured. Foles blew up and now Chip is a genius. Funny how that works.

Did you hear that? It was PTR'S point flying right over your head. Chip Kelly made the wrong QB decision but luckily the QB he thought was better got injured. Foles blew up and now Chip is a genius. Funny how that works.

So the point is that Chip Kelly got lucky and Doug Marrone didn't? Right. Keep telling yourselves that.

PTR

When it comes to QBs, it's usually better to be lucky than good. Foles just fell into Kelly's lap, despite himself.

I was actually hoping the same thing would happen with Thad or Tuel-- we need some of that dumb luck.