Alan Branch Signs Extension

FluffHead

The Seahawks dare the refs to call a penalty on EVERY play. Explain to me why we don't want to emulate that D?

Also: my original point was that Gilmore has tremendously improved the whole of the defense. Don't know how this can be refuted.

Should also be mentioned that Branch came our way from Seattle.

I didn't disagree with your point; I simply mentioned that Gilmore's style of play is very similar to what the top CBs in the game do

Woodson plays a similar style, Ty Law used to routinely mug wideouts.

I prefer a cleaner style of CB play but Gilmore is gonna be an excellent player and his style of play is not uncommon.

But of course he's a Bill so he sucks.

Indeed

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't disagree with your point; I simply mentioned that Gilmore's style of play is very similar to what the top CBs in the game do

Indeed

Precisely. Seems clear though that Defensewinzz believes the physical play to be some sort of deficiency when it's plainly not, when it's in fact a habit of the elite.

Precisely. Seems clear though that Defensewinzz believes the physical play to be some sort of deficiency when it's plainly not, when it's in fact a habit of the elite.

getting beaten like a drum however is not. He's looking better & I'm hoping for a strong 3rd season.

You don't feel that "beaten like a drum" is severe hyperbole in this case?

A bit of hyperbole, I would say, but then again -- getting soundly beaten on a 3rd and 18 with your opponent's back squarely against the ropes for a 50-yard catch is inexcusable.

I will note that I am a Gilmore supporter, by the way. I think he's struggled this year, but I also think he's going to be outstanding next year.

Edited by Rubes

Ok. I agree with the "habit of the elite" comment because of the use of the word "habit". It makes perfect sense with the use of that one word. Darrell Revis, who up to last year was considered to be the best CB in the league, imo holds more than Gilmore. He does in a perfect way that the refs don't see it. Gilmore's holds are a bit more obvious.

My point is that if you watch McKelvin play corner, he can stay with his guy after the 5 yard mark step for step without contacting the WR, better than the likes of Revis and Gilmore. Of course this is just my opinion.

Another thing as to what you said earlier. Yes, the defense "as a whole" HAS gotten better with the return of Gilmore. But how are we to know that it was BECAUSE of Gilmore returning and not simply that the players on D became more comfortable with the system? Also, I remember last year when McKelvin was out for a couple of games and our D was horrible. I'm not saying it's BECAUSE McKelvin was absent because we all know Wanny's system just flat out sucked.

All I know is this. I'm a Bills fan and as a Bills fan I want all our players to succeed. Especially our 1st round draft picks. I'm just disappointed in Gilmore's play as of late is all I originally said. I'm in no way calling him a bust or giving up on him. I just feel like he can play better. Him and McKelvin make a great duo and I wouldn't want to lose either one of them. Especially after the season McKelvin is having. Just please take him off of punt return duty.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Ok. I agree with the "habit of the elite" comment because of the use of the word "habit". It makes perfect sense with the use of that one word. Darrell Revis, who up to last year was considered to be the best CB in the league, imo holds more than Gilmore. He does in a perfect way that the refs don't see it. Gilmore's holds are a bit more obvious.

My point is that if you watch McKelvin play corner, he can stay with his guy after the 5 yard mark step for step without contacting the WR, better than the likes of Revis and Gilmore. Of course this is just my opinion.

Another thing as to what you said earlier. Yes, the defense "as a whole" HAS gotten better with the return of Gilmore. But how are we to know that it was BECAUSE of Gilmore returning and not simply that the players on D became more comfortable with the system? Also, I remember last year when McKelvin was out for a couple of games and our D was horrible. I'm not saying it's BECAUSE McKelvin was absent because we all know Wanny's system just flat out sucked.

All I know is this. I'm a Bills fan and as a Bills fan I want all our players to succeed. Especially our 1st round draft picks. I'm just disappointed in Gilmore's play as of late is all I originally said. I'm in no way calling him a bust or giving up on him. I just feel like he can play better. Him and McKelvin make a great duo and I wouldn't want to lose either one of them. Especially after the season McKelvin is having. Just please take him off of punt return duty.

To the bolded, I agree wholeheartedly.

McKelvin is more of a shadow corner. I think Donnie Henderson is doing an amazing job with McKelvin. On a few replays I can tell McKelvin while running stride for stride is focusing on the wideout from the shoulder to the hips. It seems like he's become adept at reading strides and knowing when the wideout is gonna cut or change direction. This skill is probably also a function of "film" study.

It seems like McKelvin has been very studious about the players he's matched against and he has been staying in hip pockets without using much grabbing, in contrast to Gilmore and others that play the grabby style.

Woodson plays a similar style, Ty Law used to routinely mug wideouts.

I prefer a cleaner style of CB play but Gilmore is gonna be an excellent player and his style of play is not uncommon.

But of course he's a Bill so he sucks.

It snot that. I just cant dig that kinda play .

But if thats the norm i guess i cant forsaken him.

as long as he plays the run tough. Then i will forgive him for kinda cheating

McKelvin is more of a shadow corner. I think Donnie Henderson is doing an amazing job with McKelvin. On a few replays I can tell McKelvin while running stride for stride is focusing on the wideout from the shoulder to the hips. It seems like he's become adept at reading strides and knowing when the wideout is gonna cut or change direction. This skill is probably also a function of "film" study.

It seems like McKelvin has been very studious about the players he's matched against and he has been staying in hip pockets without using much grabbing, in contrast to Gilmore and others that play the grabby style.

The man switches hips like no one i have ever noticed before that Leodis. Gilmore cant doesnt do that. he has to keep the play in front of him

McKelvin and Donnie should be both teaching Stephon the fine art. Which Henderson has just recently dialed up within Leo .

The future looks very bright in the Bills secondary !

Go Happy !

so how about that Branch dude clogging lanes ? Imagine when Carrington returns! Pettine has every tech and scheme player he could imagine available to him.

DC nirvana.

Go Branch !

Edited by 3rdand12

It snot that. I just cant dig that kinda play .

But if thats the norm i guess i cant forsaken him.

as long as he plays the run tough. Then i will forgive him for kinda cheating

The man switches hips like no one i have ever noticed before that Leodis. Gilmore cant doesnt do that. he has to keep the play in front of him

McKelvin and Donnie should be both teaching Stephon the fine art. Which Henderson has just recently dialed up within Leo .

The future looks very bright in the Bills secondary !

Go Happy !

so how about that Branch dude clogging lanes ? Imagine when Carrington returns! Pettine has every tech and scheme player he could imagine available to him.

DC nirvana.

Go Branch !

You know what E?

I'm really pleased with the team's progress this year.

For the good of the board I'm trying to temper it with the knowledge that I'm a hopeless optimist, even as an old fogy.

But I love the way this defense is growing and I believe in the quarterback.

Hopefully the offensive coaching is good enough but I'd like to see a third strategist in the room.

+1

You know what E?

I'm really pleased with the team's progress this year.

For the good of the board I'm trying to temper it with the knowledge that I'm a hopeless optimist, even as an old fogy.

But I love the way this defense is growing and I believe in the quarterback.

Hopefully the offensive coaching is good enough but I'd like to see a third strategist in the room.

: )

you mean the QB Coach ?

Edited by 3rdand12

It's confirmed, Branch signed a 3 year extension worth 8.5 million with a 3.1 million signing bonus and 875k guaranteed. Great deal for Bills.

That is a great deal. Good signing bonus for Branch.

Hope this is the beginning of a good offseason.

For a guy sure to see a lot of snaps -- this is a damn good deal. Carrington would be a bonus at this point. Because of the injury he might be smart to take a one or two year deal -- maybe 2 years, 3.5 million, $1.5 million signing bonus with bases at the vet min for his experience. He competes for a roster spot with Bryant (who has been pretty good) and Charles.

Bills have a lot of guys on D they have to pay in the next few years...Byrd, Aaron Williams, Dareus, Hughes but they also have some players in rookie contracts for a while that are quite friendly -- Kiko, Robey, Gilmore--The D has a chance to stay pretty stable and formidable for the next three years. I would still offer Byrd a top tier contract-- let Aaron Williams go at contract end (That is really, really tough to write) and keep Leonhard at the vet min.) and let Dareus play next year without a new deal. Byrd -- 6 years -- $45 million, $18 million guaranteed, salaries $1 million, $4 million, $5 million, $5 million, $6 million, $6 million....Hughes has blossomed but after next year someone will pay him more than the Bills want to...the question is can the Bills replicate his production and I think they can cheaper by drafting someone this year and giving him a year to develop.

One thing that struck me about next year's cap analysis is that we save $6 million on the 2014 cap by cutting Pears and Kolb....

Edited by JoeF

It's confirmed, Branch signed a 3 year extension worth 8.5 million with a 3.1 million signing bonus and 875k guaranteed. Great deal for Bills.

Great deal indeed.....surprisingly great.

I'm wondering how after we thought he was worth $3m for a test drive in 2013, we can then get him for $2.83m/year after he produced well.

I'm very happy with this :)

Edited by Dibs