What's the magic answer?

Dorkington

Last year and over the off season, many said the following changes were guaranteed to bring us more wins, and even the playoffs!

Replace Fitz - He, alone, was responsible for our offensive woes. Replacing him with a first round QB, and a solid vet would bring us success on offense. Drafted EJ, signed Kolb... and our offense has been roughly the same, and even worse in some metrics.

Fire Chan! - Chan is a softie. He's too old for the modern NFL. He doesn't know how to use his offensive weapons. Replacing him with an up and coming, no nonsense coach will result in our team being relevant. We hired some guy named Marrone... a plain spoken, package offense, no bull **** coach. Same record, maybe he needs to curse some more?

New Defensive Coordinator! - Stache was the worst. The guy before him was even worse! And the guy before that? UGH. We need a new, new guy! A guy that can get us pressure on the QB! Stop the run! In comes Pettine. Granted our defense has improved... we get more sacks and interceptions! But teams still, on average, have no real problems scoring on us. Scores are what counts, right? Or is it entertainment?

New Middle Linebacker! - Oh god, that guy last year... what was his name? Sheppard or something. Let's draft a stud! Legend of KIKO ALONSO time! Hey, also improved! Awesome! But wait... we're still 20th-ish in run defense, hm. He made a sweet leap over the pile though, that was cool.

----

Ok, that was mostly tongue in cheek. It's just frustrating that we do all the things we "needed" to do last off season, and still find ourselves at 6-10. What do we do next? Replace the cheerleaders?

Even after we did all that, I didn't have high hopes for the season.

Our HC, DC, OC and QB are all rookies. That's not a formula for immediate success. But if we chose the right ones, it may be a formula for long term success.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that was mostly tongue in cheek. It's just frustrating that we do all the things we "needed" to do last off season, and still find ourselves at 6-10. What do we do next? Replace the cheerleaders?

When you have all-new everything (coaches, schemes, many players, even the GM), especially 3 green QBs, winning a lot of games in year #1 is not a reasonable expectation.

I know many of us had great hopes for an instant turnaround, but you have to be realistic.

You can see the foundation being built this year, and another offseason (hopefully, offense-oriented FA and draft), Bills will be competitive next year.

Look at the Eagles, or Arizona, or San Diego, Philly,or even Jacksonville. You see the difference between these teams - a common factor is (except for Arizona) new, first time Head Coaches, and teams coming off losing records. Philly, especially, will be compared to Buffalo because of the college connection. I say the big difference between the success of Arizona and Philly, and relatively speaking even San Diego, is the QB play. Had Buffalo had CONSISTENT QB play, we'd be 10-5 right now, I'd bet.

So, although we need a bigger, more prototypical #1 WR, and a better TE, and perhaps another stud LB, our success or failure next year will come down to QB play.

I understand the "give Manuel time" argument, but I would protect this franchise by securing another high rated QB in this upcoming draft, so that we don't have to use this QB play as an excuse for another wasted coaching hire.

Look at the Eagles, or Arizona, or San Diego, Philly,or even Jacksonville. You see the difference between these teams - a common factor is (except for Arizona) new, first time Head Coaches, and teams coming off losing records. Philly, especially, will be compared to Buffalo because of the college connection. I say the big difference between the success of Arizona and Philly, and relatively speaking even San Diego, is the QB play. Had Buffalo had CONSISTENT QB play, we'd be 10-5 right now, I'd bet.

So, although we need a bigger, more prototypical #1 WR, and a better TE, and perhaps another stud LB, our success or failure next year will come down to QB play.

I understand the "give Manuel time" argument, but I would protect this franchise by securing another high rated QB in this upcoming draft, so that we don't have to use this QB play as an excuse for another wasted coaching hire.

Gee, wasn't Nick foles a 2nd year QB? Weren't the Eagles a playoff team or close to one the year before?

Let's just continually declare that the rookie/young QB on the Bills can NEVER get it done and continue to spend 1st round picks on QBs without investing in the OL, TE or WR positions...

I billieve the plan is working, the defense is improved and has young talent as depth and the offense has a young core of up and coming players at the skill positions. Continued focus on the draft and players that can provide an impact at G T LB WR RB or even QB immediately will improve the overall team and if they can grow together they will be a playoff team next year.The culture is already changing at one bills drive it's only a matter of time before we reap the rewards! I billieve!

