Texans Hire Bill O'Brien as Their Next Head Coach

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RapSheet

Hmmm RT @KimJonesSports: Bill O'Brien is due $836,065 bonus if he remains at Penn State thru 2013. Perhaps that is holding up his move

Its a good story...too bad its not true. His contract states "Coach shall be deemed to earn a pro-rata amount of the annual payment on a weekly basis...and coach shall be entitled to any amount earned, but unpaid, upon termination of his employment for any reason" So he isnt giving up anything (except maybe a week earned..) by waiting.

Good question...and i cant really intellegently debate this...but from what i gather, the recruiting budget, # of recruiting staff members, and some facilities are not up to par with top football schools. There has also been a reluctance from the administration to do anything positive for the football program for 2 years due to the scandal.

Good question...and i cant really intellegently debate this...but from what i gather, the recruiting budget, # of recruiting staff members, and some facilities are not up to par with top football schools. There has also been a reluctance from the administration to do anything positive for the football program for 2 years due to the scandal.

They just approved a 10 million dollar high-def scoreboard. The old scoreboard was a whopping 13 years old and probably used about a 100 times. They paid out about 150 million in settlements, lawyer fees and public relation fees. Ive been in their private dining hall, their indoor practice facility. Ive inspected the stadium as part of my job. They spent over 440,000 on football recruiting 2013. There isnt much lacking at PSU.

OBrien has made no secret about his desire to coach in the NFL, he gets the offer he's going to leave.

Edited by billsfan714

They just approved a 10 million dollar high-def scoreboard. The old scoreboard was a whopping 13 years old and probably used about a 100 times. They paid out about 150 million in settlements, lawyer fees and public relation fees. Ive been in their private dining hall, their indoor practice facility. Ive inspected the stadium as part of my job. They spent over 440,000 on football recruiting 2013. There isnt much lacking at PSU.

OBrien has made no secret about his desire to coach in the NFL, he gets the offer he's going to leave.

We'll see ... Dialogue is starting to change. CBS has reported Obrien took psu's offer to Houston and Houston balked at it. I can't imagine psu outbidding the nfl, so this may be a case of the deal falling apart and both sides are trying to save face. Doubt anything happens tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of more Houston interviews soon.

Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS)

12/31/13, 6:32 PM

Am told Bill O'Brien went back to #PennState & then circled back to the #Texans in negotiations but Houston brass didn't budge.

We'll see ... Dialogue is starting to change. CBS has reported Obrien took psu's offer to Houston and Houston balked at it. I can't imagine psu outbidding the nfl, so this may be a case of the deal falling apart and both sides are trying to save face. Doubt anything happens tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of more Houston interviews soon.

Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS)

12/31/13, 6:32 PM

Am told Bill O'Brien went back to #PennState & then circled back to the #Texans in negotiations but Houston brass didn't budge.

I think the buy-out is the one thing that hurts him. The one smart thing PSU did in that contract.

I think the buy-out is the one thing that hurts him. The one smart thing PSU did in that contract.

They reduced it in June. Hs original contract got automatically extended when sanctions were announced, and as a result he buyout got out of control. It was somewhere in the 12m range, which was too onerous. I'm not sure psu wants to renegotiate his contract every year like this...which could also be one reason psu would reuse to give into his demands.

I resent all coaches that tell the students they are staying and the next thing you know the coach is gone. I wish Penn State well and get a coach who will commit to the program and school for an extended time. O'Brien is walking into a good situation. Houston has talented players but a few glaring holes (offensive line and QB).

Not terribly surprised, but his credibility is gone IMO. He told recruits as soon as yesterday to ignore the noise, I'll be at penn state next year. He preached "you are nothng if you dont keep your word"....Well...I thought he was different...guess not.

I'm still not sure he is ready for the nfl...I'd rather see him have a couple more years of HC experience (his game day decisions and clock management were atrocious at times). Overall he is a good coach, and I wish him the best...but he isn't exact leaving psu in the dignified manner I would have expected from a man with such (alleged) high integrity.

Unfortunately the university is probably largely to blame for this as well. They don't want to continue investing in the football program due to the whole "incident".

Next man up.

Not terribly surprised, but his credibility is gone IMO. He told recruits as soon as yesterday to ignore the noise, I'll be at penn state next year. He preached "you are nothng if you dont keep your word"....Well...I thought he was different...guess not.

This is what irks me, as well. I don't understand how these college coaches can be so deceitful.

Don't make any promises if you aren't going to keep them.

Players jump ship all the time in recruiting as well.

His current players were told similar things....then apparently Obrien stopped returning their calls, and allegedly never gave a courtesy call/text saying he was gone. Handled poorly IMO.

However, tweets from current players are positive. Fans....not so much. Psu is in a better place than it was 2 Years ago thanks to obrien...but its teetering again pending a new hc and keeping this Top 15-20 recruiting class together....AGAIN.

It's crazy that JR/SR will have played under 4 head coaches in their college career.

It is different for the student athletes as their peers. They are shopping for a school to fit their needs and sometimes the first choice is the wrong one for them. Plenty of students transfers for academic and other reasons. I don't rip on them. The coaches are promising the young men that he will be there to help develop, mentor and coach them. These adult men have no honor because their word means nothing. How about when they pull scholarships for no reason? So when they dump on the students and flee to the next job all I feel is contempt for these men and sympathy for these kids.