Alan Branch Signs Extension

FluffHead

I 100% agree with this. I think the system took some time for the players to get more comfortable in it. I also think would like Carrington back, but i would be no means over pay for him. That is where the Bills F.O will have to look at the entire budget and figure out a suitable offer. I am sure he will get an offer from the Bills.

I agree Carrington is a solid versatile back up in my opinion. A guy who can play all along the Dline it appears. Nose gaurd is a stretch but DT or DE is not.

To also note, Carrington hasn't even begun to grasp this system yet. If he was playing average to above average in Wanny's system, I believe in Pettine's system he will be THAT much of a better player.

This system seems to make everyone play at a high level (except Gilmore). The Gilmore comment was a joke as I'm quite irritated at his play of late lol.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To also note, Carrington hasn't even begun to grasp this system yet. If he was playing average to above average in Wanny's system, I believe in Pettine's system he will be THAT much of a better player.

This system seems to make everyone play at a high level (except Gilmore). The Gilmore comment was a joke as I'm quite irritated at his play of late lol.

I too am disappointed with Gilmore's play this season, but I'm not giving up on him.

There were a good amount of people on this board(you know who you are) that were saying what a bust Dareus was last season.

I think it's only fair to give Gilmore another shot. I don't think his rookie season was an aberration.

This seems to be a great signing because it takes away leverage from Carrington. We can now afford NOT to overpay for Carrington. If he's too expensive, and with that idiot agent he probably will be, then they can let him walk and replace him through the draft or elsewhere. Branch is a fine player and a high character guy. The type that helps the team add up to greater than the sum of its parts. We need more wise front office moves like this. This is part of the reason why the Patriots win. They don't let players hold them hostage.

I too am disappointed with Gilmore's play this season, but I'm not giving up on him.

There were a good amount of people on this board(you know who you are) that were saying what a bust Dareus was last season.

I think it's only fair to give Gilmore another shot. I don't think his rookie season was an aberration.

I was never of the ones to call Dareus a bust. I was disappointed in his play last year but never thought of him to be a bust and was willing to give him another shot (especially after the death in his family). But I will openly admit that I thought Aaron Williams was a waste of a draft pick and also I will add that I was of the ones calling for Robey's head after the preseason. Boy was I wrong on those two guys.

I also never gave up on McKelvin. To me, he was always a better cover corner than Gilmore and thought his only problem was to locate the ball. He (McKelvin) has much improved and the problem I have with Gilmore (and this goes back to last year also) is, he holds all his receivers and if they get out of his grasp, he gets beat for big gains.

May be you two should check out the defensive stats since his return.

May be you two should check out the defensive stats since his return.

So what you're saying is, stats determine how good a player is right? Am I correct on that?

So let's say Mario had 7 sacks in one game and played 40 snaps on defense. If he let his guy beat him the other 33 snaps and cost us 4 touchdowns, does that make it a hell of a day for him? No. Stats don't tell the whole story...

Good move on the Bills part. The kid is good player and you would pay a lot more to resign him in the off season if he hit free agency.

They should have done the same thing with Byrd when they had the chance. A player will usually sign for less if you don't insult his intelligence by trying to low ball him below his market value.

Branch has taken his opportunity and done well indeed.

He is a good fit here.

Glad we have a player speaking highly of the team and its future. I believe that he believes. Get Carrington back and we don't NEED any D lineman this off season.

That allows the LB and work on the offense.

well done Whaley

I have to agree it would be nice sign Carrington, he has good potential. But you have to hope he wants a fair deal and doesn't over price himself. I would like to have him back but I wouldn't break the bank for him. We'll see what kind of contract he wants and then we'll know what the chances are they resign him. .

Edited by littlelouie

So what you're saying is, stats determine how good a player is right? Am I correct on that?

So let's say Mario had 7 sacks in one game and played 40 snaps on defense. If he let his guy beat him the other 33 snaps and cost us 4 touchdowns, does that make it a hell of a day for him? No. Stats don't tell the whole story...

You don't actually expect anyone to buy that analogy, do you?

You don't actually expect anyone to buy that analogy, do you?

I don't understand why anyone would buy your "stats" analogy. Why? Cuz you have 11,000 posts? Stats are just stats. Gilmore's "stats" doesn't prove he's on the incline. The guy holds every WR. Holds them worse than Drayton Florence.

I don't understand why anyone would buy your "stats" analogy. Why? Cuz you have 11,000 posts? Stats are just stats. Gilmore's "stats" doesn't prove he's on the incline. The guy holds every WR. Holds them worse than Drayton Florence.

At some point in my 11,000 posts, I may have mentioned something about Gilmore's stats. But in this case, you're refuting a point I never made.

Not to go overboard on the whole stats thing, but they do provide some tangible evidence regarding his impact on the defense instead of your sweeping overgeneralized analysis of "the guy holds every WR."

Not to go overboard on the whole stats thing, but they do provide some tangible evidence regarding his impact on the defense instead of your sweeping overgeneralized analysis of "the guy holds every WR."

It's actually not overgeneralized. I obviously can't see every single snap that he plays. But on the ones where the opposing team decide to throw to the WR he's covering and the ones where they show a replay on, Gilmore holds/push/tries to hold or touch the receiver past the legal 5 yard mark. Once in a blue he has excellent coverage with no contact. My opinion only but, McKelvin covers better than him...

It's actually not overgeneralized. I obviously can't see every single snap that he plays. But on the ones where the opposing team decide to throw to the WR he's covering and the ones where they show a replay on, Gilmore holds/push/tries to hold or touch the receiver past the legal 5 yard mark.

You might actually notice that most corners, even the top ones, do this on a regular basis. It's how the position needs to be played these days.

You might actually notice that most corners, even the top ones, do this on a regular basis. It's how the position needs to be played these days.

Yep...watch Richard Sherman on all-22 some time. You think Gilmore holds a lot? You ain't seen nothin' yet...they could re-name the penalty "Shermaning".

It's actually not overgeneralized. I obviously can't see every single snap that he plays. But on the ones where the opposing team decide to throw to the WR he's covering and the ones where they show a replay on, Gilmore holds/push/tries to hold or touch the receiver past the legal 5 yard mark. Once in a blue he has excellent coverage with no contact. My opinion only but, McKelvin covers better than him...

Yep...watch Richard Sherman on all-22 some time. You think Gilmore holds a lot? You ain't seen nothin' yet...they could re-name the penalty "Shermaning".

The Seahawks dare the refs to call a penalty on EVERY play. Explain to me why we don't want to emulate that D?

Also: my original point was that Gilmore has tremendously improved the whole of the defense. Don't know how this can be refuted.

Should also be mentioned that Branch came our way from Seattle.

Woodson plays a similar style, Ty Law used to routinely mug wideouts.

I prefer a cleaner style of CB play but Gilmore is gonna be an excellent player and his style of play is not uncommon.

But of course he's a Bill so he sucks.