Get a QB. That's it. A great QB gives you a solid and consistently good team with a winning record. Every player and coach will look better. New players will adjust more quickly. The winning atttitude will magically appear. All when you have a QB that can go toe to toe with Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers, etc.

We have to have patience, as fans. As much as it sucks to say that after all these years of sucking, but good QBs don't develop in one off season. Rookie QBs especially need to be given time to develop 3-4yrs minimum.

Now, I'm not saying give EJ time. I'm not saying draft another QB. I'm saying the FO needs to find a QB. And yes... draft a dozen guys, I don't care. Do what it takes (obviously I would hope it wouldn't take all that), bu find a guy. If the FO thinks its EJ, stick with him. If they're like alot of fans, not sure, then draft more guys. Because the bottomline in this leage is... get QB. But, we as fans have to realize that Whaley and Marrone 's careers will come down to who they settle on and how he develops in 3+ years. It sucks, but that's what it is. And until then... all the linemen, WRs, TEs, safties, waterboys, are just fluff.

My answer was going to be ...Beer !

But Dan you have a well balanced answer . Specific to Bills currently. Especially the bolded. Most of us are arguing about how to get that done lately. Again.

Unless Manuel somehow transforms into the second coming of Jim Kelly this offseason and Spiller becomes an every down back, that's just the way it is.

Yup, its a 2 player league. If you have a QB and a running back, there is no need for a roster.

The people here just continue to amaze.

Fantasy geekdom has ruined the fans of this game, as well as meaningful media analysis.

Refs, injuries, rule changes and Goodell have ruined the game PERIOD. It'll only get worse from here.

M X-mas

From a 50 year ex-fan of the NFL.

I'm sorry, I must have been in a coma. I could swear this QB and coaching staff had only been in place for one season.

PTR

+1

If the new coaches and QB don't immediately win every game that they play, they will clearly suck forever.

OMG, Jimmy Johnson was 8-24 in his first two years in Dallas - they should have fired him!

In Troy Aikman's first year as the Cowboys' QB he had 9 TDs, 18 INTs and a 56 QB rating - he will NEVER be any good. Hindsight proves that he should have been cut, but Jerry Jones "is cheap"!!!

When you have all-new everything (coaches, schemes, many players, even the GM), especially 3 green QBs, winning a lot of games in year #1 is not a reasonable expectation.

I know many of us had great hopes for an instant turnaround, but you have to be realistic.

You can see the foundation being built this year, and another offseason (hopefully, offense-oriented FA and draft), Bills will be competitive next year.

So very well said Dennis in AZ. seriously well put .

:worthy::thumbsup:

My magic answer is actually , still , beer . proves God loves us. although being a Buffalo Bills fan has sure tested and trialed us all these years :beer:

How can you even remotely knock Kiko when he could easily be the DPOY. And how do you knock the D when we're top 10 and just had 1 of only 2 shutouts in the NFL this year (against a playoff team...at least as it sits now).

Edited by SameOldBills

Yup, its a 2 player league. If you have a QB and a running back, there is no need for a roster.

The people here just continue to amaze.

Fantasy geekdom has ruined the fans of this game, as well as meaningful media analysis.

Refs, injuries, rule changes and Goodell have ruined the game PERIOD. It'll only get worse from here.

M X-mas

From a 50 year ex-fan of the NFL.

Jaybee i dont think The codemonkey feels its that simple . Thats just a piece part of his larger perception and taking a bit of it for reference.

Took me awhile to like him too . He like others here , make sense now and agin. And on an occasion or so , not alot mind you , have given me some insight . At my age i dont change opinions much . So most of it bounces off like watered duck .

Go Bills and Happy New Year

I hate to break the bad news but until they have a new owner you won't see much improvement. It all starts at the top just like any other business. New ownership and new management. The guys running the show now are not capable of competing with the good organizations in the NFL. From management to scouting to coaching. Sorry folks but they just aren't competent.

I hate to break the bad news but until they have a new owner you won't see much improvement. It all starts at the top just like any other business. New ownership and new management. The guys running the show now are not capable of competing with the good organizations in the NFL. From management to scouting to coaching. Sorry folks but they just aren't competent.

Trite cliches. Things have already changed dramatically for the better.

And yet KC has lost 4 of their last 5 games....

True, but sitting at 11-4 and guaranteed a playoff birth, I'd say they're considerably better than what they were.

And yes, teams can have bad years like the Giants this year. But, that's the Giants with 2 Super Bowl wins having a bad year. Or the Super Bowl winning Saints having a bad year after being rocked with scandals. But, is there any doubt that those teams, with their QBs, are a much better, playoff contending team than all the hapless teams like the Bills without a QB?

PS. I'm not saying a QB is the only thing you need. But, a QB is required to be a consistently good team that contends for the playoffs each year. Furthermore, I contend the Bills currently have a good enough team for the playoffs... if they could get a good QB.

Edited by Dan

Last year and over the off season, many said the following changes were guaranteed to bring us more wins, and even the playoffs!

Replace Fitz - He, alone, was responsible for our offensive woes. Replacing him with a first round QB, and a solid vet would bring us success on offense. Drafted EJ, signed Kolb... and our offense has been roughly the same, and even worse in some metrics.

Fire Chan! - Chan is a softie. He's too old for the modern NFL. He doesn't know how to use his offensive weapons. Replacing him with an up and coming, no nonsense coach will result in our team being relevant. We hired some guy named Marrone... a plain spoken, package offense, no bull **** coach. Same record, maybe he needs to curse some more?

New Defensive Coordinator! - Stache was the worst. The guy before him was even worse! And the guy before that? UGH. We need a new, new guy! A guy that can get us pressure on the QB! Stop the run! In comes Pettine. Granted our defense has improved... we get more sacks and interceptions! But teams still, on average, have no real problems scoring on us. Scores are what counts, right? Or is it entertainment?

New Middle Linebacker! - Oh god, that guy last year... what was his name? Sheppard or something. Let's draft a stud! Legend of KIKO ALONSO time! Hey, also improved! Awesome! But wait... we're still 20th-ish in run defense, hm. He made a sweet leap over the pile though, that was cool.

----

Last I checked we were 6-9 not 6-10.

That is all.

To the bolded, you're already giving New England the win?

:P

I can think of a few magic answers...

1. Replace Legursky and Pears on the offensive line. I'd spend 2 draft picks within the first four rounds on the offensive line, or spend 1 high pick and bring in a high quality free agent. Some people might disagree with me regarding Pears, but IMO he was wildly inconsistent this year. His run blocking was especially bad.

2. Bring in a legitimate #1 WR. A guy that is "open when he isn't open." Something this team has been lacking since Moulds. Mike Evans in the draft would be nice.

3. Bring in a legitimate QB coach to mentor EJ. Hackett is not that guy IMO.

7. Find a way to adjust the offensive scheme such that CJ can get the ball in space. I realize that this has become cliche at this point, but really, it this that hard to figure out? Posts about CJ being a bust and trading him just make me sick. Most poorly utilized player in the NFL, IMO.

Great stuff, JH.

I've been meaning to start a post making the analogy between "batterymates" in baseball and quarterbacks/wide receivers in football. I'll save it for another time.

Bottom line, it's hard to be successful as a rookie QB when 3 of your top 4 wide receivers are rookies or 2nd-year disappointments.

It's often pointed out around here how seldom rookie wide receivers make an impact but it's never mentioned that teaming a rookie QB with rookie WRs is a recipe for failure.

Add to that your inexperienced OC doing double duty as the QBs Coach and you've created quite a steep slope.

I guess it's just easier to just say the (rookie) QB sucks.

+1

If the new coaches and QB don't immediately win every game that they play, they will clearly suck forever.

OMG, Jimmy Johnson was 8-24 in his first two years in Dallas - they should have fired him!

In Troy Aikman's first year as the Cowboys' QB he had 9 TDs, 18 INTs and a 56 QB rating - he will NEVER be any good. Hindsight proves that he should have been cut, but Jerry Jones "is cheap"!!!

Great post.

Sometimes it seems like every poster here has been following the NFL for two years. It's frustrating as hell how little perspective people have, even those who should know better.

I guess we should be glad that we're here for them to vent so they can feel better getting stuff off their chests.

Like many here, I'd love to say a superstar QB is all we lack. But this 6-10/7-9 team is really just 2 steps away from contending:

1) Consistent play @ QB.

2) Reduce the penalties.

If we had #1, we'd be in a winner take all game this Sunday. If Marrone (& Co.) get tough on reducing drive-killing penalties/ opponent drive-saving penalties, we'd be resting star players in a meaningless game Sunday